Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NOTE: While the SRS discussion that follows works, using it can be annoying. Give it a read, bit know that I am using a much simpler and just about as effective approach simply by installing a custom EQ setting on an iPod. If the SRS approach seems to be inconvenient to use, see post #19 in this thread.

First, I am in no way affiliated with SRS Labs or any part of the business or its marketing, except as a customer.

I purchased software for my iPhone 4 and Gen 4 iPod Touch called MyTunes Pro, by SRS (which used to mean "Sound Recovery System" - you may have seen it as a setting on some audio equipment, meant to provide a "fuller" sound). MyTunes Pro ($6.99) provides audio enhancement for iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod Touch Third and Fourth Generation, and it does a fantastic job. Though I record my music in AIFF or Apple Lossless formats, the software still provides major enhancements to the music quality. The SRS site says the app is meant to restore quality lost in mp3 compression - but it does more, even with the higher quality formats.

The MyTunesPro app is available through the Apple App store. However, there is software for non-Apple players as well, called WOW, available through the SRS website. See https://www.srslabs.com/store/store/comersus_index.asp for the options. MyTunes Pro essentially "takes over" playback from Apple's "Music" app on those devices, and adds the music enhancement, which has numerous tailoring options (far more than the iTunes EQ selections).

I have MyTunes Pro on my iPhone4 and on the iPod Touch. There was an immediate improvement when I used both over Bluetooth in my 450SL (which has an Alpine HU equipped for A2DP). I also noticed significant improvement when I plugged the iPhone into the Gateway 500 in my S-Class and into the iPod connector I also have in the SL (sound quality has always been better with the devices plugged in than over A2DP).

MyTunes Pro improves sound output both via the large connector and the earphone jack. Thus it should improve sound over ear buds, or anything with which you listen to the iPhone or iPod Touch. I do not know how it will work in cars that use the Mercedes OE 3.5mm AUX jack, though. The circuitry MB uses compresses the audio (See OEM iPod Adapter vs. In-Dash CD vs. Gateway 500 - MBWorld.org Forums), so I don't know whether there will be much improvement where the AUX jack is used.

SRS offers a free trial app with limited features, but that will allow access to the full MyTunes Pro features for 10 minutes per day - so trying it out is free. The limited app is called MyTunes.

For iPods other than the iPod Touch Gen 3 or 4, SRS makes a type of dongle to enhance audio, that is used together with an app one downloads from the SRS site. The dongle, called iWow 3D, seems to terminate in a 3.5mm female jack. A similar device for non-Apple players is called the iWow-U (universal). The dongles are available on the SRS website.

For those who miss a good bass response (a complaint I see often from S-Class and E-Class owners, especially with Bose systems), this may be the answer. The software provides wonderful bass just in its basic mode, and there is a very good equalizer also provided (so owners of Bose systems CAN adjust that midrange).

In terms of improvement of audio quality, MyTunes Pro is one of the best $6.99 investments I have made.

The software solution may not satisfy everyone - but it has certainly improved the performance of the Bose system in my car, and the price does not make it prohibitively expensive IF you can already use an iPod in your Mercedes.

If not, then there are ways to add one - but some of them are not cheap. D2B equipped cars can use the Dension Gateway 500 for D2B; MOST bus equipped cars can use the MOST version of the Gateway 500, and also devices by mObridge. While the Gateway 500 runs about $450, it is a LOT less expensive that changing out the entire audio, phone, and nav system ($2500 to $5,000 generally for a 3rd party replacement). It is also a lot easier than trying to remove and replace the existing sub in the rear deck.

You can see the installation of a MOST version of the Gateway 500 at http://www.mbca.org/forum/how-integrate-ipod-cars-cannot-use-mb-ipod-kit (the most recently edited version) or http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1319829-gateway-500-most-not-ready-prime.html#post2376586. The Dension site is at www.dension.com, and mObridge is at http://www.mobridge.us/. Unfortunately, the owner of Cartronics passed away, and one can no longer order the iTronics line, at least through that site.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION/REVIEW:

NOTE: About 3 weeks after I wrote the review immediately below, SRS Labs posted the version 2.1.0 update, which seems to have remedied most of the problems mentioned (except the customer support problem). See more at post #7 below.

After using the MyTunes Pro app (not the hardware) for a time, I have determined that there are several problems with it. While it is superb at what it is advertised to do - improve audio quality - it has several functional drawbacks, and SRS Labs' customer support has been simply awful.

iPod integration devices for Mercedes MOST fiber optics using the 30-pin connector - whether 3rd party or the OE MB kit - display ID Tag 3 information (song title, artist, album) either on the multifunction display or on the COMAND screen in vehicles that have COMAND. In addition, music selection (via playlist, artist or album sorts) can be made using the COMAND buttons; and songs can be scrolled and volume controlled using the steering wheel buttons. Essentially, these functions will work this way whether an iPod, iPod Touch, or iPhone is connected. The Apple "Music" app on the iPod Touch and iPhone functions just like an iPod, and it plays well with our Benzes. Not so with MyTunes Pro.

MyTunes Pro seems to block most of the ability to control the player via the 30-pin connector. Whatever song was selected on the iPod Touch or iPhone when the player starts will display on COMAND; once that happens, the COMAND buttons for music selection become inoperative; the display does not change, even though play has moved on to other songs. One cannot scroll the songs (or anything else) using the COMAND buttons. If one makes a manual selection of another song on the player, the new song will play, but the old song title does not change on COMAND. One is able to scroll through music using the steering wheel button, but nothing changes on the COMAND screen, and track information shown on the MFD is not accurate. Essentially, one is in the same boat as if one were using a Dension Gateway 500, for example, in a D2B system. One is back to making all song selections on the player. But there is more.

When starting up, one has to ensure each time that MyTunes Pro has started up on the player; and must manually select "Car" as the connected device (MyTunes Pro optimizes for a wide variety of connected devices - headphones, external players, etc). Selecting "Car" requires going through two screens on the player (when using MyTunes Pro in a player connected to a car, if the music skips constantly it is because "Car" has not been selected). It would be much better if MyTunes Pro remembered the setting for the connected device when shut down.

Also bad, when shutting down, the player's screen will go dark, but power is not turned off (as would happen with an iPod). One must manually turn off the player's power, or its battery will discharge.

The only ultimate result I am seeking is that MyTunes Pro function with regard to the 30-pin connector the same way Apple's "Music" program does on the iPod Touch and the iPhone. I do not like that when it takes over the "Music" function MyTunes Pro blocks normal control functions via the 30-pin connector.

But worst of all was customer support. The initial problem I noticed was that one soundtrack piece from which I had removed a portion using PEAK editing software was playing the remaining portions out of sequence. I reported the problem via SRS Labs' website email, and got a reply within a day stating the matter had been referred to technical support. For several days, nothing - but I wound up solving my own problem (reopened the edited file in PEAK software, selected all, re-saved, then re-imported into iTunes) and notified SRS Labs of the solution. Nothing, no response.

Since then, and for two weeks I have reported the additional problems above via the SRS webmail system, twice. I have called three times using the number provided by the customer service rep who responded to my first problem report; I have left messages requesting reply by email or phone - nothing. So the problems remain, and SRS Labs would seem to care less, providing absolutely no response or support.

Thought you should know.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
SRS sound processing output should also work thru Auxilary input but it's 2 channels only, same as thru iphone/bluetooth. To really get SRS benefit, hardware is the way to get 3D SRS sound.
For cars, there's SRS 3D sound processor with 5-band parametric EQ. Two channels in, 5 channels out (front L/R, rear L/R, and subwoofer).
The video shows a setup with such SRS processor through 2-channel music streaming. Its 5-band parametric EQ is set at neutral.
Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Attachments

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
As I said, the enhancement for non-Apple players is called WOW. You'll can go to the SRS site (I provided the link) to see if it works with Android devices.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Before the digital age, the quick quasi-3D sound was done by reversing the +/- on the rear speakers to cause some delay because the signals are out of phase with the front.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
fyi, iPod, iTouch and the rest of iApple stuff are just some way overpriced gadgets. For example, a 16GB iTouch costs $200 and you have to buy an app for SRS. And 99.5% of their advertised 100,000 apps are useless.
My old old $30 8GB USB mp3 player had the selective WOW SRS effect built-in and many EQ modes. It also works as a USB thumb drive, voice recorder, FM radio, ...
http://www.centon.com/doc/guides/eng/crazeguide.pdf

Attachments

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, it's your opinion (hardly information, as you characterized it) - and I don't share it. While the Centon Craze is a neat music player, it had only 4 and 8GB memory options. Today, where it is still available, the 8GB version is usually around $60. While that is less than an iPod, my music collection is over 30GB, and most of it is not in mp3 format - it is AIFF or other lossless formats. An 8 GB mp3 player can't begin to handle what I carry on my Apple devices.

The options for integrating Apple products into the MB COMAND or other audio systems have largely worked quite well. It is a letdown that SRS Labs didn't see fit to utilize the path Apple had already prepared for control of the units - they simply ignored it. They didn't have to.

Also, my iPods are mostly retired now - I use them in docking stations that feed into audio systems in different rooms. I use the devices I carry or much more than just playing music.

And if most of the apps available for Apple devices don't suit you, it is hardly any wonder - there are over 650,000 of them. I find most of the 35 or so I have to be extraordinarily useful - such as having Garmin turn-by-turn navigation available on both the iPhone and iPod Touch. I can use it in both my S-Class and in the 450SL. It is especially useful in the 450SL, which does not have an OEM nav system; and the Yellow Pages app goes a long way to make up for the shortfalls of the "Points of Interest" feature in my MB OEM nav system. Of course, Apple will include that feature, voice-activated and with 3-D presentations, in the upcoming iOS 6. One won't have to buy the Garmin nav software.

A $30 mp3 player isn't going to do that. It isn't going to help me plot out my exercise routes, so I know how far I have walked, and how long, and how much was uphill. It won't let me get the email or phone call I was waiting for, while I am out. It won't get me to the nearest Home Depot, or a restaurant in another city - and a hundred other functions I find useful to have.

And I'm not so sure that only the poor control implementation by SRS Labs is limited to the iPod Touch and iPhone - because so few other devices integrate well into the MB systems, the way Apple does. Sure, one can use A2DP streaming with some of them (you can with the iPhone, too, as I used to in the 450SL) - but the audio quality is inferior to a wired connection, even with SRS.

So I hope I can get SRS Labs to fix their oversight. Although SRS WOW was not built into the Apple devices, $6.99 didn't exactly break the bank. It works just great, and included a wide range of EQ options - and it handles all of my music. It just needs to allow better control when used with a device integrated into OEM audio equipment. It needs to allow the device to be controlled as it is with its original software.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
MyTunes Pro Version 2.1.0 Update Fixes Many Problems

I updated MyTunes Pro to the new (as of yesterday) Version 2.1.0 update. The player now controls the iPod Touch and iPhone 4 pretty much as does the Apple music player.

One can now select music sorts by playlist, artist, or album, using the COMAND buttons, just as one does with the Apple player. When one selects one of the sort types, the items appear on the COMAND screen; and once an item is selected, the song titles appear and are fully selectable and scrollable. Song titles change as play advances to the next song. Multiple scrolling no longer "stalls" the unit.

When one first enters the car, using the Gateway 500, the iPod Touch power comes on. It will begin to play the last selection, but MyTunes Pro will not be active. One must unlock the screen, start MyTunes Pro, and select "Car" as the playback option. Once that is done, control is exactly like the Apple music player.

I still haven't checked whether it is necessary still to manually turn the iPod Touch off when exiting the car to avoid discharging its battery. If one exits for a short time, music pauses, and play will resume where it left off (but you still have to re-select MyTunes Pro), but in the past failing to shut the unit down after 1) opening a door, even without starting the car, or 2) exiting after driving would discharge the iPod Touch battery. I will update.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I tried this with my '04 E320 with Harman Kardon & COMAND, and the Mercedes iPod integration kit. My iPod kit is installed so that I still have the Aux plug in the glove box.

Through the iPod connector, the controls work just like they did before, but a little slower to respond. The H-K system sounded good by itself, but the enhanced audio is pretty good; there's only so much you can do with an MP3. As Skylaw mentions, you've got to have the MyTunes app running in Car mode for it to override the normal Apple music player, which starts automatically when you plug in the iPod connector (I'm using an iPhone 4.)

The sound quality through the Aux connector is the same as the iPod kit, if a bit louder. This doesn't surprise me, as the iPod kit and the Aux connector feed the same port on the COMAND head unit; the iPod kit electronics don't seem to affect the sound quality.

KevinD

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Starting Sequence

Getting the MOST version of the Gateway 500 and MyTunes Pro to work together to allow the app to function and also to allow full control using the COMAND and steering wheel functions has been a bit of a challenge. Using the wrong startup sequence (and there are no instructions for this, anywhere) you either get 1) Normal control of the iPodTouch or iPhone via COMAND and steering wheel, with normal COMAND screen readout but NO MyTunes Pro enhancement; or, 2) A frozen COMAND screen (stuck on the first song that started playing on the iPod), but with MyTunes Pro functioning and all control of song selection needing to be done on the iPod Touch or iPhone.

But I think I finally broke the code. In what follows, I usually say "iPod Touch" but it includes iPhone as well. iPod Touch refers to a Gen 3 or 4 unit. The software-only version of MyTunes pro does not run on any iPod, or on versions of the iPod Touch earlier than Gen 3.

When I exit the car for a long time (all day or night) I turn the iPod Touch off using the power button on top of the iPod. It will not shut down when you exit the car and remove the key; it goes to "pause" and will eventually run its battery down. I leave the Gateway 500 selected ("CDC on COMAND, GW 500 on the GW selector switch - the way I always use it). So when I get into the car initially, here is the sequence.

1. When a door opens, COMAND starts up and the iPod Touch powers up - but its screen is locked. Don't do anything to it yet!

2. Start the car. The COMAND screen will indicate "AUX GW" at the top, not iPod - this is because the iPod Touch screen is still locked, and the Gateway 500 senses that nothing is connected.

3. Unlock the iPod Touch screen.

4. Start the MyTunes Pro application, but DO NOT make any song selections on the iPod Touch.

5. Choose "CAR" once MyTunes Pro has started up to activate the proper audio adjustment (I leave MyTune Pro set to "Playlists" so after selecting "CAR," that's what it shows once it is running).

6. On COMAND, select the way you want to sort/select your music - i.e., select 1, 2, or 3 etc. for Playlist, Album, Artist or compilation sorts. Note: If the COMAND remains on "AUX GW" as it music source, you may have to go back to the Audio menu and select "CDC" to return the GW 500 to the iPod Touch. Then, you can choose how you want to sort

7. Scroll to the playlist, album, or artist you wish to listen to. The music will start without your doing anything else, and MyTunes Pro audio enhancement will be working. It is not necessary to load the playlist (when it reaches the end, it will"stop" and allow you to select something else.

The advantage of using this sequence is that once it has started, you have full control of the iPod Touch (or iPhone music) using COMAND buttons and steering wheel controls. You control the iPod Touch the same way you would control any iPod, before using MyTunes pro.

8. When you exit the car for a brief time, just turn the key off and remove it. The iPod Touch will pause, and MYTunes Pro remains active. When you re-start the car, everything will continue as you left it.

When you exit the car for a long time, again, turn off the iPod touch using its power button, or you will run its battery down. If you open a door and see the COMAND screen illuminate, also be aware that the iPod Touch has powered on (but is locked) - and you must turn it off again using its power button.

Once you get the startup sequence down (it becomes second nature in a short time), control of the iPod Touch running MyTunes Pro is exactly as it is using the Apple Music Player, either on a straight iPod or on an iPod Touch - and the audio enhancement is well worth the effort (and LOTS less expensive than replacing the audio system to improve the sound).

·
Registered
32 Posts
4. Start the MyTunes Pro application, but DO NOT make any song selections on the iPod Touch.
I've found this step to be the key to getting the steering wheel controls & dash (speedometer) display to work right (I've the MB iPod kit, so no COMAND control/display.)

KevinD

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for confirming this as the key step for the MB iPod kit as well.

My steps at post 10 could be condensed to: 1) Start the car in normal configuration. 2) Unlock iPod Touch and start MyTunes Pro. 3) Select "Car" once MyTunes Pro loads; do not select any music on the iPod. 4) Make your music selection on your car's head unit.

Then, a cautionary note: If you shut the car down for short periods, there is no need to turn the iPod Touch off; music will pause when you leave, and re-start with MyTunes Pro enhancement when you restart. But if you park it for long periods, turn the iPod off or its battery will run down.

It is different, but not all that complicated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks Skylaw.

I just wanted to clarify,

1. Do you have to perform the steps above each time you start the car?
2. If you don't, will command unit will continue to operate the ipod without the MyTunesPro as if it were not installed?
3. Does the Ipod interface charge the ipod while in use?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
1. When I start the car for the first time, I unlock the iPod Touch, start MyTunes Pro, choose whether to update the data cache, and let it load. Then, I make the choice of the type of audio processing (listening mode) to be used (always "CAR" when connected to the car). Once that is done, I select the music I want to play using the COMAND controls.

Note: If you do not select the type of audio processing, music will skip when playing back. That tells you that you failed to select the listening mode.

If I shut the car down for a short time, then re-start, everything will start back up as I left it - there is no need to go through the process. The only reason I have to go through the process at all is because I manually turn off the iPod Touch when I exit the car for the day. I turn it off because while it will stay charged if I don't, I am not certain that it won't keep my CAN Bus active and discharge the car's main battery. I haven't wanted to experiment with my battery and all the headaches that brings if it goes dead.

2. If I just start the car and unlock the iPod Touch without activating MyTunes Pro, it acts just like a regular iPod. The one difference between the iPod Touch and the regular iPods is that my system does not completely shut the iPod Touch down when the ignition is turned off; it does turn an iPod off completely. Of course, the MyTunes Pro software only runs on an iPod Touch, not a regular iPod.

3. I use the Dension Gateway 500 for iPod connectivity, and it does charge the iPod or the iPod touch when in use. I believe the MB system does as well. However, just like the MB system, you must use a cable that is compatible with your iPod's charging system; older iPods (and possibly iPod Touches) use a different pin for charging than newer ones do.

Last, I have also used my iPhone 4 instead of the iPod touch. It works just the same way as the iPod Touch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hmmm...

I upgraded to IOS 6, and the MyTunes now won't let me select any SRS enhancements until I've started playing music. Once I've done that, it confuses the standard player controls (i.e. I get an incorrect display through the MB iPod connector.)
But that's OK, because as soon as I select a different track via the steering wheel buttons, the MyTunes gets overridden by the standard player, but that also disables the SRS enhancements!
Nuts.

KevinD

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am running iOS 6.0.1 on my iPhone and 6.0 on my iPod Touch, and I am not having this problem. Everything still works as described in Post #10.

Is your Gateway 500 firmware up to date? I am using v.222.

·
Registered
75 Posts
MyTunes Pro alternative app

Thought I'd mention that there is an alternative app to MyTunes Pro

I have both the MyTunes by SRS and SonicMax by BBE and have yet to decide if one sounds better than the other. Since I already spent hundreds on the Dension, I figured what's another $3.

BBE is actually quite well known in some circles, though probably not here. I remember coming across a BBE device more than a decade ago whilst hunting down a specialist LPF for a home made sub, and found a BBE unit that does more than just LPF

BBE Sonic Max

You have these adjustable options in SonicMax
Lo Contour - detail and warmth low freq
BBE Process - high freq detail / clarity
iSet - mid range sweet spot
Sound Field - sonic depth presence
Mach3 Bass - thump control
Mach3 Gain - punch control (I suspect the Mach3 is just bass EQ)

If you could be bothered spending another $3. Let me know your favorite settings.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks for pointing out BBE Sonic Max - I just downloaded it and will give it a try.

(Added Jan 22) I found BBE Sonic max to be more subtle in its effects than MyTunes pro. It may be more pleasing to the ears of some. However, with both Sonic Max and MyTunes Pro there are some frustrations. One must select them and start them up on the iPod Touch or iPhone before using; with MyTunes Pro, the delay is annoyingly long; less so with Sonic Max. Second, and after a time this got bothersome - one must turn the iPod Touch off each time one exits the car for a long time. It is in the design of the iPod Touch - it will not shut down when the audio system is shut down, as an iPod does.

I found some very good information on an alternative, however - see next post.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Perhaps The Best Approach - And You Already Have It

After wrestling with the frustrations of having to turn the iPod Touch off after leaving the car, and waiting for the music libraries to load when using the sound apps discussed above, I started checking for a simpler way. I found one - and the solution has been around for a while. I have made some modifications to the processes, but here they are:

1) Set up a custom EQ curve in iTunes; see A 'perfect' iTunes equalizer setting - Mac OS X Hints or read the steps below.

2) Then Load it into your iPod. iPod Custom EQ - Yes, it CAN be done!!! - note that the steps recommended here will overwrite one of your factory EQ settings on the iPod (and in iTunes) - so choose an EQ setting you don't use much!! You also might want to save the factory EQ your are replacing under a different name, so you can access it again.

Dension, which makes the Gateway 500 iPod unit that I have in my car, recommends leaving the iPod EQ settings "Off." Indeed, I had done so, because I had not found any of the standard presets to work out well in my W220.

The link in step 1 above contains one step I do not use: I do not check the "ON" button in the custom EQ setting. I record my music in a number of devices, and setting the button to "ON" would impose that EQ setting on all the devices. I would rather do so more selectively - so I leave that setting "Off" in iTunes, and turn it on in the iPod.

I changed the steps in the sequence in step 2 to select the new custom EQ setting after synchronizing the iPod, and also to provide a method of preserving the original EQ settings so you could restore them. In either case, hats off to the "anonymous" user who contributed the EQ settings, and to SierraHotel01 for the steps for transferring the custom EQ to the iPod. :thumbsup:

Step 1 in detail:

Open the equalizer, and from the pop-up menu, select "Make Preset." "Anonymous" called it "Perfect," (if not perfect, it is darned close), and set the following levels, from left to right (you can leave the Preamp slider alone):

db +3, +6, +9, +7, +6, +5, +7, +9, +11, +8 db

When you quit iTunes, the new EQ setting will be saved, and you can access it. Save it under whatever name you prefer.

The image below (a screen shot from my iTunes app) shows what it should look like when you're done. If you are going to use iTunes on your computer as a playback source for other devices, and want to apply the curve, check the "ON" box. However, checking the "on" box may apply the curve across the board to any other devices you copy your library to; I left it "Off."

Step 2 in detail (works for all iPods except the iPod Shuffle):

In iTunes, select Window->Equalizer (EQ window pops up).

- Select a standard EQ preset that you don't use (e.g., "Rock"). Save it under a different name (e.g., "Rock 2). You will be able to undo what follows and restore your original EQ settings if you don't like the results.

- Open the custom preset you created in step one.

- Then, type in a name for your custom EQ setting that is exactly the same as the factory preset name whose settings you plan to replace (e.g. Rock).

iTunes will come back and say: "A preset with this name already exists. Do you want to replace it?"

- CLICK YES! Note that when you do this you overwrite the factory EQ file.

- Sync your iPod.

- On your iPod, go to Settings / EQ, and select "Rock" (or whatever other factory preset file you overwrote). Note: depending on which generation it is, your iPod may have slightly different menu sequences - such as Settings / Playback / EQ.

- Your new custom EQ setting (with a factory EQ name) will now be operative on your iPod. The factory preset you re-named will not be available on the iPod (but it is available on your computer, in iTunes, and it can be reset to original configuration using the steps here).

Although I was skeptical about any EQ curve being "perfect," given all the variables (not the least of which is one's own ears), I will say I have had superb results with it in my W220 and its Bose system. I tried it on my "movie soundtracks" playlist with all kinds of music, and it did a great job - as it did on my Beethoven playlist. If it isn't great for you, it provides a good starting point, and you can change it.

I will probably stay with the iPod, using this EQ setting, given the convenience of not having to wait for apps to load the music library or having to shut it down every day.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
More apps for fine tuning

Oddly the custom EQ process does not work for me. I've been googling it and it does not seem to work for some.

I've been using the "Rock" preset for sometime as this seems to be the closest correction. Still far from perfect.

From Skylaws previous post, I embarked on an excercise to fine tune the EQ. If the custom EQ works for you (does not for me) then read on.

The publish presets are probably not valid for my set up where, my factory speakers were not Bose and I have also upgraded them to Focals. The best way I thought to do this was with the help of Pink Noise. Method very much like this app.

called SignalScope Pro EQ here
Except I do not recommend the app itself because it is expensive plus I am not certain if modified EQ settings will flow through the noise generated by the app (as opposed to song playback via Music). Another reason for me not using the app is that we are not using an external EQ and adjusting it on the fly like in the video.

A cheap way is to download a "song" via iTunes called Pink Noise. This is meant to generate a "roaring hissy" sound across the frequency spectrum at equal amplitude. There are quite a few out there at various lengths. I purchased 2 that sounded a little different, but they ended up being the same on the analyser.

I created a Playlist called "Pink Noise" where I added the 2 "songs" Pink Noise. You only need one and you could have more than one of the same song in the playlist so it ends up being in a loop without having to fiddle with repeat track.

I then play the "Pink Noise" and start a free app called
RTA Lite by Andrew Smith
Octave Lite should also work.
That is like a spectrum analyser and with the pink noise playing (select the pink noise playlist and sound then start app) at the same time, will show which band needs adjusting up/down, much like the youtube video.

I then took notes on which band needed adjusting. Then start creating the EQ as described by Skylaw. As importing the custom EQ does not work for me, I tried it via SRS and it was one of the best presets I have heard across my music so far.

The trouble is various "songs" have unequal EQ, so the EQ preset that may sound fine or even great for one song may be excessive/lacking on some bands for another. By having a flat as possbible EQ, is almost like having a studio monitor. If some band sound a little higher/lower, then that is how the sound engineer meant it to be.

Not be confused with the Flat setting on the Ipod EQ, because that Flat setting is actually not Flat, if you look at the Spectrum Analyser with Pink Noise playing.

After this, if you are keen, you could embark on frequency sweeps. Coupled with an SPL meter to help verify the output levels.

Here are some free Tone Generator apps that worked well and remarkably sophisticated.
FreqGen by William Ames
Tone Generator Ultra by Limelight Software
Soundcheck Tonegenerator by PianoJoe

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
6 Participants
lienderj
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing