Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560SL w/ 190k
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of reassembling my car and I found a vacuum line that I don't remember disconnecting. Maybe someone can help me with it. Its a dark brown plastic line that runs under the fuel distributor and throttle body. One side of it connects to the breather hose underneath the air cleaner but the other side....?

and here is where the end I can see connects:

Anyone have any idea?

Oh and one other question I have, I have never seen anything in this grommet on my car's air cleaner but what is its purpose, It looks like a direct hole into the intake past the filters.

Thanks

·
Registered
1984 500sl
655 Posts
I'm not sure about the vacuum hose. But, the grommet hole is access to the air /fuel adjustment screw. There is a hex screw at the bottom of the hole that allows you to adjust the rich/lean mixture on the fuel distributor. However, the 560sl may have an aluminum plug covering the screw. Word of caution, DON'T tinker with it !!!! It can be a nightmare, unless you have the proper diagnostic tools.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
The other side of the vacuum hose connects to the bottom of the pressure regulator mounted on the side of the fuel distributor. It isn't for vacuum, it's to safely route leaking gas if the diaphragm on the pressure regulator springs a leak, so it doesn't wind up all over the top of a hot engine.

·
Registered
1986 560SL w/ 190k
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I pulled the rest of that line out of the intake and found it to be broken in half anyways as it was old and brittle. Off to the dealership!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts