Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first year and 10k miles were up on my 2010 ML350 so it was off to the dealer for service "A". I arrive and tell the service rep the car is here for its "A" service. He writes me up and it's $719! I said wow that's a lot of money for a 10k service and he said well that's what it costs. So I leave and it's really bugging me, but I just try to let it go and get on with my day. But it kind of festers and I think well I'm sure going to look in the manual and see what M.B. says about what needs to be done and it better jive. So here's what I found that didn't seem to jive and I'm curious to know if anyone thinks these things are worthwhile and if they've had similar experiences. They're supposed to rotate the tires but they added on balancing as well, $94.95. I've bought a lot of tires over the years but I've never heard it was necessary to rebalance them after 10k. Fuel injection treatment, $195. I couldn't find any reference to this at any mileage in the service schedule. Any thoughts? Suspension Alignment and adjust to M.B. specs $149, again nothing about this procedure in the "A" service schedule, they did provide a neat little sheet that showed how everything was in spec and didn't require any adjustment, whoopee!!! So around $400 worth (throwing in $38 for the rotation) of unnecessary service? If it's legitimate and the car needs it, I don't have a problem with it, but if it's B.S. then I'm pissed. I blame myself a little for not scrutinizing it more at the time, but I did ask for the M.B. service "A" and I'm thinking I got the service "S" for shaft! Any thoughts? I'm curious if anyone has complained to MBZ about a dealer and felt it was effective.

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
2008 ML 320CDI
167 Posts
You've been royally screwed. Service A is an oil change and a list of "checks". In east TN this service costs about $150. You paid for a bunch of stuff that was not needed or warranted. I would be having a sit-down with the service manager and the dealership owner for a detailed explanation from them and a serious adjustment to my bill. IMHO this is blatant abuse of a customer's trust and I would make lots of noise about it to MBUSA.

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
Agree! Did they confirm with you before making all this extra work? I would go back and demand my money back and after they give it to me I will tell them that their attempt to steal my money caused them my future business. See ya!

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
I just paid 300 bucks each for an A service on my 2010 ML550 and also for my 2010 E350 4M. Both of those included state inspection and emmissions test. Those alone cost about a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
2001 ml320 and 2006 ml350 (sold)
711 Posts
I have experience some limited cases where they suggest items to be done that are opinion at best...and simply bull, at worst...I have come to recognize that most dealers are like this and i don't get offended. i just do most repair and maintenance that i can myself, and rely on dealer for harder diagnosis or repairs that require too much special tools.

·
Registered
452 Posts
As stated by others, I agree, 4-500 too much for a first service.Oil/filter, 30 mins labor plus 30 mins labor for ''checks''. You wont have any luck at the dealer level. speak Directly to MBUSA service rep and present your case calmly and you will see results. No doubt a case of dealer abuse.

·
Registered
2006 ML500 Black/Black
146 Posts
I found a very good Indy specializing in MB (finally).
Had A Service done today, total with tax was $108.

·
Registered
2006 c280, 2009 320 ML BT, 2011 ML 550 Grand Edition
293 Posts
I paid for service C (20k km) 1000 bucks! changed all kinds of filters etc. How do you really know if the filter is dirty unless you open it your self. Felt like a scam too.

·
Registered
2006/ML350
210 Posts
Wait till you need the "B" service....it'll probably be $1000+.
Most MB stealerships usually add on to the A or B service, procedures you probably don't need to increase revenue. MB stealerships are good for warranty work and complicated jobs such as transmission fluid flush/change, water pump change, etc.
What to do....
1. Be an educated car owner, read the manual, know your car.
2. Read the DIY section of this forum. I've done cabin filter, engine air filter, oil changes. You can deduct these from the A or B service and the stealership can adjust/subtract the price.
3. If it does not feel right (too expensive, service you might not need, you have no clue what they are offering, etc), politely tell them that you need to think it over before having it done.
4. Check out the indenpendent MB shop for a second opinion or ask for an estimate of the same service (make sure to check out what's included).

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your replies. The dealer was Simonson in Santa Monica. I will be talking to them and MBZ and will post the outcome. The thing with the way this went down was that I asked for the service "A", referring to the 10k service, and they never offered any of this extra stuff as options but rather that is what a service "A" includes. My mistake was to trust them at all.

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
This is another example of how just 95% of dealers give the rest a bad name...

Definitely complain to MBUSA. The dealer may be independent, but MB knows that things like this reflect badly on them, too.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
I found a very good Indy specializing in MB (finally).
Had A Service done today, total with tax was $108.
Yes but does he have the Star system to read out your computer?? He is also unable to do free TSBs and also warranty work. May mean 2 trips to 2 shops. Does he give a free loaner?? Doubt it!

·
Registered
2008 ML 320CDI
167 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replies. The dealer was Simonson in Santa Monica. I will be talking to them and MBZ and will post the outcome. The thing with the way this went down was that I asked for the service "A", referring to the 10k service, and they never offered any of this extra stuff as options but rather that is what a service "A" includes. My mistake was to trust them at all.
Ask them to show you where each of the items you were charged for is documented by MB as part of the A service.

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
In that case I agree with others that advise you to directly contact MBUSA. The dealer should have separated all REQUIRED services from all RECOMMENDED. The SA should have called you and get your OK for any recommended work. This is the treatment I am used to. Some times they recommend items I am not sure about so I always tell them I will get back to them in 30 minutes. I do some research, a couple of phone calls and get back to them. If I can't I politely tell them that I will consider their recommendations. I am happy to report that I have never been offered a frivolous service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, A, B, C service is nothing more than a glorified oil change and chance to rip off customers. I've been doing my own oil changes since I was charged $350.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
My first year and 10k miles were up on my 2010 ML350 so it was off to the dealer for service "A". I arrive and tell the service rep the car is here for its "A" service. He writes me up and it's $719! I said wow that's a lot of money for a 10k service and he said well that's what it costs. So I leave and it's really bugging me, but I just try to let it go and get on with my day. But it kind of festers and I think well I'm sure going to look in the manual and see what M.B. says about what needs to be done and it better jive. So here's what I found that didn't seem to jive and I'm curious to know if anyone thinks these things are worthwhile and if they've had similar experiences. They're supposed to rotate the tires but they added on balancing as well, $94.95. I've bought a lot of tires over the years but I've never heard it was necessary to rebalance them after 10k. Fuel injection treatment, $195. I couldn't find any reference to this at any mileage in the service schedule. Any thoughts? Suspension Alignment and adjust to M.B. specs $149, again nothing about this procedure in the "A" service schedule, they did provide a neat little sheet that showed how everything was in spec and didn't require any adjustment, whoopee!!! So around $400 worth (throwing in $38 for the rotation) of unnecessary service? If it's legitimate and the car needs it, I don't have a problem with it, but if it's B.S. then I'm pissed. I blame myself a little for not scrutinizing it more at the time, but I did ask for the M.B. service "A" and I'm thinking I got the service "S" for shaft! Any thoughts? I'm curious if anyone has complained to MBZ about a dealer and felt it was effective.

Thanks,

Richard
First off read your owners manual and the maintenance manual that came with your vehicle. It prevents needless servicing!

Print this sheet out, keep it IN YOUR SERVICE MANUAL! It will tell what and when specific jobs need to be performed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,103 Posts
Below is a copy of my E-Mail requesting an appointment for a "B" service from my dealer. Notice the "do NOT perform list. My dealer was more than accommodating.
Things like $5.00 for 2 oz of washer solvent and $12.00 for Techron additive, which I replaced myself, are eliminated. The oil change, which I performed a day earlier, saved about $75.
I got out of the "B" service for around $225.
Mike

..*****************************************
Please call me at your convenience to make an appointment and discuss the list below. I can be reached at ***-***-**** all day today.

My ML 500 is will be due for a “B” service next week.
I would like to modify the services performed as follows;

Please perform the following;
1) Change Brake Fluid
2) Repair Driver’s Seat Heater overheating
3) Check sticky throttle, again
4) All “B” service inspections and services not listed below.

Please do NOT perform the following on the “B” srvice list;
1) Oil Change
2) Oil Filter
3) Wiper Blade replacement
4) Rotate Tires
5) Engine Air Filter
6) Cabin Air Filter
7) Washer Solvent
8) Add Tech Additive to fuel

Thanks,
Mike ******
..******************************