Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Spd 1987 190e-2.3
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting around to replacing my original Becker Grand Prix in my 1987 190e Euro, and I have a few questions.

Firstly, the radio I am replacing it with is the Blaupunkt Helsinki.

I've noticed many people bypassing the fader in the console, is this something that has to be done?

The antenna will work just like it does with the factory stereo, correct? (Goes up when in use, down when not) Will the antenna adjustment rocker above the air vents still be functional?

The original radio doesn't have a dimmer wire. I've done some research and it seems that I can connect the dimmer wire with any of the in-dash lights that are dimmed when I turn my lights on. One, is this true? Two, what would be the best place to hook that wire up?

Thanks,
Elliot

· Registered
81 500SEL, 84 300TDT, 86 + 87 190E 2.3, 91 + 92 300D 2.5T, 95 E320 Wagon, 09 C300 4MATIC
1,766 Posts
I've noticed many people bypassing the fader in the console, is this something that has to be done?
You should. It will only output on 2 channels instead of 4 channels if you do not do this, effectively halving your head-unit output. If it's a 2 channel head-unit then it's fine, but almost every head-unit is 4 channels these days.

The antenna will work just like it does with the factory stereo, correct? (Goes up when in use, down when not) Will the antenna adjustment rocker above the air vents still be functional?
Yes, and yes.

The original radio doesn't have a dimmer wire. I've done some research and it seems that I can connect the dimmer wire with any of the in-dash lights that are dimmed when I turn my lights on. One, is this true? Two, what would be the best place to hook that wire up?
The factory radio does have a dimmer wire. I have a North American market 190E and it's back there. I forget the color, but the Electronic Troubleshooting Manual which is available online has the information you need. The manual says it is a gray wire with a blue stripe. Page 112 in the ETM .pdf. You can find it at http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/11832/Resources/201Create/PDF/01002.pdf

· Registered
5 Spd 1987 190e-2.3
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not ashamed to say that when I saw you mention the Electronic Troubleshooting Manual, a rush shot through me. I thought to myself, "Is this the manual I have?!"
Surely enough

I found the page!
Is the part I've circled what you are referencing? GY/BU could be gray and blue.

· Registered
81 500SEL, 84 300TDT, 86 + 87 190E 2.3, 91 + 92 300D 2.5T, 95 E320 Wagon, 09 C300 4MATIC
1,766 Posts
Yes it is, and GY/BU is gray and blue, pretty positive on that. Where did you get a paper copy of the ETM? I'd like to get one as the electronic copy sucks.

· Registered
5 Spd 1987 190e-2.3
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it is, and GY/BU is gray and blue, pretty positive on that. Where did you get a paper copy of the ETM? I'd like to get one as the electronic copy sucks.
The man I purchased my car from was the second owner. He gave me that manual, as well as the service manual for 201 chassis/body and the manual for the 102 engine manual. I really lucked out.

· Registered
1987 190D Turbo
1,290 Posts
You should. It will only output on 2 channels instead of 4 channels if you do not do this, effectively halving your head-unit output. If it's a 2 channel head-unit then it's fine, but almost every head-unit is 4 channels these days.
Nothing lost. Just set the head unit fader to use just the front channels. The source will be two channels no matter what, the rears are derived. So unless the head unit has hall effects, the rears and fronts will just be splitting the same signal. It doesn't matter if the split is digital using the head unit, or analog using the fader.

The stock speakers really can't take much power, so a high watt amp is going to be wasted anyway.

· Registered
5 Spd 1987 190e-2.3
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing lost. Just set the head unit fader to use just the front channels. The source will be two channels no matter what, the rears are derived. So unless the head unit has hall effects, the rears and fronts will just be splitting the same signal. It doesn't matter if the split is digital using the head unit, or analog using the fader.

The stock speakers really can't take much power, so a high watt amp is going to be wasted anyway.
Can someone confirm this? This sounds easy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.