Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is ABCs department, get out the slide rule and work this data for me please.
If I replace the 215x16s fitted with 275x16s on a 88 230 GE 4 spd how will this affect. A. RPM relavant to road speed and B. cruise.
Will it now not be neccassry to fit the 5 spd box I have spare. I understand the 1-4 ratios are the same as 4 spd just 5th is overdrive.
By fitting 275s does 4th become equi to 5th if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
265 Posts
215 is not a tire....

In this part of the world.... 215 is not considered a tire [}:)]

I have never driven anything as ultimately useless as a G on 215 tires [xx(]

But on 275+ you have a bright future [8D] and you dont need an overdrive gearbox.
If I remember correctly the ratio between top and lowest gear on the 5 speed Getrag and the 4 speed MB is the same, in other words; -the Getrag has stupidly high 1st gear.
You are therefor well off by using bigger tires that give you similar overall gearing in 4th on the 4 speed as you would get in 5th gear by Getrag "without tires [}:)]" . Crawl speed will be similar but "more gap" between gears.

·
Registered
1988 300 GD STT LWB
585 Posts
Big tires = lower rpm's at same speed as with small tires. Also, more rubber to turn = longer turning time and thus a bit slower.

I noticed a _very_ noticeable change in cruising comfort (at least regarding engine rpm's. Unbalanced 33" tires is another side of it...). With 33" tires and 5th gear I was able to keep the engine rpm's around 4000++ at 130/40km/h on flat road (gps measured in flat landscape).
It will take you a bit longer to reach top speed, but it will be noticeably faster once you get there.

In 1'st gear it will be slower but to me it felt like I had more control offroad or really slippery conditions.

Brake length will be affected as well, but i am still able to lock my wheels when I really step hard on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that Karl. 215 is the standard military fit for this vehicle.
I thought it worked out like that, nice to have it confirmed tho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts