Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
west virginia trails somewhere in hedgesville. trails were lame, but had a couple good technical climbs...didnt get any pictures of that trail though.

i got to pull my buddy curran's cruiser out again. that same mud hole he got stuck in, the g literally idled thru!
unfortunately the gate was locked so we had to find other means of access.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
West va line is only about hour and half from me.... where did you all go?

I love your friends Cruiser.

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
way north from you, i think. its the last exit in west virginia if you are heading up 81 north. they arent woth driving more than 1 hour for.
we ought to hook up some time though, like i said we head down to charlottesville once a month or so and the guy we wheel with down there says there are allot of trails 2 hours south of him, so eventually we will be heading down your way.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Not cool at all

Nothing personal, but that kind of bushwacking and bypassing of locked gates is what gets trails, lame or not, closed down permanently. [:(]

If you find a gate that's improperly or illegally locked, you need to go and find out why and get the situation corrected. Bypassing the gates only gives the people who lock them more fuel for their arguments.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
280 GE / 1980
458 Posts
seventyfive - 3/23/2005 3:28 PM

west virginia trails somewhere in hedgesville. trails were lame, but had a couple good technical climbs...didnt get any pictures of that trail though.
i got to pull my buddy curran's cruiser out again. that same mud hole he got stuck in, the g literally idled thru!
unfortunately the gate was locked so we had to find other means of access.
Nice pics thanks for sharing .

The Land cruiser is already a heavy truck and being stuck in the mud makes it heavier to pull .
It must have been a tough challenge pulling him especially when you are also on a mud surface . Obviously the TSL’s were doing fine [;)]

I second kerr , the land cruiser looks good , with some air lockers it will be doing better.

Nothing personal, but that kind of bushwacking and bypassing of locked gates is what gets trails, lame or not, closed down permanently.

If you find a gate that's improperly or illegally locked, you need to go and find out why and get the situation corrected. Bypassing the gates only gives the people who lock them more fuel for their arguments.

-Dave G.
From what I’ve been reading there is a lot of campaigns to close trails .
Why there are so many attempts to close them ?

ReG ,

Shebl .

·
Registered
'80 230G SWB, '03 G500, '80 280GE LWB (sold), '98 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (sold)
708 Posts
Shebl - 3/24/2005 3:15 AM

ReG ,

Shebl .
Pretty much this, this, and this...

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
RE: Not cool at all

Hipine - 3/24/2005 12:02 AM

Nothing personal, but that kind of bushwacking and bypassing of locked gates is what gets trails, lame or not, closed down permanently. [:(]

-Dave G.
Strong agreement on this. Let's not encourage this kind of trespassing and destruction on the forum.

·
Registered
280 GE / 1980
458 Posts
Mike G. - 3/24/2005 10:44 AM

ReG ,

Shebl .
Impressive way of explanation [:p].

I agree with DUTCH and Dave not to give them back up reasons to shut down the trails .

Most of us off roaders enjoys and love nature , lets show them how we care , respect and the preserve nature if we want to keep the trails open .

I have once downloaded from a thread on this forum a movie done by Alberta United Recreationists Society regarding this subject , very very nice .

Can someone post the link again ?

ReG ,

Shebl .

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RE: Not cool at all

the gates were supposed to be unlocked. one of the jeep guys we were with is SERIOUS tread lightly play by the rules kind of guy and personally set thise trail run up with the park...he got on the phone with his contact for the park and apparently the guy who was supposed to unlock the gate didnt do his job that morning.

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shebl - 3/24/2005 4:15 AM
Nothing personal, but that kind of bushwacking and bypassing of locked gates is what gets trails, lame or not, closed down permanently.
-Dave G.
ReG ,
Shebl .
i can only speak for maryland. we are run by a liberal government. every single ounce of land that is open to the public is for hiking, biking, or atvs, and thats it. we have ALOT of wilderness in western maryland loaded with 100's of miles of power lines, but the power companies have locked every single one up. my only guess is that somebody was on a power line trail and rolled...so the power companies are protecting themselves. it's like when i used to mountain bike, if one person got hurt real bad on a trail the park service would close the trail to mountain biking and hand out fines if you were caught.
don't get me wrong i am a supporter of the wildlife foundation and would very much like my children to see an eagle in the wilderness and not in a museum, but here in maryland we are stuck with having to drive to another state to enjoy our toys.

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WE WERE NOT TRESPASSING!! the guy who was supposed to unlock the gate didnt do HIS job that morning. these are LEGAL trails open to the public. the gates are only supposed to be locked during hunting season.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Like being a "little bit pregnant"

Not sure what kind of "serious tread lightly play by the rules kind of guy" would condone driving off trail to go around locked gates, whether they were "supposed" to be locked or not. And in a way that's certainly damaging to the terrain to boot (wheel spin on steep, loose slope).

If the guy can come out and unlock the gate in a reasonable ammount of time, fine. Wait for him to do his job. If he can't, come back another day or find somewhere else to play. Next time maybe call ahead of time to be sure gates are unlocked, and make sure you take the fact it was locked out of season to the appropriate authorities. I't not uncommon for these "forgetful" types to get more and more forgetful as time goes on until people stop asking - defacto closure.

Treading lightly , except when it's inconvenient, hardly counts. And treading lightly is pretty black and white in this area. Driving ON the trail = good. Driving OFF the trail = no good.
Just my opinion.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
RE: Like being a "little bit pregnant"

Hipine - 3/24/2005 10:46 AM

Driving ON the trail = good. Driving OFF the trail = no good.
Just my opinion.

-Dave G.
I think driving off the trail is probably at the top of the list of reasons why areas get closed - ahead of dumped garbage and trash.

Sad! [:(]

I've been off roading in southern Utah and northern Arizona for 20 years; and it's sad to see how many areas I can no longer visit because they've been closed.

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike G. - 3/24/2005 4:44 AM

ReG ,

Shebl .
what are the arrows supposed to represent? OH WAIT a minute you are saying we all should have drove OFF the trail to avoid going thru the mud. but i thought you guys said driving off the trails is what gets them shut down?
its just like the pic i posted of the series truck. not even 1 comment positive, just negative. i am inferior to you guys, i get the point.
i get more positive comments about my truck from strangers on the street than in this forum.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
seventyfive - 3/24/2005 1:02 PM

what are the arrows supposed to represent? OH WAIT a minute you are saying we all should have drove OFF the trail to avoid going thru the mud. but i thought you guys said driving off the trails is what gets them shut down?
its just like the pic i posted of the series truck. not even 1 comment positive, just negative. i am inferior to you guys, i get the point.
i get more positive comments about my truck from strangers on the street than in this forum.
To me, an example of an even bigger infraction are the pictures showing a G going off the trail; and then going up the grade - all off the trail on previously undisturbed understory - to get around a locked gate.

Just my observation.

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sort of like what happens when dozers come in to make way for a new starbucks. for all we know there might be a dozen deer that are thanking me right now that i gave them a new path to wander on...

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
seventyfive - 3/24/2005 12:02 PM

Mike G. - 3/24/2005 4:44 AM

ReG ,

Shebl .
I think your truck looks pretty cool. Nice lift and tires. I'm sure the tires were a big reason you got through the mud and the Toyota didn't.

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
man, i just fell out of my chair! someone noticed the reason i posted these pics. just trying to show what these trucks can do when others cant. thank you.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
seventyfive, honestly, your truck looks pretty sick with those black steelies and 36's, and i agree you are being singled out here where other photo's probably deserved some commentary too, but that doesn't change the fact that there is some validity to what their saying. I for example have a very hard time believing someone is serious about treading lightly who will not take a major issue with spinning tires off trail.

If you had to get permission to go there it makes me think it's a relatively restricted/sensitive area already?... at least as far as the authorities are concerned. If it were a specific 4x4 offroad park with manufactured mud pits and all, i think you wouldn't have received any negative commentary.

Yeah, it's cool what the trucks can accomplish (spinning tires is probably what got that toyota stuck in the first place... maybe he would have made it if he had idled through like you), but people are getting distracted by the fact that you talked about going around locked gates (especially without specifying that they were supposed to be open) and you show pictures with spinning tires, and specifically driving around off trail and spinning tires.

On mountain bikes alone it's pretty suprising how quickly people power sliding through turns can tear up a trail. It's fun, and it gets you through the turn faster, on fire roads, who cars, but on single track turns i think it's pretty bad idea.

so hopefully it's obvious the issue is not that you have a nice truck when you pull up at the gas station, it's that people have serious concern for trail closure much the same as you, but there sensitivity to what is acceptable offroading practice and what causes closure is more strict that within your offraoding group.

·
Registered
265 Posts
seventyfive - 3/25/2005 8:02 PM
I dont remember any negative comments about your car on this forum! But there is ofcause by far better chance to catch positive comments from "strangers on the street", rather than on this forum, when you are posting pictures of unnecessry land and trail damage..[}:)]
seventyfive - 3/25/2005 8:02 PM
i am inferior to you guys, i get the point.
Those are your words.
Looking at the pictures from a distance of a few thousand Km it seams obvious why the trail is closed in early spring when the soil is thawing!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts