Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
350 SLK
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! I picked up my new 350 SLK several weeks ago. I now have about 800 miles. After I drive for about 30-40 minutes, I now hear a squeak when I am driving under 10 mph or so that appears to be coming from the rear (on the right side?). The squeak gets louder when I accelerate but disappears when I drive above 20 mph or so. Has anyone else heard such a squeak?

·
Registered
350 SLK
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it decreases in volume when I touch the brakes but I thought that was becasue I was slowing down. What do you think it could be?

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
Although it is very rare on a new car, I thought one of your rear brakes might be rubbing a bit giving a squeek. It should go away completely once the brakes are applied. It may be something else, but I am not sure what.

·
Registered
350 SLK
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion. If the rear brakes were rubbing, wouldn't I stilll hear the squeak if I were going above 20mph or so?

·
Registered
350 SLK
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It went away entirely for several days but is now back. Is anyone hearing a squeak type noise at all?

·
Registered
589 Posts
That's just the unanounced hybrid feature. The mice can't get the treadmill running faster than 20 mph so that's when the gas engine kicks in.[:D]

·
Registered
SLK350
2 Posts
Howard,

I get a similar intermittent squeek. I'm taking my 350 in tomorrow to have the rear suspension looked at. It groans and creaks a fair amount on some weight shifts (but not all shifts, and not all the time either). I'm guessing that the squeek is related.

I'm in the DC area too, so maybe DC-destined 350's got the squeek as an added bonus?

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
350 SLK
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chris,

Actually, I bought my SLK from a dealerin NYC but I live in the DC area and will have it serviced at Euromotors in Bethesda.

Let me know what they say.

Howard

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
Do you mean a squeak or a squeal? A squeak is a sharp noise lasting a moment; a squeal is a fairly continuous noise, lasting a while. I suspect you mean the latter - in which case it's almost certainly something rubbing against something moving. My guess is either the cooling fin touching the brake disk (which is a fairly common problem), or a small stone jammed between the pad and the disk. Have you tried jamming on the brakes while going fairly fast in reverse (which might dislodge a small stone)? You could also try jacking up each side in turn, and spinning the rear wheel to see if you can locate the source of the squeal.

·
Registered
350 SLK
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess it it is somewhere between a squeak and a squeal. It is a sharp nise lasting only a moment but then a moment later I hear it again and the noise keeps repeating.

If something were rubbing, wouldn't I hear it all the time? Instead, I only hear it after I have driven for about 20 minures or so and only when I am driving less than about 20 mph (and even then I do not always hear it).

In any event, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
SLK350
2 Posts
Essellkay350 - 5/25/2005 9:38 PM

My guess is either the cooling fin touching the brake disk (which is a fairly common problem), or a small stone jammed between the pad and the disk. Have you tried jamming on the brakes while going fairly fast in reverse (which might dislodge a small stone)? You could also try jacking up each side in turn, and spinning the rear wheel to see if you can locate the source of the squeal.
One of those sounds like it may be the case, especially the stone option. As I haven't heard the louder noise for several days now, I un-booked the appointment I had at the dealer for today. Rather than waste my time (and the mechanic's) with a something minor, I'm going to try to take a look over the weekend to see what I can see. If I can't find anything and the noise comes back, then I'll reschedule.

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
SLK350
108 Posts
Had squeaks both in the front and rear. Here is the fix:

FRONT: Front shock absorber) the rubber boot on the top of the shock absorber squeaks against the shaft - grease it up)

REAR: Rubber base at the bottom of the spring gets dry, hit it up with some WD40. Problem gone.

OTHER: Heat shields under the car and by mufflers get lose - tighten them down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts