Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks--

I am preparing to do a complete front brake job on my car, and I remembered this site, which is where I learned a heck of a lot about my car. I bought my 560SEL from this guy, and the quality of his work was one of the reasons I did so. It's a subscription site ($40/yr), but it will save you a heck of a lot of money in the future. Many topics, all with extensive pictures and explanations--even some humor to go with it. Definitely worth checking out.

Mercedes Repair

Dave

PS-- I'm not getting paid for this advertising, just to be clear!:thumbsup: I do know a good thing when I see it, though!

·
Registered
91' 560SEL, 03' BMW M3, 94' 500E
222 Posts
if anyone else can back this up, i think i may check it out. dont really see why it has to be subscription though...

·
Mercedes
9,039 Posts
Dave, I had no idea you bought the 560 from him. He has/had a great site.... at one point it was free but that was loooong ago. He used to post over at mercedesshop but later stopped for some reason.

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I was lucky enough to see his online ad about an hour after he posted it. I spent about an hour and a half with him going over and under the car (on his lift, no less) before even driving it!! The car that is (now) my 560 is featured in many of the topics he covered (timing chain replacement, brakes, etc.). I got a three-inch thick binder of records and receipts from him too-- I figured that his work and records were worth at least $1000, in peace of mind alone!!

He said he was getting a 560SEC to replace this one, but I haven't seen or heard much from him on this site or Mercedesshop since I got the car two and a half years ago.

As far as the cost, I definitely think he's earned a bit of profit-- the topics covered are thoroughly and professionally explained, and he clearly devote(d) a huge amount of time in providing the info. My guess is that he started it out with generosity in mind, but then the bandwidth costs started making it prohibitive to continue for free.

I'm signing up for another year, just to look at his brake rebuild again. It's better than getting a half hour of private tutoring with a mechanic, because you can look at it as many times as you like, and there's WAAAY more than a half-hour's worth of mechanical tutorials. If you're doing a lot of DIY on your car, this is definitely worth your $40. I did much of my A/C work with this tutorial's guidance, and just reading through a half dozen other topics gave me much more confidence in tinkering with the car. I give it a big :thumbsup:

Dave

Again, I'm not a paid representative...maybe I should be though:D

·
Registered
1991 350SDL
30 Posts
can anybody else vouch for this site? $40 to start plus $25 a year thereafter. LOTS of great free information out there already.....

doody

·
Registered
1984 300SD..... 305,000 miles and going strong! 2 1981 300SD's, 1985 300SD
13 Posts
Man, being a newby to my 84 300SD, I needed all the help I could get. I ordered A CD, Manuals off E-bay, looked at all the DIY stuff here and other sites.... I say spend the $40. :bowdown:
I've been downloading some of his DIY articles here at work, since I'm on a dialup at home.....it is excellent! I have no affiliation with him and will get no kickback, but if I've learned nothing more than how to do an oil change properly(Topsider sucking the oil out as oppsed to draining it and leaving 1/2 quart of dirty oil in the pan), this site is worth it. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Also the Tuning the Transmission piece gave me more info than I've gotten anywhere!!!!!

Do you, your car, and your piece of mind a favor and check it out....

Thanks Dave, I appreciate you giving us a heads up!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
82 500SEL, 97 S600, 88 300TE, 85 300SD, 84 380SE, 86 560SEL, 84 500SEL
64 Posts
I remember looking at the free site long ago and it was very well done. Lots of pics and detailed text, especially on the timing chain job. At $40 for the year that's a little more than 3 bucks a month, I would say go for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts