Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
E300TD Elegance Saloon 1998
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to replace the Cabin filter for years by now. The one I bought car with has really thick layer of very fine carbon powder. I have tried buying activated carbon filters from various suppliers with the most recent being Hengst. The carbon content of them all has been a joke. Like course grains with gaps in between and quite a thin layer. So despite trying to replace I am still with the old filter.

Is there a brand that really offers a tick layer of fine activated carbon and not just a token gesture of carbon?

The one I bought - Hengst according to the picture seems to offer a thick layer of carbon - which is not the case: Hengst Mercedes-Benz | Euro Car Parts UK?s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

They also have Bosch but according to picture it does not have a thick ayer of carbon
Bosch Mercedes-Benz | Euro Car Parts UK?s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,331 Posts
I have been trying to replace the Cabin filter for years by now. The one I bought car with has really thick layer of very fine carbon powder. I have tried buying activated carbon filters from various suppliers with the most recent being Hengst. The carbon content of them all has been a joke. Like course grains with gaps in between and quite a thin layer. So despite trying to replace I am still with the old filter.

Is there a brand that really offers a tick layer of fine activated carbon and not just a token gesture of carbon?

The one I bought - Hengst according to the picture seems to offer a thick layer of carbon - which is not the case: Hengst Mercedes-Benz | Euro Car Parts UK?s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

They also have Bosch but according to picture it does not have a thick ayer of carbon
Bosch Mercedes-Benz | Euro Car Parts UK?s No.1 Car Parts Retailer
The filters from the dealer are now also pleated and not at all like the old ones. Here is one I bought and installed recently

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1644749-replace-dust-filter-4.html#post5306911

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1345759-cabin-filter-tips-9.html#post5273841

·
Registered
E300TD Elegance Saloon 1998
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Well, even though pleated, the thickness still looks decent on your link. Mine old was also pleated - however contained a decent layer 2-3mm of very fine powder. All the new ones I have seen contain a layer of very coarse powder with gaps between the grains of carbon powder.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,331 Posts
Well, even though pleated, the thickness still looks decent on your link. Mine old was also pleated - however contained a decent layer 2-3mm of very fine powder. All the new ones I have seen contain a layer of very coarse powder with gaps between the grains of carbon powder.
Well, you can do as I did - buy the Genuine filter from MB or a discounter that sells OE filters. Mine cost $75 (for two) - Not bad every 10 years or so :)

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
I bought mine for like $19 on Amazon (we had a thread running at the time).
The picture on the site did show fully packed filter, while the one I got is just a carbon filled mat folded into filter body. I was thinking about returning it, (Amazon has excellent returns) but other member posted that those filters have likely more active charcoal than the old one, what might make it actually better than heavier filters with less efficient fill.
The filter is not critical for us and I checked the old one to be original, 12 years old, so $19 is good deal for me.
The truth is that we have no way to test the efficiency.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts