Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

A couple of service pricing questions

717 Views 6 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  Guest (MBNZ)
I own a '91 190E 2.6 with about 106,000 miles on her. She truly runs well, however...<br> <br> It has been told to me by an independent MB mechanic that I need new struts installed and the cost will be between $500-$600. <br> <br> In addition, it appears I have a slight oil leak (possibly coming from the valve cover gasket?) which he has told me could run $1000-$1900 depending if I need a valve job or not, which I tend to believe it may need.<br> <br> Are these prices in line with anyone else's experience out there? Or should I get futher evaluations? I'm no mechanic and don't pretend to be one. Thanks in advance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Depending on how bad the oil leak is, I'd like with it. Now, if your garage floor looks like a dalmation, and you're putting about a quart in a month or so, you'd probably need to get it fixed. I highly recommend taking the car to another mechanic. Mercedes charges high parts prices and their labor costs are equally as high. Shop around!

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And Nate should know! ;-))<br> <br> But, the front bilstein struts (OEM!!) will cost you about $99 to $145 a piece (from internet, depends on the supplier-they make about 3 different types. Boge is cheaper, and KYB will run you about $69 a piece). add to that about 3hrs labor at $65 to $81 per hour. Here is your cost. Unless you are willing to replace them yourself (need 2 floor jacks, Haynes manual, and knowledge to unscrew 5 bolts-takes about 1.5 hrs per strut). As to the leak, that price sounds more like a head gasket job. Nate is right-I have two leaks-I used the oil additive stuff, and now I don't even leave stains in the driveway. Choose your battles!!!

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of additive?

Piotr -- Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated. I wished I had the time or the area to work on these stuts myself, however it is not an option. So, I will just shop around a bit. You mentioned you use(d) an oil additive that may help with the leak situation...what type?...which one?...

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: strut replacement costs

I recently replaced the struts in my daughter's 190E Sportline: $115 each from Tom Hanson at Caliber in California (800-252-6877) -- list is $153 each. Also did the two rubber buffers $9.50 and $30 each (vs $12 and $40.50 list) -- all OEM.<br> <br> Labor was $182 from my independent for a total cost (both sides) under $500.<br> <br> Normal 190E parts should be a bit cheaper than Sportline; labor shoiuld be about the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.