Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the Harmonic Balancer on my 1999 e-320 v-6 112 and I was referring to a thread on the issue from last year that you posted to were you said that when installing the HB that it should be torqued to 200Nm and then 95 degrees further. I was also looking at another detailed thread on the removal and install by a boohooramblers from Ireland (MBWorld.org Forums - View Profile: boohooramblers) which seemed to include the actual MB data sheet on the procedure which states that it should be 200Nm and 90 degrees. It seems that it's agreed that it should be 200 Nm but what is the proper degrees in your opinion as I don't want to over-torque the bolt and risk snapping it off? Also would you know if some type of puller is required to remove the HB once the retaining bolt has been removed or will the HB come of without too much effort?

·
Registered
35,787 Posts
Prof Lou didn't visit us for some time :(
How you are going to measure the difference between 90 and 95 degrees?
Those are both 1/4 turn in my books. Stress bolts will not add any more tension when twisted a bit more or less. They just get stressed a bit more or less.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
double check

I just wanted to double check the torque before performing the install. I was going to mark the bolt and use a protractor to measure it just before the completion of a quarter turn but maybe that is being a little too anal. You're probably right, a little past a quarter turn isn't going to harm anything and I doubt that any shop would do anything different. Would you know about the ease with which the HB comes off the end of the crankshaft?

·
Registered
35,787 Posts
I didn't replace HB on W210, but I did on W123 years ago. It comes out relatively easy after the bolt removal.
Than finding the way to hold the crankshaft while pulling 200 Nm is another story.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I donnoh, five degrees is quite a bit. Let's see you got a 12inch long torque wrench. Five degrees ends up being a half inch on the circumference of the arc of the wrench. You probably won't get that much precision in trying to figure out 90 degrees.;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts