Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
So I recently bought a 1991 350sdl with 107k. Of course I found out about all the problems after I bought it. I drove it up from Florida to NYC and burned about 3/4 of a gallon of oil. I fear that I have the dreaded bent engine rod. What advice do you have for a novice? Can I do anything proactive with this engine? If I floor the car I also get some on and off hesitation as I continue to accelerate. I also get some hard shifting especially when in stop and go traffic on the highway. Any guess on what might be causing these things? I also can't get any heat to work on this bad dad. Knowing that I may have made the worst purchase of my life...where should I go from here?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Well, at this point I would recomend you take it to someone who Knows these cars. Are you in NYC right now?? I know a fellow out in Mineola who is VERY good w/ MB's. Drop me an email off list, [email protected] and I'll give you his info.

Jonathan

·
Registered
2016 E400 4Matic Sedan
610 Posts
pholzaep, I feel your pain because my purchase was very similar to yours.

Without know much of car, I purchased this 560 SEL pure on the appearance for a whole $5K. The very first minute after geeting out of it at my home, I realized the central locking did not work. From there on, it was just one problem after another. Today, just about one year later, I have sunk another $1900 into it for all parts and maintainance. On teh bright side, however, I saved about $3000 by doing a lot of work myself.

This is what I would do: 1 go to Ebay and get yourself a shop manual, a digital miltimeter, and a digital camera; 2 spend some time on this and other MB forums to learn as much as possible about your car. You will find steps to resolve each and every problem you have. For example, the lack of heat could be as simple as the mono valve. It costed me $19 and 30 minutes to R & R the mono valve.

If you love your car, fix it and if you don't, fix it and then sell it.

BTW, I am a mid age Ph. D, Chemist and started from learning how to change oil on this car.

·
Registered
1991 350SDL 2004 G500
528 Posts
Theres a separate fuse for the blower motor located in the back of the engine compartment make sure that you check that as well.

·
Registered
1986 560SEL, 1973 Buick Riviera
367 Posts
You might consider selling the car (bear in mind that you have to disclose all these problems to any potential buyer...).

W126s are great cars, but like any other Mercedes (or indeed, any other car) if they haven't been cared for properly they'll bite you in the ass. A 126 that hasn't been taken care of can be a real money pit. If you like the car and don't mind spending a lot (potentially a whole lot) of money to fix it, that's fine. But be aware of the fact that I'd be concerned of other issues if the engine is in that kind of shape, and like I said, the car could turn into a money vacuum.

Personally, if it were me, I'd have it inspected by a good mechanic that specializes in Mercedes or at least in German cars. If it's really bad, I'd sell it and look for one that has been cared for properly.

·
Registered
1983 300sd turbo/bio
26 Posts
Sound like the common headgasket problem. Factory installed headgaskets were "defective".What i have seen is at cylinder #1 coolant slowly seeps into cylinder and slowly over time, a gradual rod bend,then oil blowby occurs. I have seen many come in and get modified headgasket and 1 rod replaced and drove well.....but if you are not dedicated to sell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts