Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day. My girl friend has brought her 1988 560SL to me for winter storage. There are two things which I don't understand and will appeciate any help in this area.

First, in the battery storage area (rear right of the trunk) there is a switch mounted on the front bulkhead which has a rather large (~1 inch diameter) flat red knob attached to it, currently in a position which is extended out from the switch. This switch in turn is connected to a foam encased box approximately 8x6x4 inches which in turn appears to be connected to the battery. Does anyone know what this configuration is and if it needs anything special for winter storage?

Second, in the rear seat area behind the passenger's seat and located on the side of the corner pillar is a snap connected flap about 3x4 inches. Behind this flap the seat belt and pillar are visible along with a female three socket electrical connection which is not connected to anything. Anyone know what that is for?

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry to be a nuisance but I wish to make sure that everything's covered. Again, thank you.

·
Registered
'89 560SL
47 Posts
The switch box type thing you referred to isn't obvious on my '89 560SL, although the foam...

The switch box type thing you referred to isn't obvious on my '89 560SL, although the foam-covered goodies box is; I have no idea what's in it, but didn't touch it for winter storage. What I did do for the battery was to wire up a (fused) lead to connect the battery terminals to a Guest Marine battery maintainer, which I left connected all winter with the battery in place; works fine and avoids the risk of freezing a discharged battery. The charger involved is a low-power (3 amp, I think) unit intended simply to maintain charge; I got mine at the local West Marine, and I used a trailer-type connector from Radio Shack, making sure that the exposed pin on the battery side of the connector is negative so as to avoid shorting when the charger's not in use.
The flap inside, aft of the passenger door, with the snap closure is the connection for the electric defroster in the rear window of the hardtop. If you're storing the car with the hardtop on, leaving it connected is fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Craigb, thank you

Craigb, thank you. That solves the pillar electrical connection issue.

The latter switch, which upon reinspection appears to be a valve contolling several vacuum lines, and the "black box" which appears to be a solenoid and vacuum routing mechanism, shall be unanswered. In any event, there's nothing in either subject to freezing.

Thank you again, Sir.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts