Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
500 SEC 1982
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Hey everyone!

I've been quiet about the project for many months now so here is a small update:

Currently, the car is stored away in a garage for winter keeping. I did some new estimates on how much the project would cost me and the end result is that it will be much more expensive than i expected at first. I'm still fully commited to restoring this beautiful neglected car to it's former glory, but the project will only resume sometime in ~may of this year. That being said, i'll completely redo the interior of the car aswell, because the damp weather has ruined it. I suppose the trunk isn't sealed properly, water got in there and all the carpets and seats have a layer of mold on top of them. That's ok though, cause i don't even care what it will take to fix all of it, i'll just get it done. So then, i'll start updating this thread again around may for those of you who are interested in this tough journey.

Cheers dudes. :>

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,795 Posts
Water leaks are such a pain. Probably the rear footwells have filled up.

Its all really high quality so cleans up great, but I wouldn't leave any water in there, or mould on the upholstery. Good luck with her. Probably a car cover will help until you find the leak.

·
Registered
500 SEC 1982
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
The leak is from the hole where the antenna is located. At this point, i'm thinking of doing everything properly, like, restoring the car to its factory condition. In retrospect, i could have bought one thats already in excellent condition for less money than restoring this one, but then i would not have the same level of attachment to the car. After everything will be done, i don't think i'd ever want to part with it. That being said though, i would not want to restore another car in my lifetime. :D It is insanely time consuming and an absolute money pit and takes a lot of commitment + if i were to sell it when its done, i'd only get back a fragment of what was invested. The only thing that still drives me to finish it, is the pure love for this model. The condition that i'm aiming for now is a brand new car, all that's left now is to gather up some resources and finish it. :>

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
249 Posts
Sunny Florida just turned rainy. Good time to reflect. First, I had the same leak and discovered that the rear footwells were rubber with an drain that had been filled with flotsam. Pushed a screwdriver though it and it drained dry and worked fine until able to change the antenna leak.

Second, good luck on your great adventure. I have a daily driver and do not aspire to a show car or a like new. So far it works fine and aspires only to being sufficiently attractive to make the natives green with envy.

Third, I am reminded of Murphy's Law: If something can go wrong, it will. Or Murphy's corollary: Murphy was an optimist.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts