Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Drove to work a couple weeks ago and the 07 W221 was acting a bit weird. Left work put her in reverse and heard it shift but no movement. Tried forward and in nudged just a little. Did this 6-8 times. Shut her off and made a few phone calls. Tried again and it went into reverse and I backed out and drive worked as well. First intersection during traffic hour and red light. First in line. Green light and hit the gas….. no movement. Shut it off after a few tries. Hood up flashers and went to the sidewalk and called a wrecker. 4 accually til I found one. 🙄. Got in tried drive again and managed to get across the street. Towed it to my Benz mechanic. My mechanic is an AWESOME Mercedes mechanic. Factory Certified and says the clutch plates are probably shot. Moves fine cold then stops. You can hear it change gears but it won’t move. Pump probably out he said. Fluid is black. Dealer replaced the valve body about 18 months ago to fix a limp mode issue. My mech says tranny tired and needs replaced and a valve body fix is a bandaid that doesnt address the root cause. Put her on Offer Up for 2500. I just don’t have time anymore to lay under this Magnificent money pit. One thing after another at 115,000 miles. 😢. Any better suggestions welcome because i have received great advice on here over the years.
I am in WA state if anyone needs a W221 with brand new tires and MANY other new parts. 😂🤷🏼‍♂️👍
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Steering wheel
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
2,630 Posts
Honestly are you going to find a better car for the price of a rebuilt transmission? A different car sure, but my W221 has been such an amazing car and I bought it with 111k miles. It is surprising to me that the transmission failed at such low mileage.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My mechanic said the ‘never service’ tranny is the Achilles Heel of these cars. Should be serviced every 30-40k in his opinion. LOVE the car. Tired of fixing stuff. I got it at 44k and have replaced all front end suspension, most of the airmatic system parts, motor mounts, tranny mounts, water pumps, fuel pumps and filters three times (only Chevron premium ever in this car since purchased). Hawaii car until 3 years ago and the plastic electrical connections mostly crumble in my hands. I foresee continuing work needed as well. My wife’s 09 R350 has been completely trouble free 🤷🏼‍♂️ Maybe I got a troubled used S550 but i know this one is going to move on. Great Sales Pitch right??? Lol

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sold. 2000 bucks. Bittersweet really. Young Ukrainian guy excited to-have it. I am going to miss her but I see a few W222’s around for less than what I would have to pay to fix my W221 Mech says they are a bit more reliable too. Less issues overall. We shall see. To be continued…. Maybe. 👍😁

· Registered
Vogon constructor fleet.
10,559 Posts
I never bought into that "lifetime tranny fluid" BS. I service them yearly on all my MB's, lifetime claims or not. A fluid and filter change is infinitely cheaper and the "peace of mind" is priceless.

Pity you had so much trouble with yours. They're wonderful cars when they're running.

· Premium Member
'71 Pinto
6,165 Posts
I never bought into that "lifetime tranny fluid" BS.
Took MB 2 years to revise service requirement knowing full well initial onetime was nonsense.

07–08 MB requirement once @ 39,000
09–11 = 40,000 miles/4 years (whichever comes first)
11–13 = 278, 642 157, 272 w/NAG2, hybrid 40,000/4-years
278, 642 w/NAG2FE 70,000/7 years

2000 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, 2005 E320 CDI, 2006 S500 4Matic, and 2006 S350
7,561 Posts
They said the same thing about the 722.6 five-speed, too ("zero maintenance!"), and then revised it. Sigh....

Sorry to hear about this, OP. I will point out that the early 722.9 seven-speeds are known to be a bit more problematic than the later ones. MB did a number of revisions to get that tranny more reliable. As it happens, you likely saved yourself from the well-known timing sprocket issue that the early M273 V8's (until mid-2008, apparently) also had, and that's a US $8,000 repair.

You might talk with Skylaw. He just bought a W222 to replace his W221, and so he knows the W221's pretty darn well by now. I know I benefitted from his W220 knowledge when he had that model.

Reactions: Doni
1 - 9 of 9 Posts