Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in florida on a business trip and I got a call from the roomate. He was at the store with my SLK230 and a church van slammed into my (at the time) parked SLK and then attempted to run off. An old lady chased him in her car and got all the plate info and yelled at him when he got out of the van at his church. Got him to come back and own up to it all. I havent gotton home yet to see the damage but from what I hear I need an entire new front end. The guy works at the Phoenix United Methodist Church as head of maintanence. He wasnt suppost to have the van out and he lied to my roomate so the police paid him a visit I guess. The church will end up paying for everything but DAMN! I cant even be with my baby im across the united states in alligator country and my car is all messed up in some parking lot. Talk about a sad day. MY CAR WAS PERFECT! NO DENTS (anymore) AND THE INSIDE WAS PERFECT! It was in tip top shape, great paint and ran like a dream AWWW i wanna cry!

Raintree auto body has me on the waiting list..... Over a month without my car. I get a rental I am going to request an equal or better car in my oppinion I think they should concur what do you think. How do I go about getting this all fixed? Should I call the police when I get home? Call the insurance company of the church direct? The head paster said OMG i will talk to you monday when I told her that the car the van hit was a small sports car mercedes.

--Deathy gonna go to the bar and try and forget tonight..... or im gonna cry one of the two.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sorry to see any SLK damaged. I can only imagine how you feel. Hope you do not have take the church to court!

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
316 Posts
Damn!... hate to see an SLK like that... Sorry man, we all feel your pain. [V]

What goes around, comes around... and the van driver will have his day... [}:)]

That's a bit low to hit a car, IN A CHURCH VAN, and try to run. When i had my '01 Passat, i was in a hit and run myself. 4am going to Newark, took a detour for consturction, ended up at a blinking red/blinking yellow. Looked left, right, hit the gas, and some guy in a towncar hammers it and we hit. I smash into his right side pass. doors. My front is steaming, hood poped, lights smashed. The guy pulls away down the street comes out asks me if i'm alive, gets in his car, and is out...
Cops came 25min later, never found the guy.

Your baby will be up and running in no time...
If you were in NY/NJ area, i would offer a great body shop... and my brother is a lawyer [}:)]

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
car gets break dust so fast... once my pads are gone im gonna replace them with powderless ones.

god im so pissed off right now...

I might have to call upon your lawer friend for advice is that ok? just to talk to him about my options? what to say what to do?

--Deathy

·
BenzWorld R170 SLK Host
2002 SLK32 AMG
2,652 Posts
I feel your pain. My mother-in-law wrecked my Grand Cherokee yesterday.

No, it wasn't my SLK, but I still took maticulous care of it for 9 years since it was new and it was perfect inside and out.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
316 Posts
Deathy,

from what i was told, since the other driver left the scene, it is 100% his fault. then again your car was parked anyway. at this point you have to check the police report to see exactly what it says. from what you said it sounds like either the van's insurance will cover your damages or your's will. your insurance will not go up since you are not at fault, and neither is your friend.

as what happened in my case, my insurance paid for $3K+ worth of damage on my car.

as for anything directed at the owners of the van, you most likely won't get anywhere with that, since it is a nonprofit org.

the time just sucks, you got to get it appraised, then either your or their insurance will tell you to take it to their shop, or will most likely just cut you a check (best bets) then take your car to various shops, get the best price, and buy yourself a few cold ones with the difference...[;)]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Danm Deathy, if it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all.....

Sorry to hear about and see the damage.
On the positive side, these cars are easy to fix right, and if the shop uses the correct paint (there are two manufacturers) the match will be perfect.

·
Registered
06 corvette coupe
468 Posts
from the pic, it looks like it's just the bumper fender and headlight. For the most part, just cosmetic. With that dark blue color, make sure they have a really good painter that knows how to do a good final polish. I'd be more worried about swirl marks than anything else.

I can't believe that MOFO in the van (a church van!) drove away. Luckily that old lady helped you out. Remember that the next time you're stuck behind a old person in the left hand lane.[:D]

Their insurance company should be in touch with you soon. If not, call them as soon as you can to set up an appraisal of the damage. Then talk to them about a rental.

sorry about your aggravation, but you know what they say--it could have been a lot worse. That old lady saved you a lot of heartache. you may want to thank her.

·
Registered
06 corvette coupe
468 Posts
I had to post again. I just can't believe that guy was going to drive off. I get pissed of when people cause door dings and leave. This guy crushed your car and didn't want to take the blame.[:(!]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Deathy, make sure that YOU call your insurance company ASAP and let them know about all the information you have about the other guy. Get a copy of the police report for them too. YOUR insurance company should handle it from there. Often times they will pay for the damages and they will be reimbursed from the churches insurance co. The point of this is to make sure that all your work is done and paid for as it is supposed to be and it keeps the problem of you waiting for a check from the other guys insurance co. Also, it helps to cut down on insurance fraud. If your insurance co is handleing the claim, the other insurance company won't have a problem sending THEM the check for repairs because its like honor amongst theives, if you can understand that.

That's what happened when my wife's C230 was rear ended 3 days after we got it. Our insurance paid for everything and they went after the other guys for the money.

The good news is brotha, they'll paint your whole front end now getting rid of all those chips in the paint from rocks etc. I do feel bad for ya man. I really do. Sorry.

·
Registered
06 corvette coupe
468 Posts
The good news is brotha, they'll paint your whole front end now getting rid of all those chips in the paint from rocks etc. I do feel bad for ya man. I really do. Sorry.
this would be a good time to put on a clear bra (www.xpel.com) to keep it new looking up front.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
this would be a good time to put on a clear bra (www.xpel.com) to keep it new looking up front.
Do you have one? I was thinking about one of those. 2 months with this car and the front end is already peppered.

·
Registered
06 corvette coupe
468 Posts
John Boy 330xi - 5/1/2005 9:56 AM

Do you have one? I was thinking about one of those. 2 months with this car and the front end is already peppered.
yeah. I've put one on every one of my cars (except the old beater). The slk32 and my wife's mini were pretty hard. Curved surfaces are much hard than flat. I had a friend who installs window tint help me with one on my c5 vette a few years ago.

After that, I did the others myself. Pretty much blows a morning b/c you have to keep playing with the edges to get out the "fingers" and air bubbles. you also have to make sure not to get any dirt or fingerprints on the adhesive side. these films are fairly expensive (for plastic). I'd pay to have someone install it b/c you'd hate to ruin it. I'm just cheap.
[:D]

this is a pic w/the bra installed on bumper and ~14 inches of hood. I have original pics if you want a larger image (from 6mb camera). You can see the seam on the large photos but it's very discreet.

·
Registered
06 corvette coupe
468 Posts

here's a pic of my wife's mini. it has the bra on the bumper and ~18-20 inches of the hood. this one was a PITA to install.

If you put the film down and it dries, lifting it up and reapplying it leaves a white patchy area under the film. I learned that on a previous install.

sorry, deatherage, not trying to hijack your thread.[:D]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
First of all sucks your car was hit. At least is does not look as bad as I anticipated with your post. "No good deed goes unpunished" (you were nice enough to loan your car to your roomate and ended up paying a price).

Forget contacting your insurance company unless there is a problem. Call the pastor (or whoever the chick is at the church) that said she would contact you on Monday. Be nice, polite, and give them the opportunity to step up to the plate.

Good luck with the rental car. Insurance compaines have a flat rate they pay the rental car company of the car. It will usually cover a mid size car.

Assuming it is a good shop you will not be able to tell it was repaired. Our ML was hit, needed a new hood, bumper, etc. They used Sikkens paint and looks as good as new.

·
Registered
2003 SLK320
585 Posts
sorry about ur car bro. there was just a small scratch on the trunk of my german girl, Mercedes Benz and I wanted to cry too!
waaaaaaaa.. i know how it feels. its a guy thing...never mess with/crash into another guy's car...

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
We can build it better, faster, stronger...we have the technology[:D] Cheer up, Deathy. Been there, done that, you can prevail too. Try and think of it as just another of life's little adventures. Know that sounds trite and odd, but it is an adjustment of attitude that you can achieve.

Sorry for your aggrivation on this whole deal. Buck up, it'll get better.... you will make it so.

Regards

1 - 20 of 50 Posts