Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 E55, 94 E420, 88 300E TT, 04 Infiniti FX45, 09 Infiniti QX56, Sold: 92 500E, 01 Passat,
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been around here for sometime and read quite some good stuff written by all of you guys .. Thank you all.

I was encouraged after reading thread "when does your boost come" mainly between RBYCC and Nick. So, I decided to post this.

Early last year I bought a 300E that was tuned (TT) in Japan.

In picture # 1 you see its condition when I received it.
In picture # 2 the condition a couple of months later.

I tried my best as time and money allowed Of course with the help of friends and some tech guys.

Some info about my car:

- The M103 on it has a thicker head gasket like double size of original.
- I did a valve job and Heads are fine.
- Turbos are IHI and the model no. of it is unreadable.
- It had MSD ignition but he sold alone, anyway I have one.
- It has a Split Fire or so Coil
- It had 2 external injectors, but missing!
- Intercooler 30x30 cm; I changed it to what you see.
- It came with no BOV, I put HKS one.
- It has 2 Wastgates nothing readable on it.
- Normal Spark plugs Sport wires .. one not.
- Manual Trans 5+R ( I think its the Sport Line one )
- Front shocks and springs are OEM
- Rear shocks and springs are AMG
- Front Recaro Seats
- AMG Side Skirts
- AMG Rear bumper
- E500E front Fenders
- E500E front bumper

Good enough for now :)

Changes done by me are too long to put here. But to cut the long story short, I dismantle the engine, gear and diff and replaced, cleaned everything in my way to get to second picture.

Due to lack of time and funds I stopped for the last 8 months ….

I am back to work now.

Changes in Progress for the last two weeks:
- Complete New paint job
- Interior work ( Refurbished to 2 Tones )
- EVO II Wheels 17" (Original )

The main reason to post this is to share with you.
Second, to tell you that this beauty so far doesn't even make 200 rwhp !?

Any suggestions ?

Regards,
Altayib.

Attachments

·
Registered
682 Posts
200 rwh? doesnt sound too bad, what boost pressure have you got? if the aditional injectors are missing, you will probbably be running lean, run lean and you WILL melt your engine, get it sorted asap.

post some pics of your interior, id be interested to see it.

forget the paint till it runs right, nothing worse than a shiny turd, better a shitty looking rocket, then you can paint it.

where is your first gear is it on a dogleg, or is it in the conventional position, if not dogleg, anything over 250 crank hp will kill it, what clutch you runnin, i got a twin plate sachs in mine good for 900 hp! std merc clutch wont last long there are two types also, one is the diesal one and one is the g wagon one, the later is best, but not up to much!

how did you get the car from japan? it looks lhd, i thought japs were all rhd like uk?

·
Registered
99 E55, 94 E420, 88 300E TT, 04 Infiniti FX45, 09 Infiniti QX56, Sold: 92 500E, 01 Passat,
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
200 rwh? doesnt sound too bad, what boost pressure have you got? if the aditional injectors are missing, you will probbably be running lean, run lean and you WILL melt your engine, get it sorted asap.

post some pics of your interior, id be interested to see it.

forget the paint till it runs right, nothing worse than a shiny turd, better a shitty looking rocket, then you can paint it.

where is your first gear is it on a dogleg, or is it in the conventional position, if not dogleg, anything over 250 crank hp will kill it, what clutch you runnin, i got a twin plate sachs in mine good for 900 hp! std merc clutch wont last long there are two types also, one is the diesal one and one is the g wagon one, the later is best, but not up to much!

how did you get the car from japan? it looks lhd, i thought japs were all rhd like uk?

No gauges are installed yet. The 200rwhp I mentioned was just a tentative figure from a couple of tests a did before 8 months or so. It was just feelings, compared to my 500E and I think it is much less than that!

By next week hopefully, I’ll be installing gauges and we’ll take it from there.

I know it is running lean and those missing injectors are going to cause me a headache.
Do you suggest and injectors and how to operate it?

I only have some old picture of interior which I don’t think are good to post. I’ll spy some for you after assembly.

Paint is done and interior is also about to finish, I think I’ll just have to wait.

Yes first gear is on the dogleg and running standard clutch. I was looking for a sashes clutch but don’t know which one what no. and where from?

I am also planning for a deff. swap. It has a 2.4? which I think is too slow.
Any suggestions?

The car was imported by a someone else with a dream he thought of but it turned to him as a nightmare. MB tuning is not easy for everyone as the case on mustangs and the like.

Japan has so many lhd. I know some guys who have imported lhd E500Es and W140s last year.

·
Registered
E320 Twin Turbo Coupe
154 Posts
Japanese cars are RHD so driving a LHD tells everyone you spent a fortune in taxes importing a car. If you've really made it in Japan you drive a LHD car. Strange but true. That car would have been owned by a very wealthy person originally. Probably someone with lots of tattoos ;)

200 rwhp is probably about right. What's the torque and have you checked the AFR on a rolling road? What's the boost pressure?

Edit. I've just looked again at the size of those turbos. I think 200rwhp is a little low. With a decent boost pressure, good fuelling and a healthy engine I think it should be a bit higher.
I know it is running lean and those missing injectors are going to cause me a headache.
Do you suggest and injectors and how to operate it?
It'll cause you more than a headache! Don't run it until you have the fuelling sorted.
You could copy the Turbotechnics solution and install an extra injector (or two) directly into the throttle body and control it with a Split Second controller.

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
The missing injectors will cause more then a headache...possible cost you an engine.
Don't do anything until you first sort out the enrichment.
Where are the two additional injectors located ?

If it's a 1988 manual car then I would think your differential ratio is 3.07:1

As far as power, at 7lbs boost I've dyno'd ( load dyno ) at 262HP / 302 torque with afr under full boost around 11.7

You might want to pull air from a cooler outside location to feed the turbos.
The less restrictions from intake to boost piping the more power you will make.

The M103 will stay together and make power if you give it the fuel it needs !!!

Good luck

Ed A.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Japanese cars are RHD so driving a LHD tells everyone you spent a fortune in taxes importing a car. If you've really made it in Japan you drive a LHD car. Strange but true. That car would have been owned by a very wealthy person originally. Probably someone with lots of tattoos ;)

200 rwhp is probably about right. What's the torque and have you checked the AFR on a rolling road? What's the boost pressure?

Edit. I've just looked again at the size of those turbos. I think 200rwhp is a little low. With a decent boost pressure, good fuelling and a healthy engine I think it should be a bit higher.

It'll cause you more than a headache! Don't run it until you have the fuelling sorted.
You could copy the Turbotechnics solution and install an extra injector (or two) directly into the throttle body and control it with a Split Second controller.
For this particular reason I've VIN checked it before buying and found its german and i am sure it was imported here from Japan.

Fueling is on the top of my priorities and i know that i have a healthy engine don't know how much boost i can go after with that thick head gasket?
.. maybe 1.5 bar or so at a later stage !

Thanks for the above link :thumbsup:
I've seen this unit in Ed's car .. do you think its all what i need?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The missing injectors will cause more then a headache...possible cost you an engine.
Don't do anything until you first sort out the enrichment.
Where are the two additional injectors located ?

If it's a 1988 manual car then I would think your differential ratio is 3.07:1

As far as power, at 7lbs boost I've dyno'd ( load dyno ) at 262HP / 302 torque with afr under full boost around 11.7

You might want to pull air from a cooler outside location to feed the turbos.
The less restrictions from intake to boost piping the more power you will make.

The M103 will stay together and make power if you give it the fuel it needs !!!

Good luck

Ed A.
If you zoom the second picture you'll see the place of two additional injectors behind the right headlight of the photo on the intake.

I don't think it has its original differential. It is caring a 2:4?

Those no. are promising to me.

I think in this case i need to prolong the pipe holding the 2 filters to reach some where behind the headlight.

I've also thought of a hood scoop :confused:

BTW. Thanks for the contribution Ed.

·
Registered
682 Posts
sachs clutch was very expensive! pm me for details. i have a turbo technics twin extra injector holder for sale if you are interested, again pm me.

if you use synthetic oil in that gearbox, it will hold 450 hp. its the same one used in the bmw e30 m3 and also the m6 race cars as well as the 400 hp cozzy merc rasers

i've clicked my mbc up two more notches today, 14.6 psi!! oh yes its gonna fly.

also fitted most of my new cream interior, man it looks so cool now, just got to do the door cards, carpet and lower dash, will have to wait till the weekend, got loads of other things to do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sachs clutch was very expensive! pm me for details. i have a turbo technics twin extra injector holder for sale if you are interested, again pm me.

if you use synthetic oil in that gearbox, it will hold 450 hp. its the same one used in the bmw e30 m3 and also the m6 race cars as well as the 400 hp cozzy merc rasers

also fitted most of my new cream interior, man it looks so cool now, just got to do the door cards, carpet and lower dash, will have to wait till the weekend, got loads of other things to do.
Thanks Nick
I'll PM you

M3 Synthetic oil in gear .. that a good piece of info.

Glad you reached the 14.6 psi .. pray for me :bowdown:

Post a picture of your new interior, I'll be glad to see it.
Is it a one tone cream, and what are the cards color?

I am going to spy some good shots of my interior tomorrow .. Don't worry I'll post some :)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Nick

Looks like you're making up for all the time you couldn't find your boost !!!
Be careful....traction becomes a problem !!!

Ed

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
If you zoom the second picture you'll see the place of two additional injectors behind the right headlight of the photo on the intake.
Imperative that you install them or else you'll never achieve a good enough AFR to prevent detonation under boost.
The Split Second unit is about USD $375, very easy to install, a stand alone unit that has an internal Map sensor.
I now believe that a manual boost controller is a necessity as it synchronizes the openings of the waste gates which gives faster sppol up and more even power build up.

I don't think it has its original differential. It is caring a 2:4?
Very unusual...how have you checked...?

Those no. are promising to me.
These engines can make a great deal of power and still remain reliable !

I think in this case i need to prolong the pipe holding the 2 filters to reach some where behind the headlight.
Try to find a BMW airbox that holds a panel type filter...modify it to take the two intake pipes from the turbo.
The lower intake to the filter box can be dropped behind the headlight and opened up to the area where you remove the tow hook cover.

I've also thought of a hood scoop :confused:
Hood scoop would not be practical.
I will be installing heat extractors using vents from a Nissan 280ZX similar to the period Mosselman Silver Arrows.
The location will not be as pictured but on the edge of the raised portion of the hood

BTW. Thanks for the contribution Ed.
Keep your thread going and ask questions...somebody will be able to respond positively !!

Ed A.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Split Second unit is about USD $375. I now believe that a manual boost controller is a necessity as it synchronizes the openings of the waste gates which gives faster sppol up and more even power build up.
I'll be buying Boost control unit next week hopefully.

I've seen the Split Second site and I'll get this thing soon.
Is the unit we are talking about the : 1.8T Boost Control System
And it's $274

Very unusual...how have you checked...?
Remember .. one year back I've put apart almost everything under the car !

A BMW airbox that holds a panel type filter...modify it to take the two intake pipes from the turbo.
The lower intake to the filter box can be dropped behind the headlight and opened up to the area where you remove the tow hook cover.
Smart work Ed :thumbsup:
How about the location under headlights i.e. cut and mesh stuff .. done by many here. Is it good enough to pass the air to filter box?

Hood scoop would not be practical.
Why? because of rain etc. or ??

I will be installing heat extractors using vents from a Nissan 280ZX similar to the period Mosselman Silver Arrows.
The location will not be as pictured but on the edge of the raised portion of the hood
I was thinking of that too .. I liked the one on the MLs and the CLKs

Keep your thread going and ask questions...somebody will be able to respond positively !!

Ed A.
I think It'll keep going as work is in progress and it's going to be very educative to many of us.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
It was recommended to me by another forum member and I agree that the Hallman Pro RX works as a MBC for under $100.00
Install a boost guage in the car so you can see the results.

Easy install !

The injector controller is the Split Second AIC1-A2L...smaller then a pack of cigarettes !

The mesh openings under the headlights will bring air in, but by the time it reaches your filters it will be hot.
You need to bring ambient temp air into the turbos.
Cooler intake air = more power as it is a denser charge.

Hood scoop would be difficult to configure to maximize ambient air intake.

Basically my intake system is sealed from the ambient air opening through the filter box and to the turbo intakes.

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
Get the intake hoses from 400E/500E, those get fresh air from below the headlights and route them nicely to the engine from both sides... just what you need!

·
Registered
682 Posts
post a ic of the 400 500 e air intakes please, i'm thinkin of altering mine if my boost keeps growin!-)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Get the intake hoses from 400E/500E, those get fresh air from below the headlights and route them nicely to the engine from both sides... just what you need!

Yes, please post a picture let us see how .. Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
re: New 300E M103 TT

Hallman Pro RX

Hallman site is down !
Also not sure I can find it in town ... I might find HKS or similar quality.

The injector controller is the Split Second AIC1-A2L...

I sent them email to place an order .. waiting for feedback.

The mesh openings under the headlights .. you need to bring ambient temp air into the turbos.
Cooler intake air = more power as it is a denser charge.

I meant to connect the BMW airbox to the mesh instead of using a tube to the bumper area .. how is that sounds now!

·
Registered
682 Posts
WIKED, CLASSIC -C RECAROS, YOU ARE IN THE CLUB BRO!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts