Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local MB dealer charges $270 for an M-class 'A' service, or just $90 for the oil and filter change. A quick check in my service booklet shows that the 'A' services beyond the oil change amounts to nothing more than a cursory visual inspection and tire pressure check. Not even a real brake pad and rotor inspection, just a "brake check". OK, I will just pay for the oil change. The catch? They will not reset the FSS counter unles you pay the full $270. What a sham!

The good news is that my better than average independent Mercedes service guy will do a full 'A' service and reset the FSS counter for $150. This includes Mobil 1 0-40 oil and the upgraded OEM oil filter, plus he will reset the FSS counter and do a real brake system inspection.

DelJ

·
Registered
ML 320
361 Posts
Your description sounds accurate.

In my experience, my dealer did not even conduct the "inspections" in either the A or B services. As a result they overlooked numerous repair items that I caught just before the warranty expired. I even experienced a situation with the dealer where I took picutes of the defective items before taking it in for service and then compared the pictures when they returned the vehicle to me at the dealer. Even the shop foreman agreed that it appeared like fraud.

Just because it says "Mercedes Benz" does not mean that you are immune from over-charging and crappy service.

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
You can reset the FSS yourself. Do a search, it's not hard and doesn't need a computer or anything.

There, I just saved you $60 dollars.....[:D]

I just found the instructions so I even saved you from having to do a search...

Mercedes Reset FSS
To reset:
Turn the ignition key to position 2.
Immediately press the button next to the display twice within one second. The present status for days or distance will be displayed.
Within 10 seconds, turn the ignition key to the 0 position (off).
Press and hold the button while turning the key to position 2 again.
The status for days or distance will be displayed again; continue to hold the button.
After 10 seconds, a signal will sound and the display will show 10,000 miles. Release button.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or as much as $180 at the dealer!

In any case, thanks for the tip.

DelJ

bigcatny - 3/18/2005 10:03 AM

You can reset the FSS yourself. Do a search, it's not hard and doesn't need a computer or anything.

There, I just saved you $60 dollars.....[:D]

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,489 Posts
DelJ - 3/18/2005 11:50 AM

My local MB dealer charges $270 for an M-class 'A' service, or just $90 for the oil and filter change. A quick check in my service booklet shows that the 'A' services beyond the oil change amounts to nothing more than a cursory visual inspection and tire pressure check. Not even a real brake pad and rotor inspection, just a "brake check". OK, I will just pay for the oil change. The catch? They will not reset the FSS counter unles you pay the full $270. What a sham!

The good news is that my better than average independent Mercedes service guy will do a full 'A' service and reset the FSS counter for $150. This includes Mobil 1 0-40 oil and the upgraded OEM oil filter, plus he will reset the FSS counter and do a real brake system inspection.

DelJ
It's expensive but that's not too far from what most dealers will charge for an A service. I took mine in for an oil change onlyand the bill came to $95.30. Thay charged me $5.75/quart for Mobil-1 0W40 (way more that what I'd get from WalMart), the oil filter was $14.70 and $0.50 for the washer/gasket.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ~$90 charge for a Mobile-1 oil change is fine with me as I don't expect the dealer to work for free. It was the $180 charge for a visual inspection that I was complaining about.

Are you sure that you can get the Mobile-1 0w40 grade from WalMart? Even if so, it is still going to be over $4 per quart. The prices you quoted seem reasonable to me.

In any case, I was very satisfied with the work performed by my independent service guy. He mentioned that my rear brakes were getting low and that he could replace the rear pads and rotors for about $380 to $460, depending on whose parts I want to use. You guys who are paying the dealer $1000+ per axle are getting taken to the cleaners!

DelJ

Darkmann - 3/19/2005 8:15 PM
They charged me $5.75/quart for Mobil-1 0W40 (way more that what I'd get from WalMart), the oil filter was $14.70 and $0.50 for the washer/gasket.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,489 Posts
Oh, I agree with the $180 visual inspection, that's a sham indeed.

As for the 0W40, I don't believe WalMart has them yet. I went looking yesterday and could only find 0W20, I believe, but no 0W40.

·
Registered
2001 ML320
43 Posts
Wish I had read this.
I just out $375 for the B service on my ML320.
They did air, cabin air filters change, oil/filter
change, and tire rotation. At least they give me
a loaner.
Should make this a sticky topic. Thanks for the tip!

[:(]

·
Registered
ML 270CDI 2002, BMW K1300S, VW POLO 1.9TDI
515 Posts
Just out of interest, the 'fixed' price for a B service on a ML here in the UK at my local MB dealer is £450 GBP.....that's about $900. This price does not include any extra items such as pads,etc.

·
Registered
00 ML430,02 c230k co
151 Posts
Hey, as far as people gettin taken for ....as been posted many times, you can do your brakes yourself for ABOUT $600.00, 4 BREMBO CROSS DRILLED ROTORS AND ROTEX GOLD PADS AND SENSORS for front and back better pads better rotors 95% less brake dust.380-460 for rear only I think your gettin taken for,But i do agree with you about the dealer... [;)]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts