Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong, I love my 2000 E55. It kicks ass -plain and simple...BUT I'm always looking for a "little bit" more.

Not interested in supercharging. So with that in mind, is there anything out there that really delivers measurable (no BS) performance increases for this engine ?

Example - I'm surprised that this car has cheesy exhaust manifolds instead of full blown tuned headers - any available in the aftermarket ? What about chips - worth it ? THX

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Example - I'm surprised that this car has cheesy exhaust manifolds instead of full blown tuned headers - any available in the aftermarket?
Headers - don't believe the hype.

Ask someone who knows something about fluid dynamics and why headers aren't necessarily an improvement. You can get flow with a cast manifold, and you can get scavenging without equal length runners.

-s-

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doesn't really answer my question ...

but thanks just the same. Don't have any fluid dynamic engineers available, but can't remember the last race car I saw that had cast manifolds on them.

Same qustion - anybody out there done anyting short of supercharging that added some measureable kick to your E55 ?? Chips ? K+N filters ? etc... Thanks !

[;)][8D]

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: doesn't really answer my question ...

but thanks just the same. Don't have any fluid dynamic engineers available, but can't remember the last race car I saw that had cast manifolds on them.
that's because

1) it's cheaper to make tubular headers than cast manifolds in small amounts

2) tubular headers are a lot lighter, and even if #1 weren't true, the cost would be justified by the weight savings.

You have to look at the WHOLE picture when evaluating what you want to do with your car. I was just responding to your question specifically about horsepower!

-s-

·
Registered
W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
1,970 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love my 2000 E55. It kicks ass -plain and simple...BUT I'm always looking for a "little bit" more.

Not interested in supercharging. So with that in mind, is there anything out there that really delivers measurable (no BS) performance increases for this engine ?

Example - I'm surprised that this car has cheesy exhaust manifolds instead of full blown tuned headers - any available in the aftermarket ? What about chips - worth it ? THX
I Have the EVOSPORT power pullies and They do work..I Did a Dyno Before and a After the Pullies..Nice gain for Price...Software will give you a Gain of 12hp for $500.00...The Pullies were I Think $300.00
Same gain...They Work!I Can Feel the Gain!!

Evosport also has HEADERS,cams,With The DYNO Proof..
Please Contact EVOSPORT for prices and copies of the dyno charts...Good luck

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
now we're getting somewhere...

good suggestions Mark, I'll heck them out.

anybody else out there ???
[}:)]

·
Registered
C240 6-speed
16 Posts
HP for E55

RENNtech offers a lot of go-fast stuff for your car. There are ECU upgrades, carbon fiber airbox, sport mufflers, etc. without even getting into engine displacement or supercharger upgrades. I can provide more information if you'd like. I am a RENNtech distributor. Just post here and let me know if I can be of assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts