Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
16,392 Posts
That was great. Rent a car from $2.50 a day lol.

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
61,970 Posts
At 1080p the quality is amazing.

The thing that struck me was the number of idle men just hanging out in the streets. This most likely was filmed at the tail end of the depression but just before the war.

IMO.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Talk about floating down memory lane..for a few minutes.. Seems like such a quieter time indeed..."if" taken just after the war that is..

That "top down coupe" at the crest of the hill ..was great for me..Can anyone here ID it for us ?

Such a beautiful piece of music to float through that video with......

The Blue Danube waltz by the Austrian composer Johann Strauss II, composed in 1866.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Amazing how they could find that many old cars, pickups, trucks, buses to place on the streets to film this, hell even the parking lot and car sales lots are full of them.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talk about floating down memory lane..for a few minutes.. Seems like such a quieter time indeed..."if" taken just after the war that is..

That "top down coupe" at the crest of the hill ..was great for me..Can anyone here ID it for us ?

Such a beautiful piece of music to float through that video with......

The Blue Danube waltz by the Austrian composer Johann Strauss II, composed in 1866.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDaJ7rFg66A
As part of my family trying to raise a mini gentleman, I attended dance school and that was a standard waltz.

Ha, ever since spending time with family friends in Schwaz, Tyrol, Austria, I have developed a taste for zither music (Anton Karas, 'the third man' tune, but don't tell anyone.
There is also an old Hungarian/Russian tune Ochi Chernye (dark eyes), Louis Armstrong recorded a version, and of course 'Kalinka.'
No one does melancholy as well as Russian's, nevermind that famed Russian 4 1/2 octave singer Ivan Rebroff was born Hans-Rolf Rippert in Berlin :grin

·
39,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am always amazed of the 'talent' of some to contort and screw up threads.
Thankfully, most of us appear to have outgrown those juvenile urges with adulthood.

The forum has enough otherwise good threads that became permanently locked down for that very reason.
Cheers

Attachments

·
39,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"$32 PAINTS ANY CAR..." Somewhere around 4:40.

I love the old street lights. Wish LA still had them.

https://www.scpr.org/programs/offramp/2016/06/10/49593/there-s-a-hidden-museum-of-streetlights-in-los-ang/
Actually, I think parts of Hollywood Blvd and Cahuenga still have the old street lights, old town Pasadena, North Hollywood on Magnolia outside what used to be Sitton's ,Huntington Park has some along the main drag, and downtown L.A. as well. A friend had a little recording studio next to the 5 Fwy, and I would see the lights when driving the old 1th St bridge.
Broadway, downtown L.A. 2017

Next to L.A.'s Art museum is a large permanent installation of the old lights, called 'urban light.'

Attachments

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Actually, I think parts of Hollywood Blvd and Cahuenga still have the old street lights, old town Pasadena, North Hollywood on Magnolia outside what used to be Sitton's ,Huntington Park has some along the main drag, and downtown L.A. as well. A friend had a little recording studio next to the 5 Fwy, and I would see the lights when driving the old 1th St bridge.
Broadway, downtown L.A. 2017

Next to L.A.'s Art museum is a large permanent installation of the old lights, called 'urban light.'
I need to go "downtown" more. I rarely do when I'm out there. Everyone tells me that Central LA has been going through something of a renaissance of late despite the reports it has become a "tent city." Now that you mention it, I think Los Feliz also has some of the old lights still installed once you get north of Franklin.

I am aware a lot of the downtown buildings are either being restored or re-purposed into "East Coast-ish" loft apartments. Also, that's where a lot of LA's "night life" has been relocated to. Clubs, restaurants etc. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts