Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1993 W140 500SEL Black/Black, 12014 Ford Fiesta ST Blk/Blk
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from MN on thursday, got to know this car quite well in that time, however there's a few things I'd like to remedy:

Front end shimmy from what I believe is the passenger front wheel, less intense at colder temps, felt through the steering wheel, shakes the passenger seat a bit. Between 45-70mph. Front dampers?

Rear lower strut bushings are done, need to find these parts quick, one is really bad, I'm dodging potholes and broken pavement in a W140, doesn't seem right. Struts are fine no creaking, car is smooth over dips and ripples, sharper recessed imperfections sound through.

Nasty Idle, put a can of STP fuel system treatment in as the car was not driven much by the previous owners, so far the idle is slightly better. Smooths out between 1000-2300, then wobbles again throughout the RPM range, at highway speeds a release of the throttle reduces the rough running a bit. I haven't floored it yet, the max RPM I have gone is 3.5-4k till I fiqure out whats wrong.

Between the shimmy and rough engine the driving is not up to W140 standards, at lower speeds the car is like ice on glass.

Car has 137k
-New wires, caps, plugs..
-Front tires are new rears are 70% or so.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
600 s
32 Posts
some things to check, wheel bearings,tyre & wheel balance, sway bar bushings, even wheel nuts, dont laugh it wouldnt be the first time.

Rough engine, fuel filter,air filters, go for the simple stuff first, sometimes its not as bad as you think.
good luck Mate

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Front end shimmy can often be caused by tyres flat spotting .. increase the pressure up to 60psi-4.2Bar.. then drive and after a day or so let them back down to the recomended pressure.. It costs nothing give it a try...

·
Registered
Green S Class s280 w140
13 Posts
I had the running checked out recently and found the left hand wheel bearing needed adjusting. Steering improved immediately.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the running checked out recently and found the left hand wheel bearing needed adjusting. Steering improved immediately.
Thanks folks I'll give both a try for the shimmy, I'll return with the results.

I swapped out the strut, no more noise from the rear, more soon..

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
Front end shimmy can often be caused by tyres flat spotting .. increase the pressure up to 60psi-4.2Bar.. then drive and after a day or so let them back down to the recomended pressure.. It costs nothing give it a try...
I suggest you be very careful with this advice. Many tires have a maximum pressure of around 52-55psi, and you absolutely DO NOT want to have a tire explode in your face.

Even at say 38-40psi, driving for a while will correct almost all flat spotting.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suggest you be very careful with this advice. Many tires have a maximum pressure of around 52-55psi, and you absolutely DO NOT want to have a tire explode in your face.

Even at say 38-40psi, driving for a while will correct almost all flat spotting.
Planning on 40psi MAX, for one the max rating on the tire and weight of the car.
Thanks for the advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts