Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1982 380 SEL Mercedes Benz
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question 1: What do I need to properly clean out a fuel tank?
Question 2: What liquids (oil,ATF, etc.) work best for the W126.
Question 3: What are the best replacement parts? The parts that came with the car like Bosch, or are there others that are better?

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
Please use the search feature of this forum for these basic questions.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
1. First , before you take the tank out(you may not have to.) drain the tank. Take out the sending unit.(48MM socket, 1/2 drive). To get to the sending unit, remove the rear seat and back, pop out the large round plastic cover on the top of the tank cover(metal part behind the seat back, driver's side) unplug the sending unit. Carefully loosen the sending unit and remove. It too may be a 48MM socket, be sure not to damage the gasket, or better yet have a new one ready to replace the old one.
Then look inside the tank with a flashlight to see what it looks like. It may not be bad enough to have to clean it.
You can remove the strainer from the bottom and clean that too. I think it is a 48MM socket also.
I have never had to clean a tank, so i don't know what to use as a cleaner.

What oils, tranny fluid, rear lube has been used in the past?

2. Rule of thumb I use is What has the PO's used first, then try what I want later. Case in point. One of my cars used Castrol 20-50 for 20 years, the next PO used Mobil 1 and had some leakage. I am using Valvoline 20-50 with no problems and am using Valvoline VR1 20-50 in one car as it has a higher Zinc content (our cars need that) of the oil. One car uses Chevron Delo 15-45 for the same high zinc reason. All three will be on either Valvoline VR1 20-50 or Chevron Delo 15-45 in the near future.
3. USE EOM PARTS either new or used.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. First , before you take the tank out(you may not have to.) drain the tank. Take out the sending unit.(48MM socket, 1/2 drive). To get to the sending unit, remove the rear seat and back, pop out the large round plastic cover on the top of the tank cover(metal part behind the seat back, driver's side) unplug the sending unit. Carefully loosen the sending unit and remove. It too may be a 48MM socket, be sure not to damage the gasket, or better yet have a new one ready to replace the old one.
Then look inside the tank with a flashlight to see what it looks like. It may not be bad enough to have to clean it.
You can remove the strainer from the bottom and clean that too. I think it is a 48MM socket also.
I have never had to clean a tank, so i don't know what to use as a cleaner.

What oils, tranny fluid, rear lube has been used in the past?

2. Rule of thumb I use is What has the PO's used first, then try what I want later. Case in point. One of my cars used Castrol 20-50 for 20 years, the next PO used Mobil 1 and had some leakage. I am using Valvoline 20-50 with no problems and am using Valvoline VR1 20-50 in one car as it has a higher Zinc content (our cars need that) of the oil. One car uses Chevron Delo 15-45 for the same high zinc reason. All three will be on either Valvoline VR1 20-50 or Chevron Delo 15-45 in the near future.
3. USE EOM PARTS either new or used.
Cool thanks man. That helps me a bunch. I'll look some more to see what it needs to clean the tank. And I'm sure it needs cleaning because we siphoned some gas and found what looked like dirt in it. I think that's why my filter and pump are so dirty and failing. Thanks again.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Do yourself and your dad a favor and drain tank and change the filter and maybe the pump if it hasn't been done so lately. Filters are good for 30,000 miles on clean tanks, who knows for dirty ones? When was the pump last changed? If not in the last 60,000 miles you're due. if neither have been changed since your family has owned the car, then you are due for sure. Filter anyway because of said dirt seen.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do yourself and your dad a favor and drain tank and change the filter and maybe the pump if it hasn't been done so lately. Filters are good for 30,000 miles on clean tanks, who knows for dirty ones? When was the pump last changed? If not in the last 60,000 miles you're due. if neither have been changed since your family has owned the car, then you are due for sure. Filter anyway because of said dirt seen.
Yeah I'm going to be replacing the pump and the filter probably by myself. The pump is actually only a couple of months old but the gunk in the tank and the filter has broken it. So tuesday I'm going to be doing all that lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts