Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
SL55 AMG 2002
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been looking for pano roofs for quite some time and I have seen a few on E-bay here in Europe, but never really been close to lay hands on one.
Here is Sweden we have quit many R129, but very few with pano roofs and none of those have been scrapped to my knowledge.
Suddenly there was an add on a Swedish internet site on a pano roof from a -98 SL600.
I contacted the company and they said that the rroof had been ordered by a customer that suddenly backed off from the deal.
They realized that it was an odd object, but obviously not the correct value and general interest for it.
Their starting price asked was around 2.900 USD. After a few weeks they lowered the price to 2.200 USD.
I had been seeking means to finance a purchase during the period until this happened.
I contacted them to find out the details about the roof regarding any damages and/or missing parts and found that it was complete and ok.
Lucky enough the paint is correct for my car (189 Balck opal) but the interior is light tan and I have a grey interior.
My intention is to change the color by using a special vinylpaint that goes in to the material instead of just laying on top. This will prevent peeling off.
The best way would be to change the interior like Mr. Clifton did, but I believe that the cost for this would be higher then the roof itself.
Here in Sweden a complete set of interior parts for the pano roof would cost 2.300 USD
Now I have saved the best for last.
As I understood that the company was stuck with the roof I took a chance and made them an offer of 1.800 USD including shipping to my door! After a while they accepted!
At this moment I must admit that I am happy and believe that it was a great deal, at least for me.

Regards
Bjorn

Attachments

·
Registered
'91 500SL, '92 300E, '65 Mustang
305 Posts
Nice job with the purchase! now, where are they shipping it? Hopefully they dont send a silver regular hardtop instead! ;)

·
Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts
Hi,

As I understood that the company was stuck with the roof I took a chance and made them an offer of 1.800 USD including shipping to my door! After a while they accepted!
At this moment I must admit that I am happy and believe that it was a great deal, at least for me.

Regards
Bjorn
Hi Bjorn,
Nice one, I hope you enjoy your Pano as much as I do. It's a bright sunny but cold Winters day here in the UK and I've just been out for an hour with the glass roof on. Almost as good as roof down, and your stereo sounds better too as a bonus. Be careful when you come to fit it - the glass roof is very rear heavy (the balance point is just in front of where the top and rear glass panels meet) and it's easy to catch the spikes on your rear deck, so cover it up. A hoist is a good idea, note that a simple bar with foam protectors supporting the roof in the 90 degree corner will NOT touch your seals on a Pano since the construction is different from the standard roof. A third strop going back to the rear of the roof provides stability.

One more think, your shippers will have to weigh the roof - SO TELL KEN! I don't think he ever got a definitive weight for a Pano. My guesstimation is 92 lb / 41 kgs.

Regards
Steve

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
Hey can you get me one delivered in California for the same price?
I may go for it. ;) Haha.
Just joking.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
SL55 AMG 2002
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

Thanks fo all the nice replys to my post.
I will be back with some pictures and text about the change of interior color later on.

Regards
Bjorn

1 - 10 of 10 Posts