Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we took the benz to wal mart tonight and its raining cats and dogs out. im not sure if this is related or not!

the car seems as if it has less juice when you turn it to the cranking position it has full power at the acc position, the radio, headlights and all are fully functional but when you turn the key to crank it, the lights and accessories get very dim and it clicks and wont turn over.

id like to get my baby out of the parking lot! i dont like the idea of leaving it that far from home, but in the same vein, i also think it ould be stupid to pay a tow truck 75 dollars to pull it the 7 miles home so i can find out its a dead fuse!

have any of youall experienced this before? my sister mentioned that it does it in the rain, but i dont seem to remember having any problems in the rain. many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
The rain has nothing to do with it. Sounds to me like you’re saying the voltage regulator and battery are good – that the battery’s getting and holding a good charge. If that’s the case and absolutely nothing happens when you turn the key to start, I say the starter’s bad.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eh, dont mind me, im apparently a Mercedes hypocondriac!

we tried to jump it off with my sisters new model Taurus and it didnt do a thing! in fact, the taurus seemed to actualy drain the MB's battery!

after thinking and cursing the Germans a while, i finally decided to go and take the neon up there and try it.

what do you know, the happy meal toy car jumped the big hulking diesel on the first try!

why would a jump make a dead battery drain? as soon as we hooked up the taurus the buzzer in the MB sounded very very sickly.. we checked the cable connections twice and they were tight as well.

eh, anyway... ill be buying the biggest cinderblock-like battery i can asap. until, ill just hook the battery charger to it at night and keep the school police and MB roadside assistance numbers handy incase i need a jump=) thanks for listening to my ramblings!

it seems like all my troubles arent exactly troubles thus far! just common sense things i ought to know by now!

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
iNeon - 2/20/2005 10:59 PM

eh, dont mind me, im apparently a Mercedes hypocondriac!

we tried to jump it off with my sisters new model Taurus and it didnt do a thing! in fact, the taurus seemed to actualy drain the MB's battery!

after thinking and cursing the Germans a while, i finally decided to go and take the neon up there and try it.

what do you know, the happy meal toy car jumped the big hulking diesel on the first try!

why would a jump make a dead battery drain? as soon as we hooked up the taurus the buzzer in the MB sounded very very sickly.. we checked the cable connections twice and they were tight as well.

eh, anyway... ill be buying the biggest cinderblock-like battery i can asap. until, ill just hook the battery charger to it at night and keep the school police and MB roadside assistance numbers handy incase i need a jump=) thanks for listening to my ramblings!

it seems like all my troubles arent exactly troubles thus far! just common sense things i ought to know by now!
Get a Die Hard! [:p]

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ill get what i can! sears sells the die-hard batteries, dont they?

i have to see about a battery tray too, i seem to remember that that was the only rusty crusty part on the car(and very common to me...being a vw guy prior)

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
iNeon - 2/21/2005 12:27 PM

ill get what i can! sears sells the die-hard batteries, dont they?

i have to see about a battery tray too, i seem to remember that that was the only rusty crusty part on the car(and very common to me...being a vw guy prior)
I think Sears sells those Die Hards, but I just heard it from somebody else. My car's battery was there since I got her, a month and a year ago. It's still strong (Die Hard too)

·
Registered
96 E300D
817 Posts
You are right to suspect the battery but it could be just a bad connection. Change the battery if it has been longer than 5 years since it was installed.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
if a new battery is what you need
you can get a johnson controls made battery at autozone,
a group 49 battery, for about $65
you can also get johnson controls batteries at walmart or sears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts