Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I managed to do a little headlight polishing on the E55. The lights were yellowed and cloudy so I hit them with 2000 grit wet/dry paper with soapy water and then followed up with Meguires plastix polish. After polishing, I followed a Meguires headlight sealer which is supposed to slow down the yellowing.

All of this was done by hand. let's see how long it lasts.

This is what they looked like before polishing.

The left main light was done first and you can see the difference when compared to the high beam light.

After both lights on the left were completed.

Both lights done

With the lights on.

It was pretty hot today so I did not get to work until after sundown. I'll check it out properly tomorrow but so far, it looks good.

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike

Thanks, I thought about going a little more aggressive and had my buffer handy, but I thought I would try this first as I can always take more off but I can't put any back.

I'm quite pleased with the results. The effort took about 1-1 1/2 hours max for all four lenses which is not bad.

I'm interested in how the sealer does.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I had mine done at a local detail shop and it didn't take too long for them to cloud up again. They didn't put any kind of sealer on them though.

Before, they looked much worse in person.

After

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'm researching UV coating. SEM makes a product in a spray can but it looks like a lot of masking will be required. There are some DIY blends that can be applied using a cloth that appear to work as well and are easier to apply.

Tests will come later. Also, love the black E55, I rarely see them in that color.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Thanks, I'm researching UV coating. SEM makes a product in a spray can but it looks like a lot of masking will be required. There are some DIY blends that can be applied using a cloth that appear to work as well and are easier to apply.

Tests will come later. Also, love the black E55, I rarely see them in that color.
Actually it's Tectite Grey, not black. Don't see too many of them around. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1973 450SL (98,000 miles) / 2012 E550 Coupe
7 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you like those projector lights jedmkd? I put new lenses on my E420 which has Xenon's and they look good even after 3 years.

I've seen these projector lights on ebay for not a lot and I think that they make a nice alternative if the headlights fail (the expensive bits like the igniters) provided that they have a good light pattern and do not throw headlight defective warnings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not bad for the price

The headlights I purchased were from ebay and you are right, not a lot of money. They are DEPO brand and cost under $300 including the HID upgrade.

I think they really update the look of the car as did the 17" Elbrus wheels I got from TireRack.com.

When I first got the lights, I had a bit of trouble getting them to adjust correctly. After contacting the supplier, we found that the adjustment screw had dislocated which required me to remove the headlight to reconnect the "knuckle" inside the housing. Once re-connected, the light was much more stable and created a fine light pattern. I will post a picture sometime of the light pattern at night.

I had done a lot of reading and research before purchasing the lights. I had concern that they might leak or not even fit. But, so far so good. The only complaint I have is that they do not "warm up" very quickly. That may be due to the lower quality ballast they included with the lights when I got the $80 HID upgrade. But once they warm up, they through a lot of light - at 6000k.

The supplier also suggested the clear side marker lights with "stealth" yellow bulbs. They are sliver coated bulbs that don't show yellow through the lens until they are switched on. Additionally, I added the crystal driving lights below, also DEPO brand. I think the overall effect is a nice update to my 189,000 mile car.

If you go to eBay, here is a product search string: DEPO 00-02 MERCEDES BENZ W210 E-CLASS EURO CLEAR PROJECTOR CHROME HEADLIGHTS (#120984898678)
The seller's eBay store is: http://stores.ebay.com/redcometm3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Depo Lights

Al,

Well, I pulled out the old Blackberry last night and snapped a couple pictures. The actual cut-line is much sharper than the picture shows and is actually fairly even. Although when I look at my pictures, it appears I may have some more tweeking to do with the alignment...

I any case, it really updates the overall look of the car. I purchased this car from a neighbor with 189k miles on it and I gave it to my son. I wanted him to be safe and with 10 airbags, I think he's good. Updating the wheels and headlights made this 12 yr old car look a little bit newer for him. And to be honest, I think it looks pretty cool! I know the purists wouldn't agree but that is why I have an original 1973 w107 450SL to keep them happy :)

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts