Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
There is a late 40's Chevrolet sedan delivery parked in a lot, as well as an RCA television ad on a building.

Late 40's, I think.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I need to go "downtown" more. I rarely do when I'm out there. Everyone tells me that Central LA has been going through something of a renaissance of late despite the reports it has become a "tent city." Now that you mention it, I think Los Feliz also has some of the old lights still installed once you get north of Franklin.

I am aware a lot of the downtown buildings are either being restored or re-purposed into "East Coast-ish" loft apartments. Also, that's where a lot of LA's "night life" has been relocated to. Clubs, restaurants etc. :thumbsup:
My wife had her office on 12th & Pico for more than 20 years. The times when you didn't want to get caught in downtown after dark are long gone.
Going S of Pico looked even rougher, the next big cross street Washington used to be the demarcation line to South Central. The longtime empty standing warehouses from Pico to Adams are full of businesses now, in what used to be a close to open war zone.
My son and daughter in law are quite active in L.A.'s historical society.

Restored to former glory, 4 of the downtown theaters are owned by an Iranian expat family.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/25/travel/downtown-los-angeles-la-movie-palaces-music.html

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Now I see where traffic backups come from.......You're going toooooooooo slow..all lanes are constantly passing you...:devil

A lot of forgetful iron in that early dash cam video..:thumbsup:

·
Moderately subtle
12,054 Posts
I am always amazed of the 'talent' of some to contort and screw up threads.
Thankfully, most of us appear to have outgrown those juvenile urges with adulthood.

The forum has enough otherwise good threads that became permanently locked down for that very reason.
Cheers
I've made a pass and cleaned up some of the dribble about each other and collateral posts about those posts. I probably did it wrong since there's so much of it. Dave's posts about the late 40's vehicles in the video should have been the end of that, but "letting it go" seems to be hard.

No more.

·
39,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I've made a pass and cleaned up some of the dribble about each other and collateral posts about those posts. I probably did it wrong since there's so much of it. Dave's posts about the late 40's vehicles in the video should have been the end of that, but "letting it go" seems to be hard.

No more.
Hi Ed, we probably did the same thing simultaneously. Except I prefer to make the superfluous posts disappear from the thread with a move to garbage :grin

·
Registered
9,077 Posts
^ Could be worse, a famous trio from Texas once recorded a song called "Heaven, Hell or Houston".

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
^^ No helmet, no protective gear, no nothing but a pair of pants, some goggles and what looks like a pair of gym shoes.

A blown engine would've sliced him up like a Cuisinart.....but DAMN! That looks like fun! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
^^ No helmet, no protective gear, no nothing .................

A blown engine would've sliced him up like a Cuisinart.....but DAMN! That looks like fun! :thumbsup:...............

Helmets were certainly not in vogue back then and naturally no seat belts either.(this pic from 56)...and the doors would easily fly open at any time......and the hill climbs came up very quickly........

Rules were about to step in though.......

Attachments

·
39,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
This is what I remember LA looking like during my childhood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjcSF-FEOu4

I used to frequently travel on the 110 N from San Pedro through downtown in heavy rush hour traffic. Least painful was to cross under the 10 bridge and merge on the right into the 10 exit traffic and into the downtown exits 2 lanes, take the 3rd St exit and bridge, traffic goes only one way to the other side of the 110, cross to the the far right lane, and go the first right = N (parallel to 110) S Beaudry Ave. turn left on first cross street W 2nd St which turns into Glendale Blvd, pass the tennis courts and under the 101 bridge,
immediate right onto Bellevue Ave (you are looking at Echo Park lake) followed by another right at the traffic light onto the first 101 N entry. The 101 N is usually still moving.
Sounds complicated, but avoids the worst part of downtown peak congestion. The dash from far left to far right line on the one way 3rd St bridge may not be for the faint of heart, but not as risky as it looks. Cars usually let you cross. Turn signals! :grin

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
What a Fantastic time to be alive.
That music...dunno..it brings back memories .

Looking back, altho still very young at that time..the feeling I had was that I was going to live forever.

Then 71-72 came around..Pink Floyd..'Time'..."The sun is the same in a relative way..but your're older. Shorter of breath..and one day closer to death"...
:smile

21 - 35 of 35 Posts