Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
'85 380SL, '99 SL500, '03 SL500, '91 Alfa Spider, '06 Porsche 911 C2S
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are countless head unit install threads, but given that it seems to be completely new I figured this deserved its own thread. I recently purchased an '03 SL500, and absolutely adore the car, but the first order of business for me was to do away with the factory Comand system for something more modern.

I opted for the Seicane, which I ordered through AliExpress and got a great deal. The trouble was that they didn't send me the 6M cable, so I had to wait a couple of weeks for a second order to turn up. Once it did, it turned out that Seicane had shipped me the wrong cable and gave me the run-around and only solution of "order another".

I wasn't in the mood to throw any more money at Seicane, so I did some digging and planned on replacing the amplifier (the seemingly easy solution), but then I came across something which is not supposed to exist: a D2b converter on Youtube with a link to Amazon to purchase it (for ~$330).

I ordered it, it turned up the night before last, and with a lot of messing about for the past couple of days, I sort-of managed to get it working. The box looks similar to a MOST-HUR adapter I purchased for a head unit install in my '06 911, with an input for the D2b connector and a few cables going out (ACC+, Ground, Batt 12v, and D2b Wake).

I wired the ACC+ and Ground off the cigarette lighter, and pulled the Battery 12v from the Seicane cables. The D2b wake took some research but I managed to pull it from Pin 10 on the Canbus adapter on the back of the head unit (you can hear it "click" on the amplifier when the head unit comes on).

The first trouble I ran into, which took some troubleshooting with the original head unit going back in a couple of times, was that my car was equipped with a CD Changer, and given that it isn't powered by the Seicane, needs to be removed from the fibre optic loop. I purchased MB part # 000-545-33-84, which connects the two ends of the D2b plug together (this is accomplished by removing the fibre ends from the plug). I also did this with the factory phone, though I don't think it's necessary.

Now the strangest thing is that the system works - but takes a very odd work-around to get audio going. I'm hoping that someone here can offer some insight, as I've hit a wall in terms of troubleshooting. To get audio to start playing I am having to disconnect and reconnect the fibre optics elsewhere in the loop - whether at the CD Changer bypass or the phone. There is no audio on initial start (though I can hear the amp kicking in from the D2b wake cable). I have to unplug and re-attached one of the D2b plugs several times (~5) and the sound will kick in, almost like a forced wake-up. The fibre channel is working from start up though - the D2b converter box is lit up all the way to the amp and there is audible feedback when the fibre is removed.

When the audio is coming through, it's brilliant, and lovely to have the factory Bose amp and speakers. Hoping someone can help and offer their thoughts!

Here are some photos of the unit:

·
Registered
2001 CLK 430 Cab, 2004 R230
46 Posts
What is it converting? I'm not sure I see where the audio from the head unit plugs into the converter. I looked on Amazon and found the unit but it doesn't have a price.

I found this one on aliexpress, is it the same one?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: I got it working!! I decided to have another look at the fibre optic loop and it turned out that there was one more unit still attached: the cell phone module (which I thought I had removed, but that was the voice control).

Now I have audio every time at start-up, so I can highly recommend this unit. Much nicer than replacing the amplifier or using Seicane's janky 6m cable amp bypass.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is it converting? I'm not sure I see where the audio from the head unit plugs into the converter. I looked on Amazon and found the unit but it doesn't have a price.

I found this one on aliexpress, is it the same one?
That's it! Shame, that must have been posted this week as I scoured AliExpress when I ordered it from Amazon for twice the price.

The box takes RCA input from the head unit and converts it to the fibre-optic D2b line for the Bose Amplifier, making it so that we can do head unit upgrades without having to butcher the factory system (in 03/04 cars). From everything I've researched, this is brand new as it was only the later MOST systems that were previously decode-able.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm only seeing one AUXIN R and 1 AUXIN L rca jacks, is that just R+L for the front speaks or R+L for the rear speakers or is it combined?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm only seeing one AUXIN R and 1 AUXIN L rca jacks, is that just R+L for the front speaks or R+L for the rear speakers or is it combined?
Yes, I believe it's combined. It sounds fantastic, I haven't noticed any degradation in quality from the factory Comand system when using CarPlay.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well, this is certainly good news. Thanks very much for posting this!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, this is certainly good news. Thanks very much for posting this!!
No problem! Hopefully this helps people upgrade theirs, the instructions are next to non-existent for D2b.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No problem! Hopefully this helps people upgrade theirs, the instructions are next to non-existent for D2b.
Hi,

I have just recently purchased a Seicane head unit for my '2003 R230 with Factory Bose Speakers/Amp' and like you I was not keen on using the supplied 6m cable which needs to be cut and wired directly to the speakers in the doors (bypassing the Bose Amplifier :confused: ). Therefore I too purchased the D2B converter and after searching the net on how to connect it I came across your post and have a couple of questions hopefully you can help answer :)

D2B I received from Seicane (With no instructions):

My Questions:
1) Reading your post can see the D2B wires connect as follows:
"Red ACC": Positive on cigarette lighter
"Black GND": Earth on cigarette lighter
"Yellow B+ Battery": constant positive feed from head unit

"Blue D2B Wake up": This is where I am a little lost, you mentioned this wire connects to "Pin 10 on the Canbus adapter" but I am not sure which plug/wire you are referring to? below is a photo of the wires/plugs at the back of my head unit:

2) You mentioned since the Seicane head unit was not powering other fiber components they had to be removed from the fiber optic loop, can you please confirm where these fiber plugs are located?:
a) CD Changer
b) Cell Phone
c) Voice Control

3) Can you confirm where you purchased "MB part # 000-545-33-84" and is it the same plug used for looping the three connections mentioned above?

4) Do you still have the instructions you could share for connecting the other head unit plugs/cables (Not relating to DB2)?

5) I was not sent the external Wifi antenna, and the unit I received does NOT even have the connection on the back for the antenna to connect. However I was told that the antenna in now internal to the unit, can you confirm if this was the same for you?

6) Did you buy any extras with the head unit, if so how do you find them?
I bought the 'DAB Digital Radio module', 'Wireless reversing camera' and 'External DVR'

7) After using the unit what do you like and what do you dislike about it?

Many thanks and sorry for all of the questions :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
After reviewing your origional post I noticed your photo shows the "Blue D2B Wake up" wire, being extended with a turquoise colour wire which I am guessing then goes into "Pin 10 on the Canbus adapter" (highlighted red below), os this correct?

Also what are the two white wires going into the same plug (highlighted below in yellow)?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
After reviewing your origional post I noticed your photo shows the "Blue D2B Wake up" wire, being extended with a turquoise colour wire which I am guessing then goes into "Pin 10 on the Canbus adapter" (highlighted red below), os this correct?

Also what are the two white wires going into the same plug (highlighted below in yellow)?

View attachment 2710289

Thanks again.

Yes, the turquoise wire is the pin 10 for the CANBUS wake wire. I took the actual pin from another CANBUS adapter so I didn’t have to splice into the factory harness and could plug directly in (hence the blue - turquoise connection).

I believe that the two white wires are for the steering wheel connection.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

I have just recently purchased a Seicane head unit for my '2003 R230 with Factory Bose Speakers/Amp' and like you I was not keen on using the supplied 6m cable which needs to be cut and wired directly to the speakers in the doors (bypassing the Bose Amplifier :confused: ). Therefore I too purchased the D2B converter and after searching the net on how to connect it I came across your post and have a couple of questions hopefully you can help answer :)

D2B I received from Seicane (With no instructions):
View attachment 2710208

My Questions:
1) Reading your post can see the D2B wires connect as follows:
"Red ACC": Positive on cigarette lighter
"Black GND": Earth on cigarette lighter
"Yellow B+ Battery": constant positive feed from head unit

"Blue D2B Wake up": This is where I am a little lost, you mentioned this wire connects to "Pin 10 on the Canbus adapter" but I am not sure which plug/wire you are referring to? below is a photo of the wires/plugs at the back of my head unit:
View attachment 2710209

2) You mentioned since the Seicane head unit was not powering other fiber components they had to be removed from the fiber optic loop, can you please confirm where these fiber plugs are located?:
a) CD Changer
b) Cell Phone
c) Voice Control

3) Can you confirm where you purchased "MB part # 000-545-33-84" and is it the same plug used for looping the three connections mentioned above?

4) Do you still have the instructions you could share for connecting the other head unit plugs/cables (Not relating to DB2)?

5) I was not sent the external Wifi antenna, and the unit I received does NOT even have the connection on the back for the antenna to connect. However I was told that the antenna in now internal to the unit, can you confirm if this was the same for you?

6) Did you buy any extras with the head unit, if so how do you find them?
I bought the 'DAB Digital Radio module', 'Wireless reversing camera' and 'External DVR'

7) After using the unit what do you like and what do you dislike about it?

Many thanks and sorry for all of the questions :cool:

1) Think we got this one figured out in the other post
2) In my car these were located:
CD Changer - Behind driver’s seat, remove all panels until you get to the amplifier. Here’s a youtube video that helps with that.
Cell Phone - Behind the center console, there is a panel that is removed in the process of getting to the amplifier (between the two rear storage boxes), you will see the fibre wire running and a module in the center that needs to be disconnected.
Voice Control - This unit is next to the amplifier (under the storage behind the driver seat). I believe the connection is underneath so you will have to look closely for it.

When unplugging these devices, you need to remove the fibre optic connectors and install a connector loop between the two ends. The part number to accomplish this is 000-545-33-84. To remove the original connectors, it’s simply a case of pulling a grey “key” out of the lower side and the wires will come out. One thing I have learned that is huge is to wrap these new loop connectors in electrical tape: they will ground out otherwise which causes audio to cut out until the amplifier restarts.

3) I purchased the part 000-545-33-84 from my local Mercedes Benz dealer (beverly hills). They had to order them, but they were cheap ~ $7 each and were available within a day or so.

4) Unfortunately I don’t have instructions for the rest of the Seicane install - it’s pretty straight forward except for one connection that gave me trouble (something labeled key that can connect to two different parts of the harness, if I take it apart again soon I’ll send pictures of my wiring).

5) My Wi-Fi antenna is in with the audio cable wiring, it’s just a terminated cable with “Wi-Fi antenna” written on it.

6) The only extra I bought for the unit is a wireless carplay adapter which I got from Amazon - works brilliant and only cost ~ $70. Here is a link if you’re interested.

7) I love the unit - I mostly use it for Carplay which has worked brilliantly. The complaints I have all land with Seicane themselves, they are utterly useless and no help at all in the install. The d2b converter was a saviour and solved the audio concerns of my install.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, the turquoise wire is the pin 10 for the CANBUS wake wire. I took the actual pin from another CANBUS adapter so I didn’t have to splice into the factory harness and could plug directly in (hence the blue - turquoise connection).

I believe that the two white wires are for the steering wheel connection.
Hi,

Thanks for your replies 🙂, I will need to get some time to install, I didnt expect to have to dismantle as much of the car :p

Just on the two white wires you mentioned, are these wires that came with the Seicane unit (cant recall seeing white wires)?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,

Thanks for your replies 🙂, I will need to get some time to install, I didnt expect to have to dismantle as much of the car :p

Just on the two white wires you mentioned, are these wires that came with the Seicane unit (cant recall seeing white wires)?
Yes they are on the CANBUS adapter connection, I believe there were also two green wires that were on that connection that aren’t used in the install (I removed these in an attempt to adapt them to the wake up wire).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes they are on the CANBUS adapter connection, I believe there were also two green wires that were on that connection that aren’t used in the install (I removed these in an attempt to adapt them to the wake up wire).
Pitty you never took photos of all your plugs/wiring once installed o_O lol

Below is a photo of a plug which came with the unit, looks like it may plug straight into the CANBUS adapter, just need to add the blue WAKE wire?:

**also looks like the turquoise wire/pin you may have used for your blue
WAKE wire?**

Just on the fiber optic looping, did you not need to loop the fiber plug going to the navigation module in the boot (as well as: CD Changer, Cell Phone, Voice Control)?

Will keep you posted on my progress, im sure I will have more questions for you ;)

Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
After looking at the wires provided with the unit again I am thinking the following cables will be used:

Highlighted
GREEN: Go into new head unit
PURPLE: Go to car plug (maybe power)
TURQUOISE: These are the wires I was querying in my last post (B6 & B3), where does the other ends go. I only see ONE plug that fits BOTH, which is the LEFT wire highlighted YELLOW (but it also fits RIGHT wire Highlighted YELLOW too?)

Can you remember what you did with the highlighted ends of these 4x (YELLOW and TURQUOISE) plugs?

Thanks again

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Pitty you never took photos of all your plugs/wiring once installed o_O lol

Below is a photo of a plug which came with the unit, looks like it may plug straight into the CANBUS adapter, just need to add the blue WAKE wire?:
View attachment 2710551
**also looks like the turquoise wire/pin you may have used for your blue
WAKE wire?**

Just on the fiber optic looping, did you not need to loop the fiber plug going to the navigation module in the boot (as well as: CD Changer, Cell Phone, Voice Control)?

Will keep you posted on my progress, im sure I will have more questions for you ;)

Thanks again.
Yes you do, and that's exactly right - the turquoise connector went to nothing in my install so I used one of the wires to directly adapt to the pin 10 "wake up".

If you want to steal those turquoise cables for the pin 10 connection, you must remove all of the foam surrounding the connection. Once you do you'll see the slots where you can push in to remove the pins.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After looking at the wires provided with the unit again I am thinking the following cables will be used:
View attachment 2710571
Highlighted
GREEN: Go into new head unit
PURPLE: Go to car plug (maybe power)
TURQUOISE: These are the wires I was querying in my last post (B6 & B3), where does the other ends go. I only see ONE plug that fits BOTH, which is the LEFT wire highlighted YELLOW (but it also fits RIGHT wire Highlighted YELLOW too?)

Can you remember what you did with the highlighted ends of these 4x (YELLOW and TURQUOISE) plugs?

Thanks again
Looks pretty much spot-on from my memory. The green goes to the head unit, the purple goes to the factory harness's ISO plug, the turquoise B3 is the only connector used for steering wheel controls. I can't remember if the yellow ones you have highlighted connect... I would have to remove my stereo to double check.

You can also see in the cables you received that the Wi-Fi antenna is just a cable hanging out of the harness (pink).

The one thing that you need to change in that picture is where the RCA connections from the d2b box are going. You have Aux-LIn and Aux-RIn from the box going to Aux-LIn and Aux-RIn on the Seicane Harness, where they need to be plugged into Front-L and Front-R (the Aux-LIn and Aux-Rin on the Seicane side is for audio input, not output).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looks pretty much spot-on from my memory. The green goes to the head unit, the purple goes to the factory harness's ISO plug, the turquoise B3 is the only connector used for steering wheel controls. I can't remember if the yellow ones you have highlighted connect... I would have to remove my stereo to double check.

You can also see in the cables you received that the Wi-Fi antenna is just a cable hanging out of the harness (pink).

The one thing that you need to change in that picture is where the RCA connections from the d2b box are going. You have Aux-LIn and Aux-RIn from the box going to Aux-LIn and Aux-RIn on the Seicane Harness, where they need to be plugged into Front-L and Front-R (the Aux-LIn and Aux-Rin on the Seicane side is for audio input, not output).
Thanks again, it is now becoming a LITTLE clearer :ROFLMAO: ha..ha...

Just on the fiber optic looping, did you not need to loop the fiber plug going to the navigation module in the boot too (as well as: CD Changer, Cell Phone, Voice Control)?
*Must be a way to trick the other Fiber components into starting up :unsure:

After thinking about the yellow wires AND reading between the lines on what you are saying:

WHITE: go together (The white wire from CANBUS must need to go to somewhere and I cannot see anywhere else it can connet)
GREY: are not used (you already confirmed the wire on the RIGHT is not used + nowhere else the LEFT wire can go)

Agree? :)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts