Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560 sel
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my 560 sel has alot of problems ...

1. cold or warm start wont start with just turning the key its goes clickclickclick...... then a little start but its at like 150rpm and i have to press the gas to start it right

2 Rough idle it idles at 500 rpm but the whole car moves there is no diffrence in idle if i put it in park or drive but if i rev it up to 1000rpm it smooths out

3 engine feels lumpy along with the economy gage is constantly in red or right in the middle with just slight accleration ie: away from a light
and it is using alot of gas i have noticed these past 2 days

ON a side note it passed smog today in arizona and well below the numbers listed for federal approval but guys please give me a list of what it could be

I was thinkin maybe the timing chain is too slack and it thru the timeing off but im not a mechanic im more of a guy that will poor money into the mechanics hands

·
Registered
1982 280 se aut. ecc. - sold
1,607 Posts
Looks like you have a loose vacuumline and because of that the engine runs very lean!

gr J

·
Registered
1988 560 sel
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok and just to get ourselves on the right track the vacum lines are all of those colored rubber or vinyl tubes running around the manifold

·
Registered
1988 560 sel
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so how would i go about fixing this vacuum leak and also i seem to have a ps leak that leaves a nice puddle after i let it sit for a few hours

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,133 Posts
You need to do a search on this forum for "high idle", "rough idle", "vacuum leaks", or any such combination. This sort of problem is fairly common with high-mileage, deferred maintenance vehicles.

The power steering leak is probably the high pressure line. It has also been discussed with some frequency.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts