Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
W210 E420/E50 AMG '97, BMW 116d 2012
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heres the thing. I swapped my interior from walnut to birds eye and bought a new central console wood trim from MB. They now only make them with all wholes drilled. Hence I have two unused wholes.

First of all for a long time I have wanted to have footwell led lighting that can be turned on and off independently of the other interior lights. I want two independent circuits for front and rear foot well led lighting.

Secondly, and this is the whole point of the post, I want the installation to look completely OEM. I find the w210 interior way too well thought out to be messing that up with some random switces here and there.

So since I have two open switch holes in my brand new OEM central console wood trim, I will use two OEM switces (ASR, ESP, TAXI etc) to control the two foot well circuits.

The w210 switces such as esp off, asr off, etc work as canbus switches. They are not simple on/off switches as such. So I need to tap into the canbus, but I am not familiar with this.

Can anyone give me a heads up on the wiring? My E420 is pre facelift so it has no circuits for foot well lights.

Thanks, will post a DIY once I have it figured out if anyone´s interested.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Before someone offers a permanent wiring solution, place one small LED flashlight in every door pocket for now.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,690 Posts
Had the experience in 2 of my pickups, that too many switches is not a good thing.
Ford put door switches on the internal part of the locks, so to get there you have to pull door covers off. Than there is dash switch with for courtesy light and the switches are connected by weak relay. Bottom line -those things keep failing and I have the system on both of my trucks disconnected and flip switch installed on dashboard.
I like the idea about battery powered LED lights. They sell those in US for closet application as push on dome and with LED power saving the battery last for years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
really noone?!

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
I'd generally fix the problem at its root.
If the lipstick sticks keep getting lost, the solution is in finding a way to keep the sticks from dropping, not in adding a foot well light to light up the dark to search for the stick.
In a bigger problem, I would not add light in the backyard to help search for my puppy that kept escaping into the dark at night. I'd leash the pet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you for the interesting and colorful albeit irrelevant input. I cant help but imagine how much more accessible the immense knowledge available on this forum would be, if people who had no motivation to contribute to the challange at hand, would move on to the next thread. Sorry, know I am a newbie in this forum, but hey, I guess we all need a reminder now and then.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Don't take it personal, the guys just like to joke around sometimes. :D

I don't think you' find a way to tap into the CAN bus without building a lot of electronic circuits. The CAN bus just carries a switching signal that can be used by an intelligent recipient. The easiest way around this dilemma may be to find complimentary mechanical switches and use those. As far as I can remember, MB did not really change the external design of the switches much over time, so you may be able to use switches from the previous generation of Benzes. Don't only look at older E class switches, also look at the 190, S-class, etc. or even non-MB switches.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,690 Posts
Thank you for the interesting and colorful albeit irrelevant input. I cant help but imagine how much more accessible the immense knowledge available on this forum would be, if people who had no motivation to contribute to the challange at hand, would move on to the next thread. Sorry, know I am a newbie in this forum, but hey, I guess we all need a reminder now and then.
But think about it this way >>> would somebody in the past not challenged the sled, we might never have wheels invented :D
Good luck on solving your light problems.

·
Registered
2001 E430
195 Posts
Don't take it personal, the guys just like to joke around sometimes. :D

I don't think you' find a way to tap into the CAN bus without building a lot of electronic circuits. The CAN bus just carries a switching signal that can be used by an intelligent recipient. The easiest way around this dilemma may be to find complimentary mechanical switches and use those. As far as I can remember, MB did not really change the external design of the switches much over time, so you may be able to use switches from the previous generation of Benzes. Don't only look at older E class switches, also look at the 190, S-class, etc. or even non-MB switches.

Another solution is to turn the canbus switches into regular switches by gutting them out, installing a new switch inside them, and keeping the original shell for an OEM look. Martincyborg has stated to me that he does not want to go this route but I figured I'd add a link of some pics of how I did it in case anyone else is interested in a similar project.

Newest mod...Teaser pics - MBWorld.org Forums

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,105 Posts
on the back of some 210s, along the bottom edge of the seat back, you will
find a light fixture already. i beleve the use the same bullet bulbs as the ones
in the doors. i havent spent the time trying to hook these up, as I was more
interested in using electroluminescent cold light cable (or ribbon) for a softer
glow. this EL light was something i was going to try for both front and rear
foot areas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem solved! I found that the Taxi w210 switches are in fact non-canbus. I now have my foot well and door pocket light in order and I plugged them onto the instrument light circuit, so the dimming buttons also work!! :) cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts