Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I guess living in this city, it's not an "IF", but a "WHEN"..... but we've gone over 16 years with good luck... until this.... some BOZO in a F-150 plowing full speed into my family as they stopped in the freeway traffic launching it 20 feet into the car ahead.

Thank Goodness, our Beautiful NEW Baby sacrificed itself to save my wife and two boys. All the MB safety Gizmos worked, as advertised, and there were relatively minor injuries.

My DIY Body Repair is limited to Chassis on Frame type work. Any experts out there on the Monocoaque Unibody-Type construction who could comment on the concept that "C-Pillar Damage" equals "Frame Damage"

Either way, its going to be ANOTHER trip to Stuttgart for a 2011.

Attachments

·
Registered
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
463 Posts
Well, I guess living in this city, it's not an "IF", but a "WHEN"..... but we've gone over 16 years with good luck... until this.... some BOZO in a F-150 plowing full speed into my family as they stopped in the freeway traffic launching it 20 feet into the car ahead.

Thank Goodness, our Beautiful NEW Baby sacrificed itself to save my wife and two boys. All the MB safety Gizmos worked, as advertised, and there were relatively minor injuries.

My DIY Body Repair is limited to Chassis on Frame type work. Any experts out there on the Monocoaque Unibody-Type construction who could comment on the concept that "C-Pillar Damage" equals "Frame Damage"

Either way, its going to be ANOTHER trip to Stuttgart for a 2011.
Thanks GOD your wife & the boys are safe You can replace the car but NOT your family. God Bless.

·
Registered
'11 350 4matic-AMG Wheels-Tint-Debadge-Clear Side Markers-Spoiler-HID's-VIM-Sprint Boost
56 Posts
G-AMG, Sorry to hear the news and see the details. Thank god everyone is safe and sound...and that you were protected by the Benz. Good luck.

·
Registered
2010 E350, 2012 ML350
17 Posts
I feel your pain G-AMG. Glad your Merc did its job in protecting your family. We had a similar thing happen to our brand new C-280 in 1998. It had only 1500 miles on it when my wife fell asleep at the wheel and ran into a trailer being pulled by a truck. It pretty much demolished the left front of the car and the air bags left my wife startled but not a scratch. We put the car in a top-notch repair shop and it ended up taking 7 months to get the car back. The problem was Mercedes not having the parts available. After one month without parts they started paying the bill for our rental car and paying our monthly payments on the loan. We were told that they finally shut down the production line in Germany to get the parts to us. I hope yours goes better.

·
Registered
W212 E350: AMG Sport/P2/Pano/Etc. & '09 Chevy Malibu / Sold M-B's: '06 E350 & '02 S500
514 Posts
Aw, man. That's the second White W212 I've seen posted on a Forum with that exact damage and type of accident. :(

Very glad to hear your family is okay, and the car will be back to perfect when you replace it, or fix it (if no frame damage).

Hopefully the bozo in the Truck learns a helluva costly lesson. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments.

The 7-month ordeal is what I dread... which is "Probably" what is going to happen. Why? The W212 is a NEW vehicle to USA, so would you expect them to have PARTS here? I think not... sooooo, i'm expecting the "Oh we have to ship EVERY part from Germany.."

We have already made up our minds.... "Repaired or not"... We want a NEW vehicle.

I am an Anal-Compulsive MB Owner, and would NEVER be happy knowing I'm driving a "de-flowered" car. Every single rattle or squeak would drive me nuts, and constantly remind me the "baby" we delivered out of the Sindelfingen Factory Womb is Damaged Goods.

Now the *REAL* Pain- having to deal with Bozo's Insurance company.....

The good news is, my wife was really "addicted" to the car, even with all of our other choices in the garages... so she'll be salivating at the opportunity to get a replacement.

G

·
Registered
W212 E350: AMG Sport/P2/Pano/Etc. & '09 Chevy Malibu / Sold M-B's: '06 E350 & '02 S500
514 Posts
Nice. Yeah, I understand. Anything beyond simple panel/bumper repairs is a no game for me as well. If the dreaded happened to my car, and the repairs were more extensive than to my tastes, I'd want to get a replacement, repaired or not. Good luck!

·
Registered
143 Posts
It makes me sad when I hear these stories but it's an inherent part of city driving especially with so many cars on the road every minute. Most important thing is that your family is safe and the "E" did it's job in protecting your loved ones.

From your photos of the damages, the insurance company may likely declare it a total loss and issue a replacement at blue book value. It depends on the insurance company of the other party....some will declare total loss if the repair cost is too great such as material/labor/time. Some insurance authorized body shops do have the technology for frame repair but liability is too great so make sure you demand for a replacement if that is the case.

All the best.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From your photos of the damages, the insurance company may likely declare it a total loss and issue a replacement at blue book value. It depends on the insurance company of the other party....some will declare total loss if the repair cost is too great such as material/labor/time. Some insurance authorized body shops do have the technology for frame repair but liability is too great so make sure you demand for a replacement if that is the case.

All the best.
Well I would "love" it if they did... but for them to "total" it, typically this is when repairs are 70% of bluebook... since you guys know how much these babies cost... I doubt there is $40,000 in damage...

We are fortunate to have a MB "Certified" Collision repair center here in town. There are not too many around the country.

I'm sure this will be a VERY long, and painful drawn out process....

This Center has a GLK which has been there for 6 months, waiting on parts. The one down side to having a "newer" model... parts are not readily available Stateside, so you have to wait for Germany to ship them, and some parts obviously, by ship...

I'll keep you folks updated..

G

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
The pictures look much better than I expected from your description in our other communications. That said, it still looks awful and had your family been in a Camry or Accord, I don't think your focus would be on the car damage. Hope all the minor injuries have passed uneventfully.

And you have something else to rejoice about this Christmas, a family that is together and safe. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts