Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CLK550 Cab
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a CLK convertible very soon to replace my Volvo C70. I will buy either a 350 or 500/550, just depending on what is available, price, etc. I am interested in 2006-2008. Here's my question. I have been looking at cars on e-bay, auto trader and cars.com just to see what is out there. I have trouble telling cars of the same model apart because I do not know the various option packages like you guys do. For example, maybe 1/3 of 350s have a wood-trimmed steering wheel, but what else does that mean? Do cars with wood wheels also have different suspensions or other differences I cannot see in pictures? Or what can I tell from the different wheels styles? Is there someplace I can go to learn the different option combinations for those years and what visual clues there are so I can evaluate one car against another? For example, if you asked me that question about ragtop C70s, I'd say it's either a high pressure or low pressure turbo based on whether it has a 56 or 53 in the serial number, it either has the in-dash 3-cd changer it doesn't, it either has wood trim or it doesn't, an it either has a trip computer or it doesn't, and it may have 17' wheels. That's about it. Other than the turbo, these are all visual. I get the sense the MB's may have a more complex answer. Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Go to MBUSA.com and look up their certified used cars. Do a search for what you want and each car will show what options are included. You will eventually get a feel for what you want. That is what I did before I bought my CLK550. BTW...don't try the 550 first.... If you like HP...the 550 will ruin it for you and you will never go back to the 350. With the pricing where it is today...stay with a CPO'd car. Pricing for convertibles should be pretty good for right now.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Not sure about the US, but in Europe the wood trim on the facia, doors and steering wheel is reserved for the Elegance models. Avantgarde models have 'metallised' trim, a leather covered steering wheel, plus different styled road wheels. No cost difference.

Regarding features, the only way to know is to decode the VIN, which will reveal the original factory build. That doesn't show what's been added later of course. :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts