Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
380 se 1983....280ce 1981
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lost the light to the gear shift indicator, the one that lights up to show P N D 2 3 when you turn the lights on at night. I removed the console cover and eventually got to the decal ribbon which has a smal tube? attached to it. I could not see a globe of any description and when I squeezed the tube it felt empty (like there was no wire inside) Perhaps the light comes down the tube from a site somewhere else. Does anybody know anything about this problem? I searched the CD but could no reference to this light.
Why is there no detail about the Automatic boxes and the T bar shifter in the CD?
Next question: When you power bleed the brakes, how do you prevent the rubber caps(2) that sit on the fluid level indicators on the top of the reservior from blowing off?..I used cable ties to make sure the reservior did not pop out of the master cylinder, but i had a geiser coming out of a split cap...stopped the operatiopn and called for help!
Vehicle: 380 se 1983
Thanks in anticipation
Modem

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Modem, The light for the Shifter console is behind the dash console. it is an octopus deal with a Bulb that plugs into the octopus assy. these lights are fed by fiber optic lines from the octopus.

When I bleed the brakes I do so at each wheel with a tube on the bleeder into a soda can or clear bottle. I remove the reservoir cap first. I usually do this when I replace the brake pads. I have not had the problem of fluid spraying out of the vent caps.

·
Registered
380 se 1983....280ce 1981
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chadahar....Is the ligh source difficult to get at? Does it require removal of center consul? Is it understandable that these lights can fail after 25+ years and therefor a common problem for all 126's?
The caps on the reservior were both split and need to be replaced (if its possiple without buying a new reservior) befor repressurising the system. I just wondered if these caps also need to be restrained as they just appear to be "push on" but would be subjected to up to 20psi from the power bleeder?
Modem

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Next question: When you power bleed the brakes, how do you prevent the rubber caps(2) that sit on the fluid level indicators on the top of the reservior from blowing off?..I used cable ties to make sure the reservior did not pop out of the master cylinder, but i had a geiser coming out of a split cap...stopped the operatiopn and called for help!
Vehicle: 380 se 1983
Thanks in anticipation
Modem
Don't use so much pressure, I had a bit of leaking around the cap, so I reduced pressure.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Yes you have to remove the A/C dash panel to get at the lighting octopus and it's hidden behind some wiring. It is mounted to the heater air box.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,658 Posts
The forum archive has multiple threads on the topic.
If you are not sure how to search, please check the 'Welcome ....' announcement / tutorial sticky on top.
Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts