Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am returning a 98 740iL to BMW and after an excellent experianece with MB on a 2001 ML (sofar) and a lack of good bimmers out (for me) I am looking to replace the 740 with something smaller and sportier but I need everyday livibilty and an auto (NO M5 for me). My question to you guys is how do you find the E55 on a daily basis, is the suspension to stiff for city driving my daily commute is a 25 min (each way) jaunt on the LIE. How will this car hold up to NYC roads? and with the new E class coming out soon (my 7 is mine till june)should I go for a w210 E55 (as I understand the new AMG wont be out for a while) or a 211 E430 in the new body style? I find both bodies really beautiful (have only seen spys of the 211 but its looking good). Will a V8 be available for the 211 by june / july. When should I be talking to my dealer? I thougt about an S500 but I drove a friends and it feels even more yachty then the 740. Well I look fwd to this well-heeled groups advisement.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm in new orleans and would assume that the roads here are worse than on the LIE. I find the ride quite acceptable for city driving and most highway riding is very smooth. Some expansion strips get annoying over a long period of time. Certainly try to drive the car a bit and check the air pressure because occassionally the dealers pressures are way off. I drove one with 45 lbs. in all tires and it was really rocky; around 36 lbs maximum would be o.k.<br> Next, the car is really nice and a kick to play with either in drive alone or leaving it in various gears. Thetransmission, at times, doesn't always engage instantaneously, but then you find yourself hurtling forward. It's only occasionally.<br> The new ones are coming out probably in 2003 and maybe leasing for two years would be a good thing. There are a number of new things that sound good on the new ones beside 450 or so hp. If you look up Revving High, its another car news site, there's alot of stuff on the new e-series, within the last two days entries.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As the new W211 AMG won't be out until 2003, unless you want to become a beta tester, it wouldn't be wise to buy any first year production model. As the owner of a 2001, I happen to like the 'muscular' look of the W210 and am not at all impressed by the sleaker S and C Class lines on the W211.<br> <br> I would recommend getting any W210 now, or wait for 2003 for a non-AMG W211 or 2004 for an AMG version. FWIW, YMMV, etc...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to let you know, I test drove 740i's (mainly ones with the Sport option) extensively before picking my E55.<br> <br> 740i (Sport option) likes: suspension, steering, pickup, exterior design<br> <br> 740i (Sport option) dislikes: seats were like concrete (I actually got a back ache after driving the car for 10 minutes. My prior car was a sports car with stiff seats but the 740i Sport's seats were ridiculous), unusable cup holders in back, area in center console where the phone sits make console uncomfortable for resting arm on.<br> <br> E55 likes: very comfortable interior, engine power, suspension is a good compromise across all surfaces (should be OK in NYC or on the LIE), car is very smooth at all cruise speeds, can shift transmission manually (like 740i Sport), exterior design.<br> <br> E55 dislikes: Would like a tiny bit less body roll (not bad but not as good as the 740i Sport, but better than new Q45/LS430/GS430/740i), steering does not have as good on-center feel as 740i Sport, just decent (not great) stereo system.<br> <br> One other thing that the car magazines have criticized are the complexity of the controls for the radio system (I have the COMAND system which has the radio, CD and nav system integrated into one unit). After setting up your radio stations and CDs, the controls are no problem.<br> <br> I have never regretted getting the E55 over any of the other cars I tested.<br> <br> Feel free to email me if you have further questions.<br> <br> Thanks and good luck<br> <br> Mike V.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can swing it, get a '02 E55 for 2 years, then the W211 AMG E class. I have found that the E55 excels as a luxo cruiser, and it really kicks ass when you stomp on the gas. It's a stealthy car that doesn't draw a lot of attention on the road which is nice. The performance of the E55 will blind you to any of its' shortcomings. My first experience with a 4 door supercar was in a '98 Jag XJR that I rented on week in LA. I then test drove a used '99 E55 and liked it even more than the Jag. The dealer had one coming in in 2 weeks, and the price was the same as the used '99. I have however been in for repair 3 times with the E55 in the first year, all minor. If you go for the E55 you won't be sorry. Good luck.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mike v-I had a 740 sport before the e55 and my feellings about it waer exactly as yours. I hated the seats and even considered taking the back apart because I couldn't decompress the lumar support adequately, and the thigh support was also too hard. O.k., we be wimps. I also didn't like the transmission shifting , even in sport mode, but I did like the steering feel. The e55 I find a bit soft also, almost floating at higher speeds and am still wondering about doing a hr spring and bilstein sport shock change to it. It , the car, is overall, more satisfying than the 740 sport.And my wife can open the door when her side is facing uphill.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BMW.....

You say that you are 'returning a 98 740iL to BMW'. Why is that? You sound as if you haven't had a very positive experience...<br> <br> The E55 does well with British tarmac in terms of ride refinement, and they're quite possibly the most awful roads in existence - twisty, bumpy, badly maintained. There are a few crashes and bumps over potholes and raised manhole covers, but then with a stiffer suspension setup you have to sacrifice a little quality.<br> <br> Performance will blind you to the car's few faults (poor paint quality, poor quality leather, rain sensor from another planet).<br> <br> Jamie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts