Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 E320 CDI
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a bit of rust coming out from under the A pillar cover on the passenger's side. I checked out the EPC and WIS and it appears there's pop rivets that hold that through the A pillar metal. So apparently, one of the holes must have the paint broken through, so I need to get under there and fix it. Any advice on this? It doesn't look horribly difficult per the EPC instructions, but you never know. And the replacement plastic cover is $260+, so I don't want to break it removing it!

This is on a new to me 2015 G Wagen - An AMG G63 this time. (Sold the 2015 G550.) I wanted to get the last year of the big biturbo. I'll get some photos posted at a later time now that the weather is turning nice and I can get it cleaned up. It's the Matt Black finish. That will be a "fun" finish to care for, but it looks pretty cool. Wasn't sure if I'd like it until I saw it in person.

·
Registered
2002 G500
1 Posts
I've got a bit of rust coming out from under the A pillar cover on the passenger's side. I checked out the EPC and WIS and it appears there's pop rivets that hold that through the A pillar metal. So apparently, one of the holes must have the paint broken through, so I need to get under there and fix it. Any advice on this? It doesn't look horribly difficult per the EPC instructions, but you never know. And the replacement plastic cover is $260+, so I don't want to break it removing it!

This is on a new to me 2015 G Wagen - An AMG G63 this time. (Sold the 2015 G550.) I wanted to get the last year of the big biturbo. I'll get some photos posted at a later time now that the weather is turning nice and I can get it cleaned up. It's the Matt Black finish. That will be a "fun" finish to care for, but it looks pretty cool. Wasn't sure if I'd like it until I saw it in person.
I have considered trying to remove the a pillar cover to clean to all the gunk buildup in there not necessarily for rust. Before I go this route I am going to clean it with some type of wire. If I end up having to remove the a pillar cover I would drill the rivets out really really really carefully. Those rivets are small so I think patience and precision are key. You may be able to find new a pillar covers used from a parted out G since it is such a wide range of years the part can come from. If you end up doing this please snap some pics and share!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts