Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You should remove all the wheel arches -or whatever they're called- as they are not standard and hide rust. Also, those wheels have got to go, a nice set of Aeros, BBS, or Lorinsers would be period correct and improve the look/stance tremendously.

Welcome aboard mans draugs.

Alberto.
Thanks! For sure, the chrome arches will have to go, i really hate how they look. And yes, i will get BBS RS 16" 8J front and 9J rear wheels (At first wanted Lorinsers, but changed my mind). However, i'll leave that for last as i first have to sort the rust, engine, suspension, interior, paint and other tiny bits and bobs. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Like others, I too look forward to following your restoration and expect to learn from it as you progress and keep us informed. In fact, I have already seen that the rusted arch and jack points which I have, although not as bad as yours, can be welded. this is going to be fun.

Ian...is what you call the coin tray the pocket under the ashtray or is it somewhere else?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Like others, I too look forward to following your restoration and expect to learn from it as you progress and keep us informed. In fact, I have already seen that the rusted arch and jack points which I have, although not as bad as yours, can be welded. this is going to be fun.

Ian...is what you call the coin tray the pocked under the ashtray or is it somewhere else?
Great! One of the benefits of restoring cars in Latvia is that we have really good car experts and much cheaper labor costs than in the US. From what the welder said, the rust on my SEC is absolutely nothing compared to what he usually works on. :D And the job gets done everytime with supreme quality no matter what the damage is.

·
SuperModerator
13,273 Posts
Ian...is what you call the coin tray the pocket under the ashtray or is it somewhere else?
Stewpot, sorry, I meant the tray that runs on each side horizontally, on airbag equippped cars. I've only seen it on US cars, but possibly its just on cars that don't have a glovebox because they have the passenger airbag option.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well, thanks to Green T, Ian and mans draugs for clarifying about the coin tray. I use the pocket under the ashtray for coins. Now we can get back to the more important theme of this thread, the restoration.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Guys.... i bought a pair of the most expensive stickers i've ever seen.

The climate control wheel stickers were around 78$ for the pair. 78$!!! Just for a pair of stickers. I must admit though, they do have a quality feel to them.

Also besides the stickers, i'm looking around for a new exhaust system, the current one has expired after 37 years of service. Now, i don't want to put anything crazy on there, preferably something closer to stock. So i went around different forums and threads and came up with this - an Italian brand named Imasaf still makes exhaust systems for W126 and C126 for a reasonable price. From what other users say, it seems like its a solid exhaust that fits the car perfectly without doing any cutting or welding. The quality is decent too and the exhaust note is just a little bit more sporty than the factory one. Price for the whole exhaust system is 600$ including fittings. I'm seriously considering it at this price point, as the only alternative that i found is MEC design for 2k$+ and its insanely loud, my neighbours would hate me.

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
Guys.... i bought a pair of the most expensive stickers i've ever seen.

The climate control wheel stickers were around 78$ for the pair. 78$!!! Just for a pair of stickers. I must admit though, they do have a quality feel to them.

Also besides the stickers, i'm looking around for a new exhaust system, the current one has expired after 37 years of service. Now, i don't want to put anything crazy on there, preferably something closer to stock. So i went around different forums and threads and came up with this - an Italian brand named Imasaf still makes exhaust systems for W126 and C126 for a reasonable price. From what other users say, it seems like its a solid exhaust that fits the car perfectly without doing any cutting or welding. The quality is decent too and the exhaust note is just a little bit more sporty than the factory one. Price for the whole exhaust system is 600$ including fittings. I'm seriously considering it at this price point, as the only alternative that i found is MEC design for 2k$+ and its insanely loud, my neighbours would hate me.
Have you heard the MEC version(s) in person? On their site, they say the "Earthquake" version is particularly loud, and meant to be, and their "Daytona" is a little louder than stock--"a little bit more sporty than the factory one" I think would actually describe it well. Just wanted to see if by any chance you heard the quieter Daytona version in person, if it's louder than we might have otherwise thought.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Have you heard the MEC version(s) in person? On their site, they say the "Earthquake" version is particularly loud, and meant to be, and their "Daytona" is a little louder than stock--"a little bit more sporty than the factory one" I think would actually describe it well. Just wanted to see if by any chance you heard the quieter Daytona version in person, if it's louder than we might have otherwise thought.
Only heard it in a youtube vid.

It's just about as loud as the imasaf version, but the price is 3x higher. Once the car is finished, i'm only going to drive it from spring to fall and then store it in a garage for the winter. Don't want it to be killed by rust again due to the salt they pour on the roads. So in that sense, if the imasaf isn't as rust resistant, it will still be fine. :>

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I received the radio and the antenna today. Unfortunately, i can't connect the radio as i don't have the right cables for it. I'll need adapters from ISO to becker connectors, have no clue where to find those. Oh well, will have to keep on searching.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
ArtificialSource you do not happen to know who could fix rusted bumper crome pieces? Or maybe even make new ones out of stainless?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
ArtificialSource you do not happen to know who could fix rusted bumper crome pieces? Or maybe even make new ones out of stainless?
You should try finding a local welder and ask him. However, knowing Fnland, i'd rather search for used chrome pieces on ebay or some junkyard, making new ones will cost a fortune.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,248 Posts
Welcome to ya. Lovely colour car. US spec dashboard I think though?

Good luck with the restore. There's a rust thread in the archives that will show you other out of the way places that can rust.
Those jacking point holes are normal, haha. Easily fixed though.

They are built of strong stuff though, and where there's a will there's a way.
Speedometer is in Kmh
Ian, who was the Hungarian member with the big detailed (pics and videos) W126 restoration thread?

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,248 Posts
You should try finding a local welder and ask him. However, knowing Fnland, i'd rather search for used chrome pieces on ebay or some junkyard, making new ones will cost a fortune.
Henrik of eble engineering, Estonia might be able to point you in the right direction.
Some members had good experiences dealing with him, others not so. Google and make up your own mind.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts