Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SL600
11 Posts
The Seicane unit appears to have a much smaller screen that what I installed. I also never saw a picture of it displaying Apple CarPlay. With all the options you have to buy with it, it is $800 versus the $450 I spent. I also avoided the head units which had no buttons as I really wanted at least a volume control button and a front facing USB port to keep the phone charged.

·
Registered
'85 380SL, '99 SL500, '03 SL500, '91 Alfa Spider, '06 Porsche 911 C2S
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
This is awesome.. Thank you! I just bought the Seicane unit for my 2004 SL500. and I have this decoder as well. My only question is did you just plug the left and right in to the Front L&R from the head unit?

Well, ok another question, How did you disconnect the factory phone? That is not covered in their instructions so I am happy to learn from your experience getting this to work.
Sorry for the delayed reply - yes, the left and right in go to the front L&R from the head unit.

For the phone: you need to remove it from the fibre loop. The phone module is behind the Center Compartment between the two rear storage compartments. In my car I believe that there were two systems under there, the phone and the SOS. I disconnected both from the loop, so my loop is only the head unit and amplifier (this takes away any possibility of systems interfering with the d2b wake up).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello All, Newbie here. This thread is encouraging. Honestly, a stereo install on my wife's 03' ML500 has me intimidated. But, she misses her Pioneer with CarPlay. Can anyone confirm that this D2B converter unit will work with the ML Class? I do see it on the sticker. But a testimonial would be comforting.

Lot's of info here. Anyone got a "shopping list" for this project? I want to try and make sure I have everything. Especially items shipped from China or from the Mercedes dealer.

Excited to find this thread. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
2005 ML350 Special Edition
10 Posts
Hello All, Newbie here. This thread is encouraging. Honestly, a stereo install on my wife's 03' ML500 has me intimidated. But, she misses her Pioneer with CarPlay. Can anyone confirm that this D2B converter unit will work with the ML Class? I do see it on the sticker. But a testimonial would be comforting.

Lot's of info here. Anyone got a "shopping list" for this project? I want to try and make sure I have everything. Especially items shipped from China or from the Mercedes dealer.

Excited to find this thread. Thanks in advance for any input.
Hi - I am working on this now - 2005 ML350 - Almost done, but I can’t figure out which wire to use for the D2B wake up as our cars have a different wiring harness from this post.

Follow / comment over at Keeping the Bose Amp with a new head unit - New product...

·
Registered
2004 SL600
11 Posts
Hello All, Newbie here....
The most critical item is the Seicane D2B converter which is still only available for shipping from China. Use this link to the Official Seicane site where it cost me $137 with expedited shipping which still took 3 weeks:

FYI - I ordered a 2nd one from another AliExpress vendor who promised quicker shipping but it was a ripoff as it took over 4 weeks after I paid $45 for fast shipping. So order either directly from Seicane or from their AliExpress page.

You may not need the MB fiber optic connectors; my car had several of them in the loop going to the phone and voice control modules which I of course removed.
Depending upon which Head Unit you get, you may need this antenna adapter:

Reactions: Ewaynerock

·
Registered
7 Posts
"Hi - I am working on this now - 2005 ML350 - Almost done, but I can’t figure out which wire to use for the D2B wake up as our cars have a different wiring harness from this post."

Can the "wake up" wire be attached to any "switched power" wire?

·
Registered
2005 ML350 Special Edition
10 Posts
"Hi - I am working on this now - 2005 ML350 - Almost done, but I can’t figure out which wire to use for the D2B wake up as our cars have a different wiring harness from this post."

Can the "wake up" wire be attached to any "switched power" wire?
I tried Pink #4 on the C connector- i got a clicking from the amp, but no audio. That was a 5-6v line. I tried a 12v connection and that didnt work either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried Pink #4 on the C connector- i got a clicking from the amp, but no audio. That was a 5-6v line. I tried a 12v connection and that didnt work either.
Thanks for that. I saw that on the other thread. It sounds to me like you are on the right track.!?

Pardon my rudimentary understanding. Could it be another issue? Others have talked about closing off the fiber optic loop? Could it be something like that? If the amp clicks, something is "triggering". Right?

I so want you to win on this. Good luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
If you got clicking from the amp, that’s the wake wire. I had this issue initially too, the problem was that the amp was being “woken” up but other hardware in the loop was causing the no audio issue. Once I removed everything else from the loop the audio worked perfectly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sooo.

bypassed the Telehelp module and CD changer with the Mercedes FO connectors discussed here. Wired it up with my the Seicane adapter and Pioneer AVH-1300NEX. Worked perfectly for 15 minutes. Then it started making a popping sound and cutting out. It would come back and then pop again.

Disappointing to say the least.

Any Thoughts or advice???

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Sooo.

bypassed the Telehelp module and CD changer with the Mercedes FO connectors discussed here. Wired it up with my the Seicane adapter and Pioneer AVH-1300NEX. Worked perfectly for 15 minutes. Then it started making a popping sound and cutting out. It would come back and then pop again.

Disappointing to say the least.

Any Thoughts or advice???
Sounds like something in the loop isn’t connected properly or one of the fibre ends is broken. I had this issue and it turned out to be a loose end on one of the fibre cables. I ended up just deleting that cable from the loop (luckily it was short and redundant).

I did have an issue about a month ago where I completely lost sound (and the amp just clicked over and over, never waking up), turned out it was a dead d2b converter box. They sent me a replacement and it has worked perfectly ever since.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@Lawrencefitzsimon Thanks for the quick response today. It was pretty helpful.

So after a bit more troubleshooting….

I double checked all the optic connections. They are all good.

I read in another thread to try resetting the system. I pulled the fuse for the sound system for 15 minutes. Reinstalled it and now it works better. The audio is flawless. It makes me think the original optic system is fine.

But, it still takes a very long time for the audio to start. Sometimes as much as 3-4 minutes. I can hear it clicking throughout this time.

Some thoughts I’m having…..

What should the blink generated from the Seicane adapter look like? It seemed to come on solid, then blink.

Currently the Seicane shares its power supply with the pioneer HU. Would isolating this somehow help?

·
Registered
7 Posts
After about a week, I would say the unit is functioning. Sounds great. Sometimes it still takes as much as 5 minutes for the audio to come through. I want to simplify the fiber optic loop.

If I bought a single d2b cable, could I just connect it to the amp and the seicane unit? Wouldn't that be the best way to simplify the "loop"?

Does anyone have a Mercedes part number for a D2B cable? 4 feet should be long enough.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To anyone interested a CarPlay retrofit, I spent a lot of time researching the different models, and I would highly recommend the carlinkit version. The carlinkit is about $200 cheaper than the othe version.

·
Registered
2004 SL600
11 Posts
To anyone interested a CarPlay retrofit, I spent a lot of time researching the different models, and I would highly recommend the carlinkit version. The carlinkit is about $200 cheaper than the othe version.
That is not a CarPlay unit, it is only a device for converting an existing "wired" CarPlay unit into "wireless" CarPlay.
For example, my 2018 Pacifica has factory "wired" CarPlay; if I plugged that in (and presumably kept it plugged in) my phone would wirelessly connect to the factory CarPlay. Personally if I'm going to put up with something plugged into the USB of my HeadUnit, I prefer to just plug the phone in; that will keep it charged too.

·
Registered
2005 SL 500 R230
49 Posts
Would it not be simpler, and better, to wire the new head unit directly to the existing speakers and bypass the optically-controlled amplifiers?

You might need to install some passive crossovers OR get an additional multi channel amplifier with built-in low level active crossovers to feed the various speakers around the car.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
23,538 Posts
That can be done. You'd have to run new analog wiring from the dash to the rear of the car where the amp is located, then disconnect the wiring from the amp and tap into those analog lines feeding the speakers.

·
Registered
2004 SL600
11 Posts
I think that wiring directly to the existing speakers would involve even more disassembly of the interior than using the existing optical amp. I had considered running multi-speaker wiring from the head unit to the area of the optical amp and splicing into the speaker wires there, but I could not find the electrical diagram for the amp connectors to do this.
Am I correct that the SL cars don't have rear speakers? If true, there is no need to have front/rear fader control.

·
Registered
249 Posts
No rear speakers in either of my cars.
My 500 has an aftermarket Kenwood and the previous owner added triangle shaped tweeters on top of the door edge inside from the door mirror mounts. They blend right in and almost look like they came from Mercedes.
My 600 has the stock Command unit.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts