Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CLK320
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) I realize that changing from the stock 16" to 17" wheels will improve handling, but decrease smoothness, can anyone describe how dramatic these changes will be? Would 18' be even more dramatic?

2) I have heard that chrome wheels are more fragile and tend to flake, etc. - especially in the Midwest/Northeast with our snow, etc. Anyone have opinions/experience with this?

I don't want to invest a ton of money on wheels/tires only to be plagued with problems.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
1) I realize that changing from the stock 16" to 17" wheels will improve handling, but decrease smoothness, can anyone describe how dramatic these changes will be? Would 18' be even more dramatic?

2) I have heard that chrome wheels are more fragile and tend to flake, etc. - especially in the Midwest/Northeast with our snow, etc. Anyone have opinions/experience with this?

I don't want to invest a ton of money on wheels/tires only to be plagued with problems.
Chrome plating does tend to be a little less durable than the standard painted finish and does not have as strong of a warranty ... the typical finish warranty for a painted wheel is 2 years while chrome typically has a 90 day warranty. Providing the wheel is well cared for and waxed properly the chrome plating can be very durable but, I do not recommend running chrome wheels in the winter time

1 - 2 of 2 Posts