Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would SOMEONE PLEASE post one, just for old times sake...

I guess I'm getting a little to much coronavirus overload......but someone please ?

Maybe a way to retrofit a pneumatic hood strut to fit the older W163's , so we don't have to mess with that floppy setup...

IS ANYBODY OUT THERE ....?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,154 Posts
Would SOMEONE PLEASE post one, just for old times sake...

I guess I'm getting a little to much coronavirus overload......but someone please ?

Maybe a way to retrofit a pneumatic hood strut to fit the older W163's , so we don't have to mess with that floppy setup...

IS ANYBODY OUT THERE ....?

Very simple. Either go to a junk yard or buy the components from M/B and remove your hinges and replace them with the EPC updated parts.

Before removing the hinges, mark the hood where the nuts and bolts are so there will be no adjustment of the hood when closing.

Also look to see if you already have a nipple on both sides which supports the lower part of the strut.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links......so the ML hood is fairly heavy. Does it take two pneumatic struts to support it, or will just one do the trick ?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,224 Posts
I did this mod to the 99. It was not bad at all. I had a helper hold old hood while I swapped out the old hinge parts on each side at a time. Got the parts from a boneyard for $25 about 5 years ago.
Sadly I had a another brake line blowout and the truck is 40 miles away. I will be towing it to my nephew's to get it on a lift and start replacing the front lines.

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Next time I go to a pull-a-part those items will be on my list. Might be quite a while though !
Do you think you could post a few pictures of your install so I can get an idea of the mounting locations ?

Thanks !!

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,973 Posts
From bone yard pick seal that goes across air intake cowl. It needs to have cutouts to accommodate gas strut.

Gas struts will most likely be blown. Get new ones. Stabilus is OEM for those.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,224 Posts
Thanks for the info. Next time I go to a pull-a-part those items will be on my list. Might be quite a while though !
Do you think you could post a few pictures of your install so I can get an idea of the mounting locations ?

Thanks !!
The beast is 40 miles away needing front brake lines. As soon as I get there I will take pics. I was to use a hot wire plastic cutter to make reliefs for the struts to fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts