Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can a stuck caliper make the whole car vibrate?

it sort of seemed like a boomy sort of echoy loudness in the car, it wasnt like a boom and it started being weird, i just noticed after a while that the car seemed slower and louder/more harsh to ride in than previously.

it sort of ruined the whole tanklike silence(on the freeway) that ive come to value in the car!

anything? bearings? caliper like i thought?

do sticking calipers get worse usually? the only other old cars ie ever driven are vws and they dont even have calipers!

*edit*

What is the tool i need to unstick the caliper(s) called?

A

·
0 Posts
as far as ur noise goes, i have no idea. i am 99 percent sure its not ur caliper, unless its stuck and worn the pads all the way down, und ur hearing metal on metal, that could be it.

the tool looks like some wierd cube. its called caliper cylinder turning tool, or something similar. go to autozone, and look by the tools for the "cube" it fits onto ur ratchet, for the actual turning. each face has a different pattern, one face is for benz. if u dont see it, ask at the counter, they will have it.

·
Registered
84 300TD, 2005 CDI, 2006 CLS55
1,041 Posts
If you have a stuck caliper that is stuck closed you can tell by touching the wheels after a longer drive- the one stuck will be quite hot to touch- the others not hot. If it's stuck open there is no heat and no vibration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts