Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
It started last week while driving. A smell of fuel emanating from underneath the car. I checked the engine area when I got home, not there. It seems to be coming from behind front passenger side. What I know, fuel filter is behind drivers side. Will a bad fuel filter do this? Car is at 110k and I have not change this nor the fuel pump yet. Please advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
It's probably worth checking the vapor recovery canister, located in the rear passenger wheelwell, there is a DIY with pics in the sticky. Check the hoses as well as the canister itself. Fuel vapors can be hard to nail down, I've yet to hear of a leak under the hood of the gas engine 210.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

I will do that once the car cools down. Probably tomorrow a.m. Will check the filter first coz the one by the wheel well is kinda cumbersome to do. I will need to rehearse. lol.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I will do that once the car cools down. Probably tomorrow a.m. Will check the filter first coz the one by the wheel well is kinda cumbersome to do. I will need to rehearse. lol.
I don't know, you have to jack it up either way. I'm always happier when I don't have to crawl underneath. :)

I was just thinking of the VR canister since it deals with vapors and they travel by their own will, or so it seems sometimes, and if it gets saturated it can cause different symptoms, including gas smell. Leaks are usually easier to locate and tend to stay more localized, and given the pressure in FI engines if it's downstream of the pump it is even easier to locate. :)

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know, you have to jack it up either way. I'm always happier when I don't have to crawl underneath.

I was just thinking of the VR canister since it deals with vapors and they travel by their own will, or so it seems sometimes, and if it gets saturated it can cause different symptoms, including gas smell. Leaks are usually easier to locate and tend to stay more localized, and given the pressure in FI engines if it's downstream of the pump it is even easier to locate.

Do you consider this dangerous ? Must I live it in the garage for a while until I have it fixed?

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Are you

in the habit of topping off the tank?
If so don't,just let it shut off at the first click.
Park it over some newspaper and locate the drip.Check the gasket in your fuel cap.
If you are not yet comfortable as a do it yourselfer,these guys are in your area,offer very fair prices and know their stuff.
The Workshop MB: Privacy
ohlord:bowdown:

if John is reading this we did his plugs at the seminar I taught last weekend for the cost of 12 ngk plugs,check out what a shop gets for a C320 $500with tax.Wow,that will make anyone into a diy'r

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ohlord,
I used to top off my previous cars but not the mb since I learned from here, that it's bad. I don't see any drippings but just an odor of fuel. Sometimes its there , sometimes a whole week goes and then it's there again. I will check it on the weekend and see where it's coming from.
I wish I was in Washington and attend one of your seminars.
Thanks !

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Ohlord,
I used to top off my previous cars but not the mb since I learned from here, that it's bad. I don't see any drippings but just an odor of fuel. Sometimes its there , sometimes a whole week goes and then it's there again. I will check it on the weekend and see where it's coming from.
I wish I was in Washington and attend one of your seminars.
Thanks !
If I were you based on those symptoms I'd be looking at the VR canister...and no, if it's not a serious leak you're probably fine to drive it. And if it's a serious leak leaving it in the garage where fumes can accumulate is not the best advice, either. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greg,
I believe, I would touch that , first thing Saturday and see what's going on behind it. As I have said in the other topic, I will have the car on stand plus the jacks. LOL. My fingers type the words that are not in my head sometimes. Cheers and thanks.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
My fingers type the words that are not in my head sometimes. Cheers and thanks.
LOL, just wait until you get older. :D Good luck with the filter and the canister, both are pretty easy, just road grime getting to them. Be sure to have the proper clamps for the fuel filter hose or it will get really smelly and expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts