Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 500 one month ago a 2000 with 53000 miles on it.

i have seen a lot of people talking about how expensive it is to maintain. What type of costs am i looking forward to and is it really worth keeping the car if it costs as much as it seems to repair it.

PS... those shitheads at the dealership failed to tell me about all the maintanence costs to fix the thing too

·
Registered
5 Posts
it is pretty expensive to maintain compared to other car lines. if you don't have an extended warranty, these cars can be very expensive to repair. especially if it needs a control module, which isn't too uncommon on these.

·
Registered
2001 S430
96 Posts
They are very expensive and they break often. Even minor things are expensive and time consuming. Hopefully you have an extended warrenty. These are great cars when they run. I own a 2001 S430 with only 42K on it and it has been in the shop numerous times this year. I also own a 1987 560SL which has never been in the shop for other than normal things (i.e. breaks, oil changes, etc.) My own experience demonstrates that quality has taken a serious nose dive at MB. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2000 -> S500
88 Posts
Nino - I have a 2000 > S500 > 40K Miles >

SO FAR: No Major Problems, No Major Fixes.

Been into the shop twice > on for the 35K Full Service > One for my A/C Breakdown.

Extended Warranty is a must but it still can't get expensive for Parts Not Covered - so read your Extended Warranty well.

I have had lots of "minor" on and off issues. Some have resolved themselves(go figure)

Overall, I am happy with this car this far!!

·
Registered
2000 S500 Sport
79 Posts
As luck would have it I also bought my 2000 S500 with 53,000 miles on it, it's now a bit over a year later and I'm at 69,000 miles. Repairs in that time:

1. Front air shocks were leaking, $600 to repair.
2. Ignition switch was sticking, couldn't turn the key, had to replace switch and cluster as a unit, $2,100 to repair.
3. Front suspension repairs including new bushings, upper and lower control arms, torque arms, and ball joints. $1,700 to repair.

(The dealer where I bought the car also fixed a few minor things at no charge and without warranty claims, such as a broken trim piece, leaking washer fluid tank, etc.)

Fortunately I do have an extended warranty through CNA which covered all of the above. I paid $2,800 for it when I bought the car for 3 year/36,000 mile coverage and it's now paid out $4,400 in claims, no questions asked, so I'd highly recommend them as my experience has been an excellent one.

And whatever you do - DO NOT own that car another day without a warranty!

As for future repairs, I just received recall notices for a faulty blower motor fuse fitting and a faulty harmonic balancer, both of which will be repaired by the dealer at no cost. Lately I've detected a faint odor of burning oil under the hood so I'll get that taken care of when I go in for the recalls ... another warranty claim I'm sure.

Also, be aware that brake jobs are very expensive on these cars, look for a reputable independent MB shop for that as well. Just don't use aftermarket rotors or any of that crap. Stick with genuine MB parts.

(BTW, the only repair I've had to pay for myself was collision-related when some idiot's giant landscaping rock came rolling down his driveway and in front of my right rear wheel. As you can imagine there was severe suspension damage including a bent wheel, bent spindle, busted control arm etc., my insurance covered everything except a cracked sub-frame, they screwed me on that and it cost $1,500 out of my pocket to replace.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does anyone have a good warranty service that i can get for my benz. i purchased it a month ago so is it too late or can i still get it.

·
Registered
2000 S500 Sport
79 Posts
I've been very happy with my CNA warranty, I bought it through the MB dealer so try calling your dealer. Otherwise try searching for them online and contacting them directly.

·
Registered
MB CL500(C215);SL55(R129), SL63(R230)
479 Posts
MB service quality

Hi All.

When i hear you talking about bad quality of W220 S-Class,i have the ipression that only the people with worst experience making their post here. Anyway i assume that the majority are riding the cars without any problems. (like me)

Differnt story is when there is really something to repair i agree it could easily become more costly than other cars.

For that i see two reasons- S-Class parts are relatively rare, have therefore higher price (average 50%)

S-Class technology is complex and rare for a regular mechanics.
As a result there are frequently trying and testing, changing parts (sometimes not necessary) on customer expense.

The pitty for the average customer is that they cannot proof when they did a bad job...

From me two advices:

In MB WIS System are set timeframes in units for standard maintenance jobs. (German "AW" -> work units)

Ask for them and the cost per unit.

If you have doubts about the quality of your Stealer call MBUSA or MB-Europe and let them check the situation.

Hope i could help a bit...

Cheers, Frank

·
Registered
2000 S500 Sport
79 Posts
RE: MB service quality

When i hear you talking about bad quality of W220 S-Class,i have the ipression that only the people with worst experience making their post here. Anyway i assume that the majority are riding the cars without any problems. (like me)

Differnt story is when there is really something to repair i agree it could easily become more costly than other cars.
I agree, in reality these cars are very reliable and solid, it's just that the cost to repair them when repairs do come up is very high. That's why I have and strongly recommend a warranty. As you can see I've had few repairs but the cost was exorbitant and the warranty paid for itself quickly.

And I also agree that only people with the worst experience are publicly posting about it. You don't hear from the majority of customers who are happy and satisfied.

The argument that MB has declined in quality from the legendary cars of the 80s is like trying to compare apples and oranges. Those cars were bulletproof but also had no technology at all. These new cars are the industry leader in technology. Of course they'll have a few glitches here and there, that's the reality of living with computers.

·
Registered
2001 S430
96 Posts
These cars have their share of problems and quaility is a major concern at MB. Just read the last three issues of Star on the MB Club of America web site. The most recent can be found at the following url:

http://www.mbca.org/pages/Star/articles/Ulkann_Interview.pdf

Look up the JD Powers ratings on these cars:

http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/auto.jsp#

They are rated among the lowest with respect to mechanical reliability.

I've also heard the argument numerous times that the older model MB's did not have the same level of technology as the new models. While that's obvious, the truth is that the older MB's were cutting edge in their day and their owners raved about their technology and reliability.

With that said, there is nothing like the S class when it is working properly. I choose to continue to drive this brand because I have been blessed with the resources to repair this vehcile when needed and other than the repairs, I enjoy the experience. However, I am careful not to paint an overly rosey picture of current MB quality.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Using the excuse that MB were not advanced back in the 80's is not a fair one for me.

IF U CANT MAKE A CAR THAT IS RELIABLE THAN DONT OFFER SO MUCH SHIT IN IT.

I just talked to my mechanic and for new front brakes rotors and a right control arm it is 650 for parts which is not bad at all. These are all MB genuine parts too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts