Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was looking through car lots, and I happened to run across this?

Mercedes E320

Anyone think it is a good buy? I have actually gone to see it in person. Interior is fair. Wire harness has been replaced. My only issue is that the engine is a bit loud. I own two 95 e420s and I am used to the engine being almost unnoticeable. (Sometimes I had to check to see if the car was still running. =p.) Is there a difference between how loud the engines should be? Would that make a problem?

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,384 Posts
A loud engine noise could be as simple as the clutch fan locking up and producing a roaring sound (as it should). Or worse, lifter noise . . . a sure sign of service neglect . . . or fuel system neglect (mainly when not using tier1 gasolines) resulting in bad injector patterns which would cause knocking/pinging

If you're feeling vibrations, start suspecting/replacing engine mounts, trans mount, flex discs, diff mounts.

The engine will also be louder if the hood insulation pad has deteriorated or missing altogether.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,710 Posts
Looks good on the picture, but buying 18 years old car with high mileage gas engine is not for everybody. If you have to ask, maybe you should not do it?

·
Registered
1987 300E, 1955 Plymouth Belvedere, 2005 Silverado 4x4
963 Posts
3 grand isn't a great deal, but the car looks good, if the big issues have been attended to ie. wiring harnesses. It's a plus that you are familiar with the marque and model. It could be a decent driver especially if you could whittle a few bucks off the asking price.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have plenty of experience with the w124s. I know how reliable they are, but my question was specifically with the engine loudness. It looks mechanically sound, its just, for some reason alot of the e320s here in Tennessee are having louder than normal engines (like your riding in a bmw). Most owners are saying that it was normal for this generation (then I turn on my car. shocks them a bit.) I just wanted to make sure that e320 engines weren't just naturally louder than their e420 counterparts.

There are no pings, shifts smoothly, I kinda like it as a first car for my sister. They are safe and reliable. Plus, it still turns head even though it is almost my age.. I'll go check what you said Sbaert. It looks well taken care of, but I would guess it is probably the gasoline. I can't tell you how many people I see putting regular gasoline into their premium only tanks. (Hell, I don't even put ethanol in my tank.) So that is probably it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts