Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
You dont even need to know G code to program them, especially with today's software. Much of the new stuff is conversational programming, or the engineer just opens the drawing in a CAM program and pulls the info from it. ProtoTrak M2 and M3 machines exclusively use conversational programming. G coding is dying off...
G-code was always for the big kids. We Arduino folk are more concerned with gerbel.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
G-code was always for the big kids. We Arduino folk are more concerned with gerbel.
When I started programming there was no G code... pretty much everything was programmed in machine language using mnemonics. My first real programming job was with AMF (bowling products) on an IBM 1401 with 16K of core memory. They're beyond museum pieces now... they're more like ancient relics. For your viewing pleasure...
it brings back all sorts of memories for me, some good some not so good. :smile

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
When I started programming there was no G code... pretty much everything was programmed in machine language using mnemonics. My first real programming job was with AMF (bowling products) on an IBM 1401 with 16K of core memory. They're beyond museum pieces now... they're more like ancient relics. For your viewing pleasure... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFQ3sajIdaM it brings back all sorts of memories for me, some good some not so good. :smile
So you programmed all of those old school 80s bowling systems?

I loved those things. Nothing like walking into a bowling alley with that stink of cigarettes hanging over head, that smell of crappy beer, greasy pizza, and bowling rumble.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,829 Posts
I believe at the time making CAFE mileage numbers was the focus. Then in 86 they said F it and made the 560's complete with gas guzzler tax.

At the Irvine Classic Center tucked away in a corner up on a top rackshelf is a nondescript 380SL with some 40K(iirc) miles on the odometer that allegedly has never been road driven. Ever.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Y Like you I lived in a back water area of the country and R107's were only driven by very successful surgeons and CEOs and were very rare.

:wink
Despite the name, Hicksville was and is no backwater. It's a large community on Long Island! Famous for producing singer Billy Joel, among others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
BUT, I think the #1 reason is Mercedes did not stand behind the cursed "Single Row Timing Chain" in 1981-1983 models (like a more humbler auto company like Toyota did to correct their F-ups) and it gave the 3.8L engine a bad reputation. Mercedes the corporation can K.M.A. :wink
Sorry to bring this thread back to the subject of cars. We purchased a 1982 Mercedes 380SEC, new. One of the first things that happened is a factory recall to replace the single row timing chain with a dual row timing chain at no cost (either parts or labor). We still have the car.

An after-market 500SL was probably nice. I have a 1986 560SL that was my daily driver for years. It now has 250,000 miles without any work on the engine or transmission. I did install a garage hoist to handle the hard top.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
Despite the name, Hicksville was and is no backwater. It's a large community on Long Island! Famous for producing singer Billy Joel, among others.
Billy was from Levittown not Hicksville. He was part of the group that hung out together at the "Green". "Do you remember those nights hanging out at the Village Green? Engineer boots leather jackets and tight blue jeans". Billy was 2 years younger than me so he was a member of what we called the "Baby Green", guys my age were just "The Green" and my older brother's age group were called the "Senior Green".

My father had a full grand piano in our living room... Billy used to love playing that piano... if I remember correctly, Billy had an old beat up upright that his mother forced him to practice classical piano. He was always making songs up about people he knew. Even back then his talent was obvious... his first band consisted of guys from the neighborhood that we all knew, I think the group was named "The Hassles".

bTw... When my family moved to Hicksville I was 2 years old and it most definitely was a backwater town. Old Country Road, presently a major roadway, was a 2 lane dirt road when I was a kid. There was nothing north of Hicksville other than potato farms, and the major industry of Long Island was truck farming. It's amazing what changes 70 years can bring. :laugh

·
Registered
184 Posts
Billy was from Levittown not Hicksville. He was part of the group that hung out together at the "Green". "Do you remember those nights hanging out at the Village Green? Engineer boots leather jackets and tight blue jeans". Billy was 2 years younger than me so he was a member of what we called the "Baby Green", guys my age were just "The Green" and my older brother's age group were called the "Senior Green".

My father had a full grand piano in our living room... Billy used to love playing that piano... if I remember correctly, Billy had an old beat up upright that his mother forced him to practice classical piano. He was always making songs up about people he knew. Even back then his talent was obvious... his first band consisted of guys from the neighborhood that we all knew, I think the group was named "The Hassles".

bTw... When my family moved to Hicksville I was 2 years old and it most definitely was a backwater town. Old Country Road, presently a major roadway, was a 2 lane dirt road when I was a kid. There was nothing north of Hicksville other than potato farms, and the major industry of Long Island was truck farming. It's amazing what changes 70 years can bring. :laugh
My older brothers used to go see the Hassles at, if I remember correctly, the Hullaballu.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Does anyone else here prefer the US version to the Euro one? (Aesthetically, not considering the stuff under the hood)

I've always thought the US ones had more character. I feel this way about all the 70's-80's Benzes. The flat squared headlights just kind of look... Plain are I say.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Does anyone else here prefer the US version to the Euro one? (Aesthetically, not considering the stuff under the hood)

I've always thought the US ones had more character. I feel this way about all the 70's-80's Benzes. The flat squared headlights just kind of look... Plain are I say.
I like big BUMPERS and I cannot lie.

You euro drivers can't deny.

When a Benz comes in with round headlights and FED trim,
'cept it's got a detuned engine which gets you BUMMED!

Only race pick up trucks, cuz of that EPA pollution stuff.

So fellas
Ja!

Fellas
Ja!

Does your Benz got that bumpin' stuff?

Hölle ja!

So tell 'em to Floor it! (Floor it)
Floor it! (floor it)

Floor that malaise era LUX!

Benzs got class!

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
So you programmed all of those old school 80s bowling systems?

I loved those things. Nothing like walking into a bowling alley with that stink of cigarettes hanging over head, that smell of crappy beer, greasy pizza, and bowling rumble.
No. I worked in the Bowling Products Division in the early 70's... bowling alleys were a different division and I'm not even sure they used computers over there at all, unless you consider pin setting machines to be computers.

It was a different world back then... not better or worse, just different. The 1401 had only a fraction of the computing power found in the average iPhone today and yet we serviced the mammoth Bowling Products Division of American Machine and Foundry (AMF) with a machine that had 16K of memory (it may have been upgraded to 32K, I don't have enough memory to remember).

As a programmer, I had to keep track of every byte. Unlike today when the cheapest PC has more executable memory than even the capacity of the largest tape reels at the time (no disks yet). And you seriously wouldn't believe how the memory (core) was made... it was sewed by women wearing magnifying glasses. What?

Yup, the term "core" refers to a tiny little magnetic core (donut) that you could barely see. Tiny little wires were weaved through the almost microscopic cores placed in an X/Y grid configuration using what was essentially a needle. If I remember correctly each core had 3 or 4 wires that were weaved through it like you were making a screen for a door. One wire was in the X direction and one in the Y direction. Then there was a sense wire (used to determine the direction of the magnetic flux) and a refresh wire (used to restore the magnetic flux to the condition prior to reading with the "sense" wire. Yes... reading a bit in core memory was a destructive process so the memory had to be refreshed every time it was read.

I found a YouTube video that explains how core memory works. Way OT but very interesting (to me anyway). The guy even mentions the 1401. Enjoy...

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,467 Posts

The smaller bumpers and Euro headlights have sleeker, more refined look.

The bug eyes give a look of surprise :eek: probably at the huge protuberances on the front and rear.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
As a programmer, I had to keep track of every byte. Unlike today when the cheapest PC has more executable memory than even the capacity of the largest tape reels at the time (no disks yet).

You made me reminisce my first programming class in 1969, Fortran IV.
Teacher was a cute Puerto Rican woman who was adamant about conserving both bytes and microseconds and made demerits on our programs too. I remember wondering what she would be like in the sack :)

·
Registered
9,654 Posts

BTW was that dirt road now Rt 107???

·
Registered
362 Posts
I like big BUMPERS and I cannot lie.

You euro drivers can't deny.

When a Benz comes in with round headlights and FED trim,
'cept it's got a detuned engine which gets you BUMMED!

Only race pick up trucks, cuz of that EPA pollution stuff.

So fellas
Ja!

Fellas
Ja!

Does your Benz got that bumpin' stuff?

Hölle ja!

So tell 'em to Floor it! (Floor it)
Floor it! (floor it)

Floor that malaise era LUX!

Benzs got class!
This is great. The "ja"'s killed me.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The smaller bumpers and Euro headlights have sleeker, more refined look.

The bug eyes give a look of surprise :eek: probably at the huge protuberances on the front and rear.
I can see that. The Eruos on the SL's are okay with me, but the Euros on the w126, w124, and w201 models I'd prefer not.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
16 Participants
Jyuma
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing