Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 500SEL & 99 S500
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure most of you haven't heard, but there was a major accident last Wednesday night on I-70 east in Ohio. A tour bus crossed the median and crashed head-on into a 1989 Mercedes 300SEL. The driver of the car was a friend of mine and was killed instatly when the bus struck him head-on. I've attached a photo of the car after the wreck, I hope this reminds all of us, no matter what car we drive, to drive defensivly and safely. Just because we have Benz's, doesn't mean we are invincible to injuries as tragic as these.

Attachments

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
My condolences to you.
I hope this reminds all of us, no matter what car we drive, to drive defensivly and safely. Just because we have Benz's, doesn't mean we are invincible to injuries as tragic as these.
I think about that every day. We may have the advantage over a compact car in a collision with something like an old Cadillac, but when it comes to large vehicles, we're just as vulnerable. I've never seen a W126 with that much damage in an accident, that thing is demolished.

·
Registered
1991 300SE
1,435 Posts
Sorry to hear of about your friend. I've lost some friends over the years, mostly due to motorcycle accidents. Something I will never do again. Too many stupid drivers out there in the world to worry about if they see me on a crotch-rocket. Same goes for whatever vehicle you drive. Why are these idiots on the road to begin with?

Sometimes, life really sucks.[:(]

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
Wow, I am very sorry to hear that your friend died in this accident. I drove in my old 1988 300SEL the same path (70 east/west) twice a week for a year... do you happen to know where this occured? Once again, sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

·
Registered
93 500SEL & 99 S500
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It happened 30 miles east of Columbus. I'm assuming he was on his way home from a business meeting in Ohio. (We live in Western PA) He was a great guy who could always make you smile. We will miss him dearly...

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
Oh wow... I used to drive 60 miles East on I70 from Columbus, so I must have known the area this occured. Eventhough it was a fairly straight and smooth drive, I remember seeing a fatal accident(roll over SUV)a few years ago on the opposite side in the area where you lost your friend.[:(] One must always be careful and drive defensively.

·
Registered
'91 420SEL '80 300TD
232 Posts
How terrible. I am always thinking of how dangerous the roads are when I drive. I almost always assume the "other guy" is going to do something stupid or dangerous. But a bus crossing the divide and hitting him head on. Oy. That's like being hit by a falling piano. Seriously bad luck.

·
Registered
93 500SEL & 99 S500
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank You...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts