Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my friends G, (2000 G500) the shifter will not allow him to go down lower than drive. It will just physically not allow it. He says that since he owned it that the shift into lower gears was rough, but doable. Now it wont go at all. I have completely removed the box from the truck and with it sitting on the bench the same condition exists, so it's not the transmission or it's linkage. Any ideas. I hesitate to take the unit apart, but I will if I have to. Or should I not? Help us out. It's GWhizz's G were talking about.[:)]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
luv my Hummer - 5/2/2005 9:04 PM

On my friends G, (2000 G500) the shifter will not allow him to go down lower than drive. It will just physically not allow it. He says that since he owned it that the shift into lower gears was rough, but doable. Now it wont go at all. I have completely removed the box from the truck and with it sitting on the bench the same condition exists, so it's not the transmission or it's linkage. Any ideas. I hesitate to take the unit apart, but I will if I have to. Or should I not? Help us out. It's GWhizz's G were talking about.[:)]
Not sure which "box" is on your bench - the autobox, the shift mechanism from the console, ???

Right after I got my 2000 G500, I was recommended by Jason at Europa to "exercise" the shift points manually from D-4-3-2-1 on a regular basis; or it would stop going into the lower gears manually.

Since that is a Europa G500, I would recommend calling Jason and asking him for suggestions on the problem and solution. It seems he is aware of the potential for trouble there.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
DUTCH - 5/2/2005 8:21 PM
Not sure which "box" is on your bench - the autobox, the shift mechanism from the console, ???

Right after I got my 2000 G500, I was recommended by Jason at Europa to "exercise" the shift points manually from D-4-3-2-1 on a regular basis; or it would stop going into the lower gears manually.

Since that is a Europa G500, I would recommend calling Jason and asking him for suggestions on the problem and solution. It seems he is aware of the potential for trouble there.
Wow - Europa really screwed up that design or is MBUSA secretly to blame... [:D] [}:)] [;)]

Dutch's 1st question remains -
Do you have the entire trans out or the shifter mechanism?

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
I would guess he's referring to the module in the center console. My guess is also that this is a common part to several vehicles of similar vintage, and that decent benz shops have seen this before and would know a solution... though many would probably hide the fact so they can sell you a new one.

Don't worry mb230's i'm sure DC retained that special feature on the new ones when trying to access the tiptronic shifting! [;)] I don't know who's to blame, but the parts probably come from the same cost cut vendor that makes my fuel pump which died at about 40k miles.

Shifter runs good for me (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
DUTCH - 5/2/2005 9:21 PM

I was under the impression that shifting like that on a regular basis was not healthy.
I either start off in a lower gear, then work my way 2-3-D. or shift to the gear that I am in, in order to hold that gear.

Chuck

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
4-Speed Shifter

My shifter reads like the following:

GL
R
N
D
-> B

What does the "B" stand for?
I cannot put it into the "B" position, it can only be pushed and physically held into that position.
I thought that it meant "Brake", but it doesn't seem to do anything.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
maybe there is potatoe chips & coke glue in there?

But seriously, there could either be something limiting inside the box or it needs a little TLC. Box can be serviced, some parts can be replaced. Should be very easy. See below:

http://www.4x4abc.com/pdf/shifter.pdf

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
4x4abc - 5/3/2005 1:10 AM

maybe there is potatoe chips & coke glue in there?
Nope...
Perhaps my linkage is off. What does the "B" stand for?

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
braingears... do you have the aftermarket cup holders in there? On mine (it's a 5 speed) it reads D,then to the left for 4,then down for 3,2, then to the right and down for 1. If i don't rotate my cupholders out of the way (they're on a hinge) it only pushes over to the right but wont let me drop it down again and into 1st.

looks a little like this

4 < D
2 > *

Mine stops at the star until i get the cup holders out of the way.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Braingears - 5/3/2005 12:26 AM

DUTCH - 5/2/2005 9:21 PM

I was under the impression that shifting like that on a regular basis was not healthy.
Healthy or not, we had another 2000 G500 driver on the Treffen last Fall who was complaining that he couldn't get his transmission to manually downshift consistently while off road. He "exercised" it a bit on one of the trails, and it worked fine again after that.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Europa G500's

mb230s - 5/2/2005 11:27 PM

Wow - Europa really screwed up that design or is MBUSA secretly to blame... [:D] [}:)] [;)]
It could be either I suppose, but the design probably goes back to DCAG.

FWIW, the term "Europa G500" is a valid description. Europa International imported and sold the G500 as a Low Volume Manufacturer; and they changed the factory VIN's to reflect that status. Instead of starting with WDB, Europa VIN's start with WDBEG

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
RE: Europa G500's

DUTCH - 5/3/2005 6:04 AM

mb230s - 5/2/2005 11:27 PM

It could be either I suppose, but the design probably goes back to DCAG.

FWIW, the term "Europa G500" is a valid description. Europa International imported and sold the G500 as a Low Volume Manufacturer; and they changed the factory VIN's to reflect that status. Instead of starting with WDB, Europa VIN's start with WDBEG
Technically that description may be true on some slip of paper and an additional VIN slapped on the car. I think our friends in other parts of the world with 98/99/00 G500s would really appreciate the tip you mentioned b/c the same issue probably exists for them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
RE: 4-Speed Shifter

The B stand for "Bergab" or translated downhill; The gearbox will prevent shifting higher than 1st gear and it will prevent you to go too fast. You will brake on the engine. But I believe it will still be possible to overrev the engine.

Greetings from Belgium,
Frank

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
I was told when i was like 8 that "B" stood for Basement. But when your 8 you think everything is true.

what does " GL " mean Good lord? Ground level?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That PDF doc. should help me out. I have the shifter assembly out of the truck. I assume I just need to disassemble, inspect, clean, and repair. I don't want him to have to replace it. Thanks for the assistance. If I can't get it, I'll give Europa a call. Anyone got a number for them? The one in the glovebox is now some old lady who is quite obviously fed up with people calling looking for them. We called her like 5 times. It was funny as hell!

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,988 Posts
As has been stated above, something is jammed in the console shifter. You might try to contact JWMOL on this list. I think this happened to his too.

The design of the shift mechanism gate is such that it traps debris. Occasional rowing through all the gears (no need for the motor to be running) should keep the track clear.

If I have the 5 speed design correctly in mind, the positions below D only send an electrical signal to the transmission the mechanical transmission lever only moves for positions PRND.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
AlanMcR - 5/4/2005 11:56 PM

If I have the 5 speed design correctly in mind, the positions below D only send an electrical signal to the transmission the mechanical transmission lever only moves for positions PRND.
I think you're correct; and this was the reason behind Jason's recommendation to exercise it - to keep the contacts clean.

·
Registered
2005 G55k, 1999 G500, 2003 CLK 430 Conv
55 Posts
Searching really pays off! I now have exactly the same problem with my shifter. I'm hoping that someone here knows what the solution is, after nearly 3 years. Anyone?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts