Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
'90 300SE, '86 560SL
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor has a '96 4Runner that, when putting in a new battery, reversed the posts and got lots of smoke :eek:.

Quickly pulled the cables, got the proper battery and asked for some assistance from me.

Car will turn over, but not catch...fuses ok, but no spark...haven't checked fuel yet, wanting to get spark first.

My Pops reversed-charged a dead battery in his 107 years back and fried many little bits I'm told....due to old-timers disease, he of course can't remember what repairs were made.

I'm not familiar with these cars, but from a general standpoint, where would you start?

Rick

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
My neighbor has a '96 4Runner
My Pops reversed-charged a dead battery in his 107 years back and fried many little bits I'm told....due to old-timers disease, he of course can't remember what repairs were made.

I'm not familiar with these cars, but from a general standpoint, where would you start?

Rick
A 4Runner eh? I would look to a 4Runner forum.:thumbsup:
There are lot's of them on the road, Sorry for the paraphrase: a 4Runner.

·
Premium Member
'90 300SE, '86 560SL
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A 4Runner eh? I would look to a 4Runner forum.:thumbsup:
There are lot's of them on the road, Sorry for the paraphrase: a 4Runner.
Yeah...been there, done that....but no good help (see if you have spark, etc). (Toyotanation.com...4Runner forum

Thought I'd try the braintrust here.:(

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,315 Posts
On a Lexus (just a fancy Toyota, no?) of that era there is a main fuse near the alternator that blows when reverse polarity is applied. The charge circuit and some of the auxiliaries will then not work, but the engine should start and run until the battery depletes....

·
Premium Member
'90 300SE, '86 560SL
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info dug....I guess I'm wondering if, in general, why no spark?

Starter turns, but no juice to the coil, and no intervening fuses...nothing blown in the box...the key was never turned over, so he must have cooked something pretty high up on the food chain that's always hot??

I bought an extra alldata account to try and troubleshoot it....it's kind of a puzzle now I wanna solve :eek:

Rick

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,315 Posts
FWIW, the fuse I was talking about isn't in the fuse box; it's near the alternator itself.
No matter, it doesn't sound like it's your problem anyway.
Absent a wiring diagram, you might as well consult a Ouija Board.

·
Premium Member
'90 300SE, '86 560SL
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good point dug, turns out alldata has a good wiring schematic....off to study it.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,932 Posts
My neighbor has a '96 4Runner that, when putting in a new battery, reversed the posts and got lots of smoke :eek:.

Quickly pulled the cables, got the proper battery and asked for some assistance from me.

Car will turn over, but not catch...fuses ok, but no spark...haven't checked fuel yet, wanting to get spark first.

Rick
I guess I'm no help here. You start where you always start with a no start problem on all gas powered cars since the late 1800's. Is there spark than is there fuel.

OK if you want to cheat on that just a little bit ,check all fuses including the little one on the OVP relay.

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8, 79 450 SLC
539 Posts
The fuse in the Toyota truck is not doing his job. I reversed the battery in my Dodge Colt. I only brew the fuse of the radio.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts