Registered
97 SL500
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
I went through this so many times. If you didn't buy it yet, don't! Buy it from the dealer, it costs $190.

I bought two from eBay and had a local Lock Smith cut the keys. Now they only work at opening the door (manually). The remote feature would not work.

If I use them to start the car, the engine will start but immediately shut off with the "error searching" on the dash.

If I use the good (original) key to start the car, turn it off and immediately start it again using those keys, the car would start fine.

My dealer said they would be able to reprogram the keys for me but the last time I went there, I forgot the keys! I will be there again in 2 months.

Someone in this forum mentioned that you can program the keys up to year 1998 while others said you couldn't at all.

I ended up spending $130 for two keys and they are not yet working. So, save your headache, get a real one from dealer for $190 (as they quoted me).

·
Registered
2009 SL550 Silver Arrow Launch Edition, 2013 Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic
986 Posts
Remotes are programed to each individual car and are not interchangable. I've been through this process and found that dealer can order via your VIN number for about $146.00. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts