1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
VW R32, G55 AMG
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I'm a new member to the benzworld...
I don't own a G wagon but my father does and he's been having alot of problems with his car.
It's 2004 G55 AMG and been searching for some enthusiast website like this to ask questions.
Well, I just woke up this morning to go to grocery shopping and when I got into the car "tc in neutral" sign popped up in the center console with beeping sound and stayed on. This continued even after I turned car off, got out and locked the car.
I don't know where my father kept the manuals and he's away...
Is there a way to turn off the beep and the sign or do I have to bring the car to the dealer?
And also, is there a thread with known problems to newer G wagons? Search not working.... [xx(]
Thanks

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
eprangia - 3/26/2005 8:44 AM

Well, I just woke up this morning to go to grocery shopping and when I got into the car "tc in neutral" sign popped up in the center console with beeping sound and stayed on. This continued even after I turned car off, got out and locked the car.
I don't know where my father kept the manuals and he's away...
Is there a way to turn off the beep and the sign or do I have to bring the car to the dealer?

Thanks
Bring it to the dealer. Thats a fairly well known problem and requires a new servo.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
eprangia - 3/26/2005 8:58 AM

Sorry but what's servo?
Not something you can fix. It's a dealer job.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
servo

It's the part that moves the transfer case into different gears. Time was when a lever on the floor was good enough to get this job done. But in the new ones it takes three comuters, servos, switches, and half a mile of wire and tubing. [:)]

Dutch is right though, it should go to the dealer. That is, if you can move it. I'm not familiar with this problem. It could be that the transfer case is REALLY in neutral, in which case you'll have to have it hauled to the dealer (if you do, make sure they use a flat bed truck). But more likely it's just some faulty "elecktrickery".

Either way the best bet is to make a call to the dealer and arrange to have them pick up the truck and have a look at it.

Good luck!

-Dave G.

·
Registered
'80 230G SWB, '03 G500, '80 280GE LWB (sold), '98 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (sold)
708 Posts
RE: servo

And even more luck for when dad finds out you were playing with his car when he was gone![;)]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts

Mike G. - 3/26/2005 12:07 PM

And even more luck for when dad finds out you were playing with his car when he was gone![;)]
That was my thought, too; and a good reason why the keys to the G are kept out of general circulation in this house.[8D]

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
servo... i think basically to automate the transfer case they've taken a windshield wiper motor and employed it to perform the function of the right hand. It's having "trouble"... i think as long as you don't try to change the transfer case position you can drive around just fine, i think i recall others doing so for weeks, but its probably best to have it looked at sooner than later.

·
Registered
VW R32, G55 AMG
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Mike G. - 3/26/2005 12:07 PM

LOL My father was away for a month and told me to take care of the car for him. So no prob with that... besides I enjoy driving my R32 more. [:p]
Car has sign on and still beeps but drives fine... guess some electric circuit problem..[?] Going to the dealer first thing in the morning on Monday.
Thanks guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts