Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,248 Posts
You should try finding a local welder and ask him. However, knowing Fnland, i'd rather search for used chrome pieces on ebay or some junkyard, making new ones will cost a fortune.
Member Smafu.w126 aka Zoltan from Budapest did a rebuild on a higher level we probably aspire to, but few of us ever reach.
Thread:ZOLTAN'S W126 Project https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/2167049-zoltans-w126-project-post-here.html

The video's are still in the thread (if blocked click on blue youtube symbol, unfortunately like with most members who use second party picture hosting, every time they have updates, the pictures are usually gone from here.
It's one of my pet peeves, and I would really like to not see 2nd party pic hosting on benzworld, period. There are way too many threads that no longer make sense.
If someone knows how to use onlines waybackmachine.....?

·
Registered
61,958 Posts
It's one of my pet peeves, and I would really like to not see 2nd party pic hosting on benzworld, period. There are way too many threads that no longer make sense.

Convince the Canadians that hosting pics @800X600 went out with the Atari... :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Small update:

I ordered the leatherique cleaner & oil today. Hopefully it will make a huge difference to the dry leather on the seats.

I also received a couple of new parts over these last few days, mostly small cosmetic ones.

...... The thing that bothers me now is the rear window. It doesn't have any scratches but it appears foggy (i'll leave a pic to show you what i mean). I'll take a wild guess and say that it's unfixable, and a new rear glass is nowhere to be found. I have only seen used ones with the same issue and they cost around 400$.

Furthermore, i wonder whats underneath the window itself. I've seen horrors on the internet that the panels underneath could be badly rusted.

Plan of action also changed, within the next 1.5 months i'll fix the rust and fix all the technical and electrical issues aswell as get a new set of wheels. After that, im going to drag it to vehicle inspection to make it road legal, so i dont have to tow it to all the repair shops it needs, it will be able to get there itself.

Thats it for now, next update coming when i try out leatherique. :)

Attachments

·
SuperModerator
13,274 Posts
That fog on the bottom edge of the rear window is extremely common. It is because of moisture between the laminated layers apparently. In all the SEC's I've seen, it has not necessarily meant that there is rust beneath on the bodywork. However, it is best to be prepared for the worst, and I have seen lovely rust free exapmles with bad rust inder the rear window that can't be seen from outside the car.

There is a commonly available repair panel for the lip under the rear window.

Leatherique is awesome and is all I use, although the hotter the weather the better the effect. The interior of the car needs to be nice and hot, with plastic bags on the seats if possible.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Small update:

So i recently received the leatherique cleaner and i immediately went to test it out.

I applied the rejuvenator oil to the front seats and arm rest, until i formed a thick layer. I let it sit for 2 days and proceeded to clean it with Pristine clean.

Wow, this thing really works, the seats actually became a lot softer (not perfect yet, will probably have to apply another coat of rejuvenator). Also, they became a few tones lighter than before. This legit is a miracle product.

Now the bad news is, that after the procedure, all the seats are now so clean that i started noticing A LOT of imperfections. Small cracks around the stitching were revealed on both front seats. Will have to probably get that addressed at some interior workshop. I won't restitch all the seats in new leather, i'll try to save the original leather instead.

About the rims: i can't find a single set of BBS RS 16" rims. Either they cost some stupid money like 4000$ or the offset is too high. So i'll probably grab replicas for now until i can find a decent set of originals.

That's it for now, next update is about 2 weeks away. That's when all the bodywork will begin. :>

·
SuperModerator
13,274 Posts
Awesome stuff isn't it. Not cheap but best stuff I reckon.
Possibly painting the original leather is the way forward. Did mine recently and it's been OK so far.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,827 Posts
About the rims: i can't find a single set of BBS RS 16" rims. Either they cost some stupid money like 4000$ or the offset is too high. So i'll probably grab replicas for now until i can find a decent set of originals.

Maybe I got a bad bottle of that Leatherique, but I really prefer the Lexol products. I believe I’ve had better results with it.

I have a few sets of BBS 16”, and would certainly not be asking that much. I did do $2500 or this set, but it took me forever to get it to this condition.

I’ve also got 8x16 et11 bbs ra too, but only one set. I’ve got a lot of bbs rs 16” though. 8 sets I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Awesome stuff isn't it. Not cheap but best stuff I reckon.
Possibly painting the original leather is the way forward. Did mine recently and it's been OK so far.
Yes, nothing some putty and paint can't fix. I'll have to redo half of the interior anyway, so this isn't a biggie. :>

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Maybe I got a bad bottle of that Leatherique, but I really prefer the Lexol products. I believe I’ve had better results with it.

I have a few sets of BBS 16”, and would certainly not be asking that much. I did do $2500 or this set, but it took me forever to get it to this condition.

I’ve also got 8x16 et11 bbs ra too, but only one set. I’ve got a lot of bbs rs 16” though. 8 sets I believe.

i'll definitely keep in mind that you have the original set. What's the rim width by the way? Is it 8j?

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,827 Posts
i'll definitely keep in mind that you have the original set. What's the rim width by the way? Is it 8j?

I can make anything 16” really, having various MB faces and also lips ranging from 0.5” to 3.0” and also 4.5” for some silly widebody option. Barrels: 5-5-6.5 are really the only options that make sense, so that’s all I’ve collected. Stock setups include: 7x16 et24 (rs008), 7x16 et35 (rs098) 8x16 et24 (rs023), 8x16 et11 (rs009), 8x16 et21 (rs133), and 10x16 et11 (rs058), but I’ve got 2.5” lips to make effective rs078 9x16 et11, and can vary the offsets of anything by changing the barrel size. All the faces I have are the same except the curved rs098 (same as rs077) and rs133 (which have a spacer bolted to the back for 560sl caliper space).

·
Registered
61,958 Posts

Better than replicas...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/372653327580

https://www.ebay.de/itm/254305938189

https://www.ebay.de/itm/401829720846

https://www.ebay.de/itm/173982655363

https://www.ebay.de/itm/264345134295

https://www.ebay.de/itm/372679796902

https://www.ebay.de/itm/133041287161

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,827 Posts
So, here's what i found:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remotec-16-8-9-Mercedes-Wheels-alloy-5x112-Sec-126-114-129-107-114-124-123-140/173965477994?hash=item288126886a:g:oOwAAOSwrENdLICS

These seem to be of decent quality. The question now remains, will the rear wheel stick out of the arch? At first i wanted the rear rim to be 9J, but i'm not 100% sure it will fit properly.

It would be nice if they clarified whether the 8” or 9” have the offsets associated, but I think that we can assume the 8” will have the higher offset. I think that those are going to fit the car very nicely, and I like the way they look. However, I’d prefer the Rials, or the BBS RA, as I believe the Remotec wheels are less sought after, and even poo-poo’ed a little in a r107 wheeler dealer episode. They are period correct, but must not be highly respected.

I do like a few things about those wheels a lot though. Half the price is the cost of the refurb to get them to their current condition. That’s cheap for the condition they appear to be in.

I really like the offset in the 20’s for the front wheels. I think et11 pokes out too much in the front on a w126. The et14 rear is good. It could be lower, but that’s a good conservative setup. 9” rear is good. You may have a hard time finding 245/45/16 tires for the rear. They’ve gotten scarce. 225/50/16 for the front should be no problem. If you want as taller chunkier look, 245/50/16 and 225/55/16 should be no problem to find.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
It would be nice if they clarified whether the 8” or 9” have the offsets associated, but I think that we can assume the 8” will have the higher offset. I think that those are going to fit the car very nicely, and I like the way they look. However, I’d prefer the Rials, or the BBS RA, as I believe the Remotec wheels are less sought after, and even poo-poo’ed a little in a r107 wheeler dealer episode. They are period correct, but must not be highly respected.

I do like a few things about those wheels a lot though. Half the price is the cost of the refurb to get them to their current condition. That’s cheap for the condition they appear to be in.

I really like the offset in the 20’s for the front wheels. I think et11 pokes out too much in the front on a w126. The et14 rear is good. It could be lower, but that’s a good conservative setup. 9” rear is good. You may have a hard time finding 245/45/16 tires for the rear. They’ve gotten scarce. 225/50/16 for the front should be no problem. If you want as taller chunkier look, 245/50/16 and 225/55/16 should be no problem to find.

For sure, i'd like a set of BBS RS originals over these, but by my estimates the total cost of the restoration will be quite a bit north of 10k$ as it is. :D So, i will have to do some compromises here and there. I don't mind putting on taller tyres to get a more comfortable ride, i'm sure the overall look will still be absolutely peachy. :>

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,827 Posts
For sure, i'd like a set of BBS RS originals over these, but by my estimates the total cost of the restoration will be quite a bit north of 10k$ as it is. :D So, i will have to do some compromises here and there. I don't mind putting on taller tyres to get a more comfortable ride, i'm sure the overall look will still be absolutely peachy. :>

The last option presented in the list above warrants some investigation (due to discrepancy between pic and the 8x16 et11 stated). I also think this would be an option that would be equally respected as the remotec wheels... https://www.ebay.de/itm/4x-AMG-PENTA-DESIGN-SL-107-W123-W126-16x8-T-V-Teilegutachten/372679796902?pageci=0d206135-2b1c-463c-a829-d65957c99386

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,983 Posts
So, here's what i found:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remotec-16-8-9-Mercedes-Wheels-alloy-5x112-Sec-126-114-129-107-114-124-123-140/173965477994?hash=item288126886a:g:oOwAAOSwrENdLICS

These seem to be of decent quality. The question now remains, will the rear wheel stick out of the arch? At first i wanted the rear rim to be 9J, but i'm not 100% sure it will fit properly.
I see offsets of 23/14 on the eBay ad. For what it's worth, I have a set of Ronal R9s in 16x8 (pretty sure they're 8) with offset of 23. They fit fine on my SEL but I didn't like the steering feel of that offset. It was sluggish. I much prefer the ET11 of my Aero Is. I also didn't like the look of how far inboard they sat.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts