Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
91 420SEL, 72 350SL, 99 S600, 05 F-350, 09 C300, 10 987, 12 GL450 , 87 560SEL ,05 SL600, tractors
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have over 40 years experience repairing and maintaining MB automobiles. I came to the realization that my newer cars (X164, R230, W204, W140) need a real diagnostic tool to be properly cared for. I purchased a C4 DTS and disc with software from China, but I could never get it to function and the selling company left town before I could ask for help. Next I purchased a Foxwell scanner for MB, but realize that it is not always 100% accurate and many funtions are missing.
What I need is some solid advice on who to buy the software disk from that includes the HHT-WIN for my SL600. I am not computer illiterate, but started out with machine language coding and am not up to date with all the newer jargon, but can navigate in DOS and Windows. The laptop i will be using has the 4th generation I7 processor (Dell Latitude).
Any and all input is appreciated

· Registered
Cervelo R5, 1982 380SL, 2005 SL500, 1971 280SE, 1966 230SL
502 Posts
I have C4 as well as C5, from offshore as well as local. In my personal experience I prefer the software installation from a reputable source. The unit itself is pretty well the same quality or at least comparable. It’s the software where the difference lies. I bought an extra X230 tablet wiped it clean all the way down to fresh (old) system installation. That is a dedicated machine and does not get used for anything else. I’m on the wire even that the wireless option is available. I totally disabled it and even removed the wifi module.
My less expensive unit always had some glitches, that is not to say that it didn’t work. It just took longer to get it to work sometimes. I associate some of the problems with the way the laptop was setup, yet any attempt of modifications would result it system reboot and revert to the original.
I have no vested interest in either choice. If you wish I can provide you with the contact info through the PM

· Premium Member
91 420SEL, 72 350SL, 99 S600, 05 F-350, 09 C300, 10 987, 12 GL450 , 87 560SEL ,05 SL600, tractors
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have C4 as well as C5, from offshore as well as local. In my personal experience I prefer the software installation from a reputable source. The unit itself is pretty well the same quality or at least comparable. It’s the software where the difference lies. I bought an extra X230 tablet wiped it clean all the way down to fresh (old) system installation. That is a dedicated machine and does not get used for anything else. I’m on the wire even that the wireless option is available. I totally disabled it and even removed the wifi module.
My less expensive unit always had some glitches, that is not to say that it didn’t work. It just took longer to get it to work sometimes. I associate some of the problems with the way the laptop was setup, yet any attempt of modifications would result it system reboot and revert to the original.
I have no vested interest in either choice. If you wish I can provide you with the contact info through the PM
Mark:
Thanks for the reply. I also intend to use the laptop as a dedicated device and air gap. Will PM you for the contact.

· Registered
2005 W211 251K, M113/5Gtronic, Volvo 760 Turbo, 167K, 2006 W203 313K, M272 and 721.6.
56 Posts
How is the experience with those offshore boxes? I still have my Foxwell but finally have a need to get Benz to either donate an SDS or get an offshore model (the most likely case) and I have no idea what is good. Usually WIS is enough for me for diagnosis but those full OES SDS's are for affluent, wealthy folks.
I ain't one of them, and gratefully so. I am willing to take a chance with those offshores.

· Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
25,359 Posts
The person recommended by @gregscheller sells the same Chinese :clone" hacked systems you can by for 25% of the cost. However, that seller does provide some level of support. If you can't build your own system and need some hand-holding, then feel free to pay for those services. If you want to DIY, you can do it for much less money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts